Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 01:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Boost can & will be further upped to 22-24 psi range tuned for 97 octane & 30-35 psi on race fuel.
Jitu, where are you sourcing race fuel, if I may ask?

And must agree with the others, tuning your own car makes you a tuner, which you are.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:50   #32

Quote:
Well he has ECU maps for 87 octane,91 octane,97 octane and street and race maps also for all of the above.All self made.Thats why i call him a real tuner.
A dumb question, but is it possible to have multiple maps on the same ECU and select the one you want?
i.e. if you want to up your boost, can you simply pick a map along with it, or you would need to remap your ECU every time?

Boost I guess can be controlled with Electronic Boost controller.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:26   #33
BHPian

Yes, not exactly but similar.Search for tri-phase on the net.Viper sells them.The are really awesome.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Stand alone ECUs have this function, yes. You can have multiple maps loaded and switch between them according to your wish. Most stand alones can control boost as well, so you do not need a boost controller to control boost.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Yes, not exactly but similar.Search for tri-phase on the net.Viper sells them.The are really awesome.
Triphase is something else altogether. it has no MAPS at all. Nor can you store anything on it. It is not even an ecu.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

some more info and pics for the R18 from honda tuning:

R18 Engine - Tech - Honda Tuning Magazine

other than this the intake by weapon r seems good .
Old 16th April 2009, 21:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

The TOVA article has some nice information as well.

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html
Asian Civic 1.8S Power
Old 16th April 2009, 22:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R18A View Post
A dumb question, but is it possible to have multiple maps on the same ECU and select the one you want?
i.e. if you want to up your boost, can you simply pick a map along with it, or you would need to remap your ECU every time?
It doesn't makes sense to switch to multiple maps on the fly, though depending upon the standalone, you can program it to switch to secondary maps upon certain conditions.
its always better to tune for particular fuel till amount of boost it can support. eg if i tune for 91octane for up to 15psi without any knock i would stick to that map for daily drive, if you fill regular 87 octane on this tune depending upon engine combination & C.R chances are there it might knock, though most standalone have knock processing capability & depending upon knock level & knock count the ecu will retard the timing.
For race day you want maximum power, so we know for the race week we will only use 97octane so we keep a separate map tailored for 97 octane fuel.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:52   #39

Quote:
its always better to tune for particular fuel till amount of boost it can support.
So if the ECU is tuned for 15 PSI, will it also work fine if your boost is reduced to 10PSI, or will that required a different tunning?

Quote:
For race day you want maximum power, so we know for the race week we will only use 97octane so we keep a separate map tailored for 97 octane fuel.
^ Yeah, that!

So where is this separate map kept and what is the process of switching over from earlier map to this one?

Is there any good link/thread to learn more about this?
Old 17th April 2009, 13:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

A laptop is connected to the ECU and the map is uploaded to it. I believe Jitu bhai is using the Hondata s300, which has the ability to switch between two stored maps. So he can switch between two stored maps by flipping a switch or change these maps by connecting his computer to the USB port on the ECU.

His ECU also has boost control. I don't know how configurable it is or how it works out since I'm no engine tuner. But my guess is that changing the boost requires a different map. Then again, the ECU can use the MAP to see that there is more air coming in and therefore, more fuel can be sent in...

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 17th April 2009 at 13:50.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:06   #41

In his thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/53434-my-1st-ever-dyno-graph-my-turbocharged-hybrid-ohc-320-whp-3.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Rocam
The car is setup with boost by gear & RPM, depending upon track & launch conditions, i can run boost as low as 4 psi for my first gear launch after xx rpm & can increase boost gradually as RPM increase, same goes for 2nd gear & hit full boost at 3rd.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
hey congrats. do you drive at 17psi all the time or do you lower it to 1 bar or 10 psi?

It will be immaterial as i will be running different boost on different gear, though i can switch from low to high boost setting by flick of a switch.
Can someone explain how this is being done AND IF the same can be done with Civic?
Old 17th April 2009, 16:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if the ECU is tuned for 15 PSI, will it also work fine if your boost is reduced to 10PSI, or will that required a different tunning?
Logically yes as the map is typically divided into zones to manage the same and a boost controller is used separately to manage boost. I Jitus case it is an integrated boost controller so he has it tightly set up with his maps hence needs to flash in the map each time he needs to reset the boost hence multiple maps. (Jitu please confirm if this is right)

Quote:
So where is this separate map kept and what is the process of switching over from earlier map to this one?
Is there any good link/thread to learn more about this?
On his laptop and is burned into his ecu as required. As for learning this you will need to learn how to tune an ecu.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone explain how this is being done AND IF the same can be done with Civic?
His ECU has boost-by-gear. Therefore, he can set up what kind of boost the engine gets depending on gear. He can limit boost in the lower gears to control wheelspin and thus get a good launch and then in the higher gears, let it run full force and get all those 300+ WHP.

As for whether it can be done on the Civic? The short answer is, no. The longer answer is, yes, if you are willing to lose A/C, airbags, ABS/EBD, power everything and the instrumentation console.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 17th April 2009 at 16:44.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Logically yes as the map is typically divided into zones to manage the same and a boost controller is used separately to manage boost. I Jitus case it is an integrated boost controller so he has it tightly set up with his maps hence needs to flash in the map each time he needs to reset the boost hence multiple maps. (Jitu please confirm if this is right)
Sorry Bro that ain't right. I am running only 1 MAP.

The way i did is like this,
1) Standardize the fuel which you gonna run for tune & which you will use it most on daily basis (daily drive)
2) Get 4,7,10 Psi W.G Springs, by using 10&4 Psi w.G Springs you can boost up to 14Psi & by using 10 & 7 psi W.G springs you can go up to 17 Psi without Boost Controller, though spring combination is mainly dependent on the manufacturer of W.G. since i am running Tial 44MM external W.G, i ordered for separate springs as well.
3) Put in a 4 Psi W.G spring & tune for Boost, it wont cross 4psi but you need to make sure the exit port of W.G is large enough & its recommended to dump it in free air towards downside. if you are able to make your down pipe right,Exit port of W.G outlet right then you wont face boost creep issue.
4) Then tune for 7, 10,14,17 psi gradually till your engine combination supports the fuel with out Knocking.
5) Once you know that your Map is ready from 4 to 17psi psi on 91 octane fuel then you add boost controller
5) Minimum boost is decided by W.G spring, in my case i am running a 7Psi W.G spring & to increase boost more than 7 i use boost controller.
6) When Boost controller is active, i can vary the duty cycle fed to W.G top port via solenoid.
7) The solenoid controls the W.G & ECU controls the duty cycle fed to solenoid , which i can vary depending upon gear & RPM of Engine, the data for which is picked up from the standalone itself. increasing duty cycle increases the Boost & reducing duty cycle reduces the Boost.
8) All i have to do is decide how much boost i want by gear & RPM & tune the duty cycle accordingly which feeds the solenoid. i don't have to worry about the MAP since low portion of Boost is already tuned separately using W.G Springs . All i have to do is upload the MAP & i am done.

Note: Every Tuner has his own way to tune his setup, i did this way cause i felt this was right for me, it was lengthy & time consuming but its customized to my setup & the fuel i run. Its not easy as i type, as there are so many other parameters which you need to observe while tuning. So pls consult your tuner & listen to him when you want to tune your car.

& Yes One should keep some Margin for Error as well.
Old 18th April 2009, 00:53   #45

Thanks Jitu, this clears lot of things.
Awesome tuning man!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks