Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 16:18   #1
BHPian

Upgrade options for Scorpio's suspension ?

I own a 2004 non-CRDe Scorpio which has a Leaf Spring suspension in front & rear. The car has done ~70K on the odometer & the suspensions they are still going strong, atleast that is what I think .

However, a thought came to my mind recently (don't know if et al it is conceivable), but I have thought of sharing it with stalwarts & gurus here to have an opinion.

- Is it possible to change the rear suspensions & replace them with a Coil Spring or even better, multi-link suspension - the ones that comes with VLS/VLX variant now a days?
- Are these suspensions available outside the authorised service stations? I know leaf springs are readily available anywhere.
- Can a local garage-waala do this job or has to be done at the authorized service station?
- Would they do it ever?
Old 13th February 2009, 17:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

i think pete's offers Bilstein suspension for the scorpio
Old 13th February 2009, 20:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

my suggestion would be- avoid this experiment.

dont try this even at the mahindra A.S.S., they know very little! most probably, i dont think they will agree to this.

if the job is done properly, you will enjoy the ride. but if a minor error or negligence is shown, results will be real bad.

converting leaf springs to multi link is not a easy job.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My suggestion : Get better quality tyres & revamp your suspension (with stock components). Don't go anywhere near the kind of modifications that you speak about.
Old 14th February 2009, 12:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear forbhaskarm - There are 3 setups within leaf spring suspension for Scorpio between 2002 to 2005. Please post some photographs of your car's leaf springs, particularly the rear shackles and also post some photographs of the front suspension stabilizer bar mounting on the chassis to enable me to guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 14th February 2009, 12:10   #6
BHPian

I would advise you consult turboindia(same as petes).he was talking of Bilstein for scorpio but not sure whether your model will apply!.just PM him
Old 15th February 2009, 21:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear forbhaskarm - There are 3 setups within leaf spring suspension for Scorpio between 2002 to 2005. Please post some photographs of your car's leaf springs, particularly the rear shackles and also post some photographs of the front suspension stabilizer bar mounting on the chassis to enable me to guide you in totality.
Sure Dhabhar bhai. I will take some snaps & post them here as soon as possible.

This thought has also originated from the fact that it seems my car is transferring the potholes straight into the cabin which I think wasn't the case few months earlier.. the ride kind of has become very harsh. Could this be a problem with the suspension or the shockers have gone kaput?
Old 18th February 2010, 21:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fitted the Bilstein shocks on my Scorpio

Hi All,

Today I got the Bilstein B6 shocks fitted on all the 4 corners of my Scorpio (2004 leaf sprung, non CRDE). Got this done here at Bangalore.

I drove back this evening from the workshop (15 km drive) through curves, potholed and mud roads as well.

The results are pretty good. The boat effect & swaying has reduced considerably, handling is much more assured. The ride has not become harsher, just a bit firmer, in the sense that I feel that the vehicle responds quicker to my steering inputs. I felt a bit of reduction of body roll on the curves as well (while taking the inner ring road curves at 60 kmph).

Will do a lot of driving in the coming days on varied surfaces / off roading too, where the Bilsteins are supposed to score well !

Cost : 38k for the full set

Cheers !
Old 19th February 2010, 10:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Would love it if you could elucidate on the ride quality some more. Are there different settings for the B6?

Has the bumpy/bouncy/pitchy ride increased thanks to the firming up?

How is the ride quality on the highway? The Scorpio does not take very kind notice of not-so-level roads. How is the B6 fairing there?

Congrats on the buy!

Best Regards.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Would love it if you could elucidate on the ride quality some more. Are there different settings for the B6?

Has the bumpy/bouncy/pitchy ride increased thanks to the firming up?

How is the ride quality on the highway? The Scorpio does not take very kind notice of not-so-level roads. How is the B6 fairing there?

Congrats on the buy!

Best Regards.
Thanks EssYouWee,

The Bilstein B6 that I fitted does not have different settings.

The ride has not become more bumpy or pitchy, going by my city driving experience so far. On the contrary, I feel my Scorpio now settles down much quicker after hitting small bumps and undulations, which has taken care of my main grouse of the constant bobbing up & down / unsettled feeling which was there earlier.

I did some crude push pull checks (pressing the dampers by hand on the floor with my body weight), on both the stock damper which was removed, as well as the Bilstein damper. I found the Bilstein to be at least twice as difficullt to stroke down, compared to the stock damper. This is what contributes to the better damping & results in better handling, I guess.

Our inner ring road here at Bangalore offers highway standard roads, I did upto 80 kmph on some short stretches, the feeling is good again.

The guy I bought it from (Petes, through Hot Tracks, Bangalore) warrants the shocks for 1 lakh kms. Hope this helps!
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Mooza. Can you please post the part number from the box for the front and back? I want to import them directly as I feel that Pete's is too expensive for this.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi 4x4addict, I will try to mail you the details. Do you plan to use it on a Scorpio? If not, it may not be a direct fit, as some other part number/model may be applicable for other vehicles.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mooza ji,

This is the first time, I hear from someone about Blistein suspension for Scorpio. Please post your experiences here, when you find anything different.

Congrats on this good mod.
Old 24th February 2010, 20:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks agbenny, will be glad to share my experiences as I eat more miles and roads with this mod !

Over the past few days I have been approaching some speed breakers at an angle to check out the rebound settling. I find 30 to 40 % improvement here as well (quicker settling back). However, because of the high seating position, one cannot do away with the pendulum type swinging effect in these cases, but the pendulum does settle faster, I can say! On another trial, I approached speed breakers straight at 30kmph, the Scorp took off and came down with reduced nose and tail pitching, which felt good. I heard a slightly louder thud on landing, which is understandable on account of the firming up of the suspension.

Again, mine is a leaf sprung Scorp (older 2004 model), which is the right candidate for this mod, I guess, and therefore I find a good deal of improvement in the handling. I have not driven a coil spring/multilink Scorp, so honestly I do not know the type of improvement this mod can offer for these models (Also, I do not know if the later model Scorps use stiffer gas shocks, or whether these have been launched only with the Xylo).

For a few weeks, I was caught between the composite leaf spring and this mod. I finally decided on the Bilsteins for all 4 corners, as I felt that since the composite leaf spring is being offered currently only for the rear, the front would still remain choppy. Moreover, an upgrade of just the shocks is not, in my opinion, as bad as tinkering with the springs, which are the main load carrying members.

Cheers!
Old 8th April 2010, 21:21   #15
BHPian

Hi Mooza,

I too have a 2004 Scorpio and am interested to go in for Bilstein. Good that I found this thread and found the information posted by you quite useful. Would appreciate if you can let me know the part numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks