Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 13:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenk25 View Post
Hi Guys,

Can I use these NGK iridium plugs in my diesel Verna. Will there be any advantage by doing so.
I knew diesel engine doesn't have spark plugs
Old 11th April 2007, 13:51   #47
BHPian

Guys one of my friends is in US and I wanted to get a set of NGK iridiums for my palio 1.2 . Does anyone know the exact product code for the plugs for my car.
Old 11th April 2007, 18:30   #48
BHPian

guys
i have the same problem,but my friend coming from ksa.
help us for this dudes.
Old 14th April 2007, 20:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hey! Is the Iridium plugs for the Ford Ikon 1.6 not available anymore? Mahavir Automobiles said that they dont get stock for this model anymore, be it NGK or OWS. But he did say if I'd get the part number for it, he might be able to source it? Is this info correct that its not available anymore for Ikon 1.6?

-Absar
Update: I went to Speedworks few days back. He had the plug for the 1.6 ikon. But he was quoting 850/plug. Thats too much I feel. 650-700 is the normal pricing i guess.. Anyone help me?

-Absar
Old 14th April 2007, 22:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Absar, if u think 850 is a high price. Dont go for Iridium plugs at all since U might/might not feel the difference it would make.
Instead, id suggest U to get a fresh set of plugs and plug wires.
Old 14th April 2007, 22:35   #51
BHPian

No serious mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimali View Post
K&N filter being less restrictive will simply allow your engine to breathe deeper. For performance gains you will have to have exhaust mods like a free flow system to help move the fuel mixture faster--in and out, volume and velocity. An iridium or a precious metal electrode plug has finer groundstrap and electrode, therefore exposing more of the spark to the combustible mixture and allowing a fatter, stronger spark to accurately jump the gap. An iridium projected tip plug places the electrode further inside the combustion chamber into the path of the air-fuel mixture theoretically aiding in a more complete combustion.

Can't say about cars, but the K&N filter, custom free flow exhaust and iridium plug, low resistance spiral ignition wire in my Bullet 350 has given it extra snort and good idling, something which I plan to replicate on my Bullet 500 which is being redone. I have a Palio 1.6 and as soon as I have some extra money, in comes the K&N, free flow exhaust and iridium plugs!

Lots of resources on the net. Look up
Auto Exhaust Science
Dimali, I do not intend to go for any serious physical mods. I am looking for replacement components only.

Thanks for responding. I preferably need some thing like the pete's box in one of the other threads. I would not like any increase in exhaust sound or any other type of noise too. For the above said reasons I was thinking of K&N replacement filter. Looks like I have no luck there.
Old 14th April 2007, 22:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Engine breathing deeper also means more performance, though it may not be MUCH more.
Old 15th April 2007, 08:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Absar, if u think 850 is a high price. Dont go for Iridium plugs at all since U might/might not feel the difference it would make.
Instead, id suggest U to get a fresh set of plugs and plug wires.
Hi nitrous, well its not like that. People here seem to be getting it for around 700. So i was wondering if its overpriced. Do you have Iridium plugs on your ikon?

-Absar
Old 16th April 2007, 10:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Guys one of my friends is in US and I wanted to get a set of NGK iridiums for my palio 1.2 . Does anyone know the exact product code for the plugs for my car.
Go here http://www.ngk.com/sparkplug411.asp

At the bottom of the page you'll find the chart for NGK's numbering system

Hope that helps

Dimali
Old 16th April 2007, 23:16   #55
BHPian

Please scour the internet before throwing brick bats at me.

If your ignition system is up to snuff then Iridium plugs will not improve power out put. Due to excellent conductivity of Iridium you would have to experiment with plug gap to get close to the original power output compared to normal recommended spark plugs. Please do remember the equation H=I squared*R*T which I think we all did in class 11 or was it class 10. The Iridium plugs will only help if you tend to rev the engine above the max suggested by your engine manufacturer. If you drive with in the rpm limits specified by the engine manufacturer and stick to recommended compression pressures( by not messing with your head gasket thickness or head shaving) you are better of with stock plugs because they are poor conductors of electricity(compared to platinums and Iridium) and hence produce a fatter spark at normal plug gaps for better fuel ignition and a bigger bang. Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 17th April 2007, 13:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If your ignition system is up to snuff then Iridium plugs will not improve power out put. Due to excellent conductivity of Iridium you would have to experiment with plug gap to get close to the original power output compared to normal recommended spark plugs. Please do remember the equation H=I squared*R*T which I think we all did in class 11 or was it class 10. The Iridium plugs will only help if you tend to rev the engine above the max suggested by your engine manufacturer. If you drive with in the rpm limits specified by the engine manufacturer and stick to recommended compression pressures( by not messing with your head gasket thickness or head shaving) you are better of with stock plugs because they are poor conductors of electricity(compared to platinums and Iridium) and hence produce a fatter spark at normal plug gaps for better fuel ignition and a bigger bang. Bye and wear your seat belts.
Certainly precious metal plugs will not improve output/performance on its own!

The precious metal plugs come pre-gapped and you may mess up the centre electrode to ground strap alignment resulting in a wayward spark if you change the gap. Due to the construction and material properties, precious metal plugs will resist fouling, resulting in fewer misfires and hopefully better fuel economy. Also with the fine wire construction, the centre electrode retains less heat (quenching) because of less contact/surface area with flame front. Also, it requires less voltage to for the spark to jump the gap.

As far as 'fatter sparks, better ignition' theory with normal spark plugs, I'm not sure if that is correct.

Higher strength, conductivity, construction higher melting points of precious metal plugs would point to a more efficient combuston and longer lasting plugs providing you are using the correct heat range.

My 2 paise

Best

Dimali
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:44   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hey! Is the Iridium plugs for the Ford Ikon 1.6 not available anymore? Mahavir Automobiles said that they dont get stock for this model anymore, be it NGK or OWS. But he did say if I'd get the part number for it, he might be able to source it? Is this info correct that its not available anymore for Ikon 1.6?

-Absar
Hello Absar,

Have you got Iridium plugs for your Santro? If you have, can you let me know the part number of the plugs and how much it costs. I wanted to have them in my Santro, also wanted to know how it performed in a Santro.

Thanks
Prem
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prem456 View Post
Hello Absar,

Have you got Iridium plugs for your Santro? If you have, can you let me know the part number of the plugs and how much it costs. I wanted to have them in my Santro, also wanted to know how it performed in a Santro.

Thanks
Prem
Hey Prem! My Santro is totally stock, I'm sorry! I think BHPian 'razor4077' , has OWS Iridium Plugs on his Xing. PM him and ask him.

Cya
-Absar
Old 30th June 2009, 11:17   #59
BHPian

NGK Iridium plugs part numbers, prices and dealers - Bangalore

I would like to share my experience that I underwent during the process of buying NGK Iridium plugs(IX) for my Palio 1.2 2003 model. The first mistake that I did was abstaining from conducting a detailed review on the suitable part numbers and best deals in Bangalore. So with my limited research, I ended up contacting "Sachin's AutoShop" in Koramangala who sold me the plugs with the part number 'BKR5EIX' for Rs.2500/- set of 4 (Rs.625/plug).

Later on, to pacify my conscience, I performed a further research and then I bumped upon this NGK India website where I found a different part number(DCPR7EIX) being recommended for 1.2 Palios as compared to the one (BKR5EIX)that was sold to me by AutoShop. The one that was sold to me was recommended for Uno 1.0/1.2 as per the NGK India website

Also with regard to the price, I found that I had been charged an additional amount of Rs.135/ PLUG when compared to the Distributor prices(distributor details found in the link below).

Part number finder:

NGK Partfinder Catalogues

Distributor Network:

NGK

Though I had done an exhaustive search across the TBHP knowledge base, in brief I have learnt that I need to spend more time on performing detailed reviews before buying any non-stock automobile spares specially for MOD parts.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th June 2009 at 11:44. Reason: Please use the SEARCH function before creating a new thread. Post moved.
Old 30th June 2009, 16:06   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The first mistake that I did was abstaining from conducting a detailed review on the suitable part numbers and best deals in Bangalore.
Nope, your first mistake was not reading our tuning article that clearly states:

Quote:
Performance plugs are pointless on a stock / marginally modified car. Iridium plugs have hardly any benefits and you will never notice them anyway. In case you do install the same, ensure that you pick up plugs with the correct heat range for your engine. Approximate cost = Rs.800 – 3,500.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks