Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 10:57   #1
BHPian

Own a modified car in India? Might want to read this

Dabba gadi makeovers are illegal

Get your mods endorsed on you RC books...
R32_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2009, 11:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

If this is correct, it amounts to supreme stupidity and short-sightedness on behalf of the lawmakers. Lets evaluate the process they have laid out to get a modified car approved:

How to get modifications approved
> First, get the modification plans approved by the original car maker

How? Does the rule say who/what dept in the original car maker's office is qualified (or has the requisite powers as per statute) to approve a proposed modification?

> Modify the car according to the approved plan

When modifying a building structure, it is compulsory to submit a plan made by a qualified architect. In a car's case, what compulsory degree is required for the modifier before he is allowed to make a plan?

> Get the modified car approved by the original car maker

Again, does the rule say who/what dept in the original car maker's office is qualified (or has the requisite powers as per statute) to approve a modification? Secondly, what are the remediations in case deviation from a plan is found?

> If approved, the owner has to get the car certified at one of three government-approved certifying agencies

Homologation in India is an exhaustive process where the car is put through extensive testing and pounding around tracks. This is why manufacturers (when homologating a particular model) have to write off the particular car which is being used for homologation. What in an individual's case? Would I like to take back my precious baby after it has been ripped, stripped and tested by government agencies? Would you?

> Once cleared by them, an RTO certificate will enable the owner to drive around town without being pulled up

Any idea how much time the process will take, or how much greasing of palms is required?

The only way I can see this idea work is if modifiers decide to have 4-5 fixed designs in their portfolio and patent them. In that case, one can only go to "Mr.X" modifier if he wants "Y" model, as Y is patented by X. The benefit to Mr X is that he can design a prototype and homologate it beforehand, so that the design already comes with an RTO clearance.

But if that becomes the case, the modifier ceases to be anything more than another small scale automaker? What of individuality and customization?
Old 20th March 2009, 11:42   #3
BHPian

This would render all the trucks & Buses that have their body built outside the factory as illegal. Is RTO going to impound all of them then?
Old 20th March 2009, 12:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

When did we have any realistic law regarding motor vehicles? Speed limit of 10kmph on some open & clear roads, I could push my car faster than that speed limit.

Quote:
This would render all the trucks & Buses that have their body built outside the factory as illegal. Is RTO going to impound all of them then?

Rightly pointed out - one chassis, many artistic designs & shapes of buses & trucks!
Rather than cars, the buses & trucks are the real dangers on our roads. This issue seems to have cropped up due to the reason that a 'celebrity'? is involved!
Old 20th March 2009, 12:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

That car is the "Noble" car imported under license category of value add and not for the purpose of road use. It was rejected by Noble as DC who did the prototyping showed the car to the public thereby breaking contract terms. Noble refused to accept the car back (it was lying at an associates bonded warehouse for long). DC took it back and started using is as display for various show (with minor modifications), a topic well covered on teamBHP. So this whole Ikon registration is fake and illegal and fake!!! DRI where are you?
Old 20th March 2009, 12:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
That car is the "Noble" car imported under license category of value add and not for the purpose of road use. It was rejected by Noble as DC who did the prototyping showed the car to the public thereby breaking contract terms. Noble refused to accept the car back (it was lying at an associates bonded warehouse for long). DC took it back and started using is as display for various show (with minor modifications), a topic well covered on teamBHP. So this whole Ikon registration is fake and illegal and fake!!! DRI where are you?
Ah! Now I remember where I saw that shape before. This was a Noble M14 which DC converted to a "DC GO" in 2004. Noble refused to accept the car and wrote a very strong letter to an Indian auto magazine (ACI or Auto India?). The whole issue got subsequently hushed up.

So much for being a modified Ikon. As usual, the media has no clue about the actual turn of events and has published what they think is another juicy story involving a celebrity.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 20th March 2009 at 12:13. Reason: Proper punctuation
Old 20th March 2009, 13:10   #7
BHPian

Well according to the law a GPS must be approved too !
Old 20th March 2009, 13:17   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

And how are they going to find out what mods a car is running? I doubt our mama's are that qualified to figure out about remaps, tuning boxes, turbo's et all.
Old 20th March 2009, 16:09   #9
BHPian

Another ridiculous rule, which im sure given a few months will fade away just like many before.
Old 20th March 2009, 17:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

lol .... is this joke or what ??

what about the chennai autos, i bet all of them will be out of road .....
Old 20th March 2009, 18:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
And how are they going to find out what mods a car is running? I doubt our mama's are that qualified to figure out about remaps, tuning boxes, turbo's et all.
no they surely wont figure out, but some good wheels or sporty skirts and bumpers or a fiery exhaust note will get their attention and give them enough reason to impound your car for testing or just grease hands to evade the consequences as they know that somebody who pays a bomb to modify it wont give it to them atleast to test. I see it as just another money making gimmick. The degree of inconvenience and limitations they create for the citizen while going through the procedure will just make things more expensive to afford in a country where the passion for good automobiles is already only a rich mans thing
Old 20th March 2009, 18:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Instead of coming out with ridiculous rules, why don't they try implementing laws against criminals or try booking corrupt Government Servants ??

Things which would make a positive difference to the common man.

Mindless law to say the least..how does the government get effected, if I paint my car parrot green & put golden wheels ???

Hope better sense prevails.
Old 20th March 2009, 18:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Yes, RTOs will impound all such vehicles and subject them to frontal and lateral crash tests to check their safety and roadworthiness. If found fit, they will subsequently be returned to their owners without apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
lol .... is this joke or what ??

what about the chennai autos, i bet all of them will be out of road .....
You said it, Rahul, I just said it again in bold, italics and underlined...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
I see it as just another money making gimmick.
How true...
Old 20th March 2009, 19:41   #14
BHPian

so everyone with freeflow is going to get their car impounded.

its time to make all our cars sleepers.
Old 20th March 2009, 20:22   #15
BHPian

I hope we could write to some auto magazine to take up the issue and publish an article so that the government might give it a consideration. Going through all this for modifying one's car seems very stupid and unpractical idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks