Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 12:05   #1
BHPian

Petes for Scorpio Mhawk- Advice Please.

My Mhawk has clocked 4000kms and thru with first service. Could someone let me know whether is it adviseable to go for Petes at this stage.

Tried to search this section for any info on a Scoprio with Petes but couldnt find any. All I saw was an Innova with Petes. Any review on Scorpio ( with Petes) will be appreciated.

Old 12th November 2008, 12:14   #2
BHPian

I am not an expert so not in a position to suggest.

I TD mHAWK couple of months back and didn't feel it underpowered or sluggish during acceleration. May be you want more and more from the beast.

Cheers!!!
Old 12th November 2008, 13:47   #3
tez
BHPian

check out the Pete's website. mahindra scorpio is not in the listed cars.
Old 12th November 2008, 13:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
check out the Pete's website. mahindra scorpio is not in the listed cars.
check this page out:
Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
Old 12th November 2008, 14:02   #5
BHPian

buddy if you want then i can arrange it for you. the petes box is available for Scorpio
PSI technicians came to india specifically to test the Scorpio Mhawk with the box!

yes its usually recommended to go for the box once you cross 10k kms. this is so that you get to know the difference more noticably i.e by 10k kms you will be well familiar with the engine behaviour.

but fact is that you can have a petes or for that matter any tuning box from day one.

i would suggest you go for it only if you do more city driving the drivability at higher gears will be much better with petes box. of course you can floor it and accelerate better . but still the top end performance frankly cant be used in our highways even.

and yes the scorpio is not such a good handler so dont think of any smart acts like taking corners at 100+ kmph and all. unless you have a suspension upgrade!

peace out
sameel
Old 12th November 2008, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Petes tuning box is available for both Scorpio CRe and M Hawk.
You will get 20bhp and 40Nm torque extra.My suggestion is if you are going for tuning box better change the suspension.Petes have Bilstein suspension for scorpio.
Old 12th November 2008, 14:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
You will get 20bhp and 40Nm torque extra.My suggestion is if you are going for tuning box better change the suspension.Petes have Bilstein suspension for scorpio.
Yup!

I believe someone in our forum has driven one such Scorpio (Cant seem to recollect the name) - but am told it rocks!

The story one keeps hearing is that the mHawk engine was detuned to its current 120bhp - apparently something about the gearbox not being able to take the power etc? Wonder if this is true, then would'nt the Petes box be detrimental for the gearbox?
Old 12th November 2008, 15:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
I TD mHAWK couple of months back and didn't feel it underpowered or sluggish during acceleration. May be you want more and more from the beast.

Cheers!!!
I am sure the Hawk will fly with the pete's box and thats what he wants
Old 12th November 2008, 16:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post

Thought it was 160bhp, 40bhp extra. Can you reconfirm.
Old 12th November 2008, 16:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Yup!

I believe someone in our forum has driven one such Scorpio (Cant seem to recollect the name) - but am told it rocks!

The story one keeps hearing is that the mHawk engine was detuned to its current 120bhp - apparently something about the gearbox not being able to take the power etc? Wonder if this is true, then would'nt the Petes box be detrimental for the gearbox?
TBHPian with nickname of SYJ has mentioned in one of his posts. I have pm'ed him and waiting for his response.

@Sameel- Thanks. Please, let me know whether I should wait till 10K or can I go ahaead for it. It may not be mentioned on their website but I am sure its available as you mentioned.

Also please, suggest- if you had a choice to put Petes in either of the following, which one would it be.

1. Scorpio Mhawk
2. Verna CRDi
3. Skoda Octavia PD
just out of curiosity.

My experience on road with Hawk is that - engine is good, refined but is dead after 100- damn slow to pick up pace.

Surprisingly so far I havent felt any issues with suspension and handling- due to better visibility , confidence is high and it goes upto 40kmph in 1st gear 80+ in 3rd gear -but then why shud it be so slow to pick up pace beyond 100 in fifth gear.?
Old 12th November 2008, 16:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I am sure the Hawk will fly with the pete's box and thats what he wants
IMO Scorpio's aerodynamics not designed for flying speed on the higher side of 150 KPH...Pete's may take it upto 200???
Old 12th November 2008, 16:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
TBHPian with nickname of SYJ has mentioned in one of his posts. I have pm'ed him and waiting for his response.

@Sameel- Thanks. Please, let me know whether I should wait till 10K or can I go ahaead for it. It may not be mentioned on their website but I am sure its available as you mentioned.

Also please, suggest- if you had a choice to put Petes in either of the following, which one would it be.

1. Scorpio Mhawk
2. Verna CRDi
3. Skoda Octavia PD
just out of curiosity.

My experience on road with Hawk is that - engine is good, refined but is dead after 100- damn slow to pick up pace.

Surprisingly so far I havent felt any issues with suspension and handling- due to better visibility , confidence is high and it goes upto 40kmph in 1st gear 80+ in 3rd gear -but then why shud it be so slow to pick up pace beyond 100 in fifth gear.?
I am not an expert but my common sense says go for Octavia. Verna CRDI is already adequately powered and mHAWK (with all bulge and corners) - No No!

Cheers!!!
Old 12th November 2008, 16:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
IMO Scorpio's aerodynamics not designed for flying speed on the higher side of 150 KPH...Pete's may take it upto 200???
Tuning boxes wont increase the top speed. It only improves the low speed torque and peak power output which helps in achieving those speeds faster. I am finding going beyond 100 too slow and hence this desire to get it peted- only if its worth. Cornering and handling issues in Scorpio - I have got used to it and have adapated my driving style accordingly.

Thanks for your opinion on choosing a Skoda for Petes rather than a scorpio. Makes sense.
Old 12th November 2008, 17:34   #14
BHPian

verna crdi anyday HellStar has done it. its worth every penny. the mileage goes up.( in city and highway) thats for him. for me it would go up in city and go down in highways. i would be ripping like anything. already doing that.

i am also waiting for my dad to give the go ahead for it. he is already angry for buying me such an awesome car( thats for me. he is more ok with adequate power! read lancer and fiesta and not a torque freak like me)

and yes the problem with scorpio is not the tranny. its the dam breaks!. And yes there is also an issue with the suspension set up used( the original figure of 140bhp was made to 120bhp so as that the suspension system cost was minimal . 140bhp was too dangerous for the scorpio current set up even now. above 100kmph the scorpio suspension set up is a loser!!) cornering is not something that the scorpio is good at!

for high way crusing the the scorpio can accelerate better with the petes tuning box. but same is possible with corners..but i would advice not to do it!! without a suspension upgrade - basically the suspension is lowered)
Old 12th November 2008, 17:45   #15
BHPian

I have almost finalised to dispose my Verna CRDi and actively considering a new Laura- 70% chances/ or if plain lucky to get a good one- used Accord V6 or used Superb. So may be if its Petes, then its on Laura instead of Scorpio as I dont have a Verna.

Most Viewed