Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2005, 00:10   #1
cnu
BHPian

Which floor mats to go for ?

Which type of floor mats should one go for - the rubber ones or the fabric ones ?

I think each of these has their own adv/dis-adv but which ones are more practical ? Expert comments please.

Thanks
cnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2005, 10:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

looking at the weather in bangalore these days and if you dont have a guy to wash your car and keep it spic and span every morning go for rubber mats. they are easy to clean do not leave any stains nor do they stink. very easy to clean.
fabric mats look good bt once wet or dirty will stink till you wash them and cannot be wiped dry....leave a mouldy feel to the car.
had fabric mats but through them out for the above reasons have rubber mats now.very happy
Old 28th April 2005, 10:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

There are these transparent mats made of nylon/synthetic material which last much longer. Downside is that the material is a little slippery when wet so make sure buy one with grooves. They give the same grip as rubber but cost about 50% more. Rubber tends to crack and break
Old 28th April 2005, 11:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

real gold embossed..with diamonds studs would be nice................just kidding..............

tsk1979 hit the nail on the head. i use these on my wife's car and they are better than the dealer installed "skoda" mats on my RS.
Old 28th April 2005, 11:55   #5
BHPian

as far as i know rubber, they will tend to crack only if they are directly placed on the hot bottom of the car. but with another kind of mats already there on the bottom, mats made of good rubber will remain good atleast for three to four years.

this is due to my experience with mats put in my accent for 3 years, which are not the HGP but are purchased from a business associate who manufactures them. they are simple but are with grooves and havent cracked or hardened.

then there are mats which are made from high quality are made from silicon rubber and that is what makes it transperant. they are of very good quality and give higher shelf life.

but rubber mats are always preferable to fabric mats as for the reasons already mentioned in other posts.

shubbhi
Old 28th April 2005, 12:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

I use carpet mats in the dry season, and switch over to rubber for the monsoons. The mats only cost a few hundred rupee's, so its a buy-use-throw thing for me.

The car originally came with clear plasticy/rubber kind of mats which were dreadful! Would never stay in place and slide up under the pedals. Not sure what transparent mats you guys are talking about, but I sure don't recommend them to anybody.
Old 28th April 2005, 12:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

i too cannot stand the transparent prefer plain black rubber on the floor.
i know some one is going to bring it up that i have chrome finish....but those are reversible mainly on the black side!!!
Old 28th April 2005, 16:29   #8
cnu
BHPian

I read somewhere that carpet mats help in reducing outside noise into the car. Is this true ?
Old 28th April 2005, 16:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

yes, that would be true. Notice what the hood insulators in Skoda's and Tata cars are made of as well. They absorb some of the noise.
Old 13th March 2006, 12:35   #10
BANNED

When I bought the car I got rubber mats for free from the showroom. But someone told me that there is a mat called "felt mat" which should me used below the rubber mats.

Is there any need to use any other mats just below the rubber mats OR can I use rubber mats alone ?
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

All the rubber floor mats I have seen are *NOT* designed to accommodate the floor-mounted accelerator pedal. How do you guys manage? I have chopped off a portion of the mat to accommodate the A-pedal, but the mat keeps creeping up the A-pedal after few hours of driving.
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:26   #12
BHPian

fabric mats are a pain to clean even during service as some dust always remains within. they just look good. rubber mat might not look that great but are a practical choice.
Old 4th January 2009, 11:11   #13
BANNED

What about the boot mat? Does it matter if it's rubber, fabric or is it recommended to get the transparent nylon/synthetic material mats for the boot too?
luvjascha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2009, 11:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Check out the ones on JKDas's Safari. I think they are really nice one. I have them at my house and they are doing good duty.
Old 4th January 2009, 11:35   #15
BHPian

Rubber-the lord of the car floors

In India, especially down south , where it's all about rains, rubber's the best you could go in for. Makes it easier to clean, plus the 'moisture stink' factor isn't there.

Once the fabric gets wet and soggy, I bet no one would want to touch it with bare hands
in the rubber mat section- go for grooved rubber black mats- you can see the mud, which will WANT to make you clean it (unless you keep the bedroom the same way! ) plus the grooves prevent spilling over.

The plastic sheet Idea isn't good at all- simply because they can't keep water localised to an area.
ascertain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks