Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 20:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Cosworth comes to India! Sets up facility in Pune. EDIT: Now shut down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
Can anyone suggest any solutions
Use a trans from a Qualis or even better an Innova.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 21:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
I am planning to do an engine swap on my contessa using their 2.3L Performance Crate Engine - 280BHP

The only issue here is that they do not provide transmission with the engine. The idea of fabricating a gearbox here is giving me the jitters

Can anyone suggest any solutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Use a trans from a Qualis or even better an Innova.
Hi,
The 280 BHP might be a problem even for the Innova GB.
Cant think of a practical reliable solution (in the Indian context). The new (rumoured 6 speeds for Storme/ Scorpio which can handle the full potential of the 2.2s) will be difficult to source initially. And even those will not handle 280 bhp.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 21:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Cant think of a practical reliable solution (in the Indian context). The new (rumoured 6 speeds for Storme/ Scorpio which can handle the full potential of the 2.2s) will be difficult to source initially. And even those will not handle 280 bhp.

Regards
Sutripta
My thought is that a hi performance petrol will make only as much torque as a regular turbodiesel.

Innova trans is probably used in the Fortuner which is even higher. Just looking at torque ratings.

2ndly I figured shift quality on a Innova would be more suitable to a sports sedan rathern than Tata/Mahindra.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 22:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Innova trans is probably used in the Fortuner which is even higher. Just looking at torque ratings.
Always wondered about it. Have been unable to get my hands on a parts catalogue/ service manual.
For Fortuner ~350 Nm.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st June 2012, 15:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
My thought is that a hi performance petrol will make only as much torque as a regular turbodiesel.

2ndly I figured shift quality on a Innova would be more suitable to a sports sedan rathern than Tata/Mahindra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,

Regards
Sutripta
thanks for the info guys

ok, i just had a word with the cosworth executive and he is no help at all with the tranny. On asking for recommended / nominated transmissions, brother doesnt have a clue

Borg warner T5 is the best bet i guess, then again it will have to be imported. The only ones available are rebuilt and i guess that will be a problem with imports technically unless i tweak the paperwork.
Old 1st June 2012, 20:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

^^^
The weakest link, I guess, will be the UJs and the Half Shafts. Clutch, GB, diff: don't know which is weakest.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st June 2012, 21:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

Put a big lazy V8 in there (or V6). Conti with a high revving 4 cylinder does not sound right.
Old 5th June 2012, 19:01   #68
BHPian

well, the idea is to create a car which looks classic from the outside and modern from the inside, t4 the duratech 4 cylinder engine. Didnt want to go for a carb engine because of the same reason.

Cosworths providing clutch as an option, so that should not be a worry but the halfshaft UJs certainly seem to be the prospective weak link

I wish Cosworth could just provide engine and tranny, could have made the job so much easier
Old 6th June 2012, 12:22   #69
BHPian

Recently went to CarAx in pune and saw the Cosworth flag. Upon enquiry they confirmed that they are selling the cosworth products.

Interested people can contact them.
Bhakti Cars
105/1/1/4,
Pune Mumbai Expressway,
Opp. Hotel Sadanand Resorts,
next to Radha Hotel,
Baner, Pune 411045. Email:bhakti.cars@gmail.com Landline: 020-27390666 Mobile: +91 9689880344 Store Timing:10.30 am to 8. pm
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 09:25   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Following just came in from Cosworth:
Hi GTO,
Thanks for that info. My swift engine is dead. How much do you think it will cost me to source such an engine and a stand alone ECM for my car? Even a rough estimate should do as I have to save up for it. Many thanks again.
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:03   #71

Sorry to be the guy to break this to you folks...!

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Since I was interested in getting my Fiesta ECU remapped, I wrote them a lengthy mail regarding my requirements.

To my dissapointment, I did not recieve any reply from them for almost 2 weeks inspite of follow up reminders. I decided to visit their office as per the Pune address (Hinjewadi) provided on their official website. Again to my dissapointment, I was told that they have shifted their office to Baner. I asked the person at this office if they had a forwarding contact number or address. He gave me the contact no of somebody from Cosworth Pune's admin team. When I called on this number, the person who answered was curt to say that Cosworth no longer operates out of Pune and have wound up their office here and slammed the phone down.[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Can anyone help me with any additional info they might have or a reliable place in Pune, where I can check out remapping possibilities ?

[/FONT]
sid78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:10   #72
BHPian

There is no more Cosworth in India, at least officially. They might still stock a few products with a few retailers, but they've shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid78 View Post
Since I was interested in getting my Fiesta ECU remapped, I wrote them a lengthy mail regarding my requirements.

To my dissapointment, I did not recieve any reply from them for almost 2 weeks inspite of follow up reminders. I decided to visit their office as per the Pune address (Hinjewadi) provided on their official website. Again to my dissapointment, I was told that they have shifted their office to Baner. I asked the person at this office if they had a forwarding contact number or address. He gave me the contact no of somebody from Cosworth Pune's admin team. When I called on this number, the person who answered was curt to say that Cosworth no longer operates out of Pune and have wound up their office here and slammed the phone down.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Old 25th February 2013, 09:45   #73
BHPian

We are very much still a 'Kitna average deti hai' country. That combined with high custom duties has contributed to Cosworth leaving India.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 13:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
We are very much still a 'Kitna average deti hai' country. That combined with high custom duties has contributed to Cosworth leaving India.
They left cause of incomplete study and analysis, setup, commitment. If Pete's is doing fine with all imported products (not complete engines), Cosworth could have thought about a similar model too.

Racetech too uses all imported (customs duty etc + stuff ) goods and are doing fine, so could Cosworth. You need to modify your business model and product portfolio as per local cuisine and needs like McDonalds.
dipen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:50   #75
BHPian

I was just about to write a stinker to them regarding their service. Are you sure they have closed shop in India ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks