Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2005, 23:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aftermarket Steering Wheel

Guys i need a new steering wheel for my M800, i'm looking for a nice three spoke smaller and slightly thicker model. Where can i get one in bangalore and for what price? Not looking for the expensive ones but good quality stuff. I don't like wood rimmed wheels. The original steering wheel is too large and thin.

Thanks.
Old 6th June 2005, 23:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think the Sparco look-alike ones will suit your need.
Old 6th June 2005, 23:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whatever make you go in for, make sure you buy a steering of the same diameter coz a smaller steering can make turning it, a bit hard.

Shan2nu
Old 7th June 2005, 00:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Shantanu: The main reason i want to go for smaller steering wheels is due to ingress and egress problems. Increased turning effort isn't a problem though can manage that and the car being an 800 helps.

Dipen: Which company makes those Sparco lookalikes? Are they reliable? I don't want the steering to break or come apart or anything (i'm being paranoid) should be atleast as reliable and strong as an OE wheel.

And to where to get em in bangalore? I'll be in bangy shortly.
Old 7th June 2005, 07:37   #5
BHPian

I got a pretty good one from JC Road. The guy quoted around 2000 bucks. I got it for 600 finally after haggling with him. Its pretty good no problems so far. Its on a fiat premier padmini. But its not so small. Just a bit smaller than normal steerings. But i did find a few wooden finish ones which were quite small there.
Old 7th June 2005, 07:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Whatever make you go in for, make sure you buy a steering of the same diameter coz a smaller steering can make turning it, a bit hard.
No Shan2nu, not really a problem in that sense. I've a small steering in my 800 (ugly finish though) and having no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
And to where to get em in bangalore? I'll be in bangy shortly.
Any car acc shop in JC Rd/Richmond Rd/Koramagala/Residency Rd. Think twice before getting a wooden one. They tend to slip inside your grip.
Old 7th June 2005, 09:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey does these after market steering wheels ...which are small and squarish have a button for the horn( like the momo lookalikes )??...is it worth to get the steering changed to a smaller one and have the horn somewhere on the dash?...wouldnt it help to have a smaller steering wheel for spirited driving?? phewww too many questions.
Old 7th June 2005, 12:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot
hey does these after market steering wheels ...which are small and squarish have a button for the horn( like the momo lookalikes ).
going sort of off topic, but do you get steerings with enough configurable buttons, like in the logica wheel? so that you can set up the horn, indicators, wipers and dimmer on the steering itself?

This would mean that you wouldnt have to take your hand off the steering for anything!!!!
Old 7th June 2005, 12:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

wont this be a safety hazard .as the wooden steering wheels may break in case of a crash or when u bang into it.and this can be fatal.
Old 7th June 2005, 14:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
I've a small steering in my 800 (ugly finish though) and having no problem.
Hey Rudra...... I bought a sports steering wheel for my 800 but the steering shaft was too short and wasnt going through the HKS hub for the threads of the shaft to reach the fastening nut.......The hub mated to the s/wheel with no problems.......which hub are you using?
Old 9th June 2005, 22:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. I'll start looking at the JC road shops.

Quote:
Think twice before getting a wooden one. They tend to slip inside your grip.
Yes, this is why i didn't want a wood rimmed wheel, and i don't like the feel of wood when i hold it. And them breaking with a bit of rough handling is a worry.

If i'm not able to find a good one then i'll prolly fix the Zen's three spoke unit in my car. I like the zen three spoke and it's smaller by half an inch, not much but better.

Hey the best steering i like is the classic old Amby one with three spokes and a dome shaped centre with H in it and the nice chrome ring for the horn. Lol but i can't fit it in my 800. It would look best in an old well kept period amby with that centre meter console.
Old 9th June 2005, 23:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

the present zens have 2 spoke steering.try to find the 3 -spoke ones that came with cars in 2001.
the 2 spoke sukks.

i suggest u avoid wodden ones for safety reasons
Old 9th June 2005, 23:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

The 3 spoke ones came with the ZEN VXi deluxe models and they are really good looking.
They are much similar to the late 80's Honda Accord steering wheels.
Old 10th June 2005, 00:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes that's the one i'm talking about our, our zen vxi has the same one. That's where i got the idea from
Old 10th June 2005, 06:48   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
which hub are you using?
Hub made by my friend Sanjay Agarwal. My problem was little different. I had to change the wiper motor. Changing the wiper motor to a new Maruti multi speed motor started the whole process... New switch cluster would leave a very little space to grip the steering...So one needs to make enough room between steering and switch...Standard hub seems not giving the right gap...So I had to make a new one....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks