Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 13:28   #16

@ all the stock gurus:

Can you please take the paint discussion elsewhere so i can focus on other vital aspects instead of getting my thread cluttered. As I said before, I'm not a big fan of stock parts and prefer functionality over aesthetics anyday. Last time I read another such pointless argument about the seiko LED clock and it was nothing but a waste of bandwidth. To each his own man. Thats the whole point of a community. Why not discuss engine swaps, head swaps and mpfi or even camshafts for that matter. No 2 people have the exact same opinion about something. Learn to co-exist man. We have a lot of these stock anal guys in the RD350 community too and they are considered idiots when they take it to an extreme. Im not trying to compare or try a flamewar but trying to get answers. thanks for your time

You could be better help by throwing some light on the queries I have posted twice. That way you'd be helping me out guys. I am not going to keep anything on this car factory stock except the name. Obviously not go to the other extreme of crazy mods but keep the car functional and running for the next 5-7years atleast

@prajeep - you are right man. In a fit of hurry I got the 1.6L baleno engine with transmission, ECM and other bits from the junkyard. Off a running car. Lucky me but it will be tad overkill for the car. I guess i'll keep it for a later date if I plan on doing a zen project or just get rid of it For now maybe I'd just do with a 1.1L alto upgrade with tranny and mpfi

Cheers

Atul Haldankar

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff :
Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further

Last edited by bblost : 17th October 2009 at 15:14.
Old 17th October 2009, 17:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think the place of this thread is in the MODDED CARS section,since the owner is has made it clear that he is not interested in the stock parts/classic value
Old 18th October 2009, 21:45   #18

I would like this thread to be deleted as it serves no purpose being thrown around in 4 different sub forums now, hence confusing the real guys who's post would have really mattered but they don't know where the heck this thread is thrown tomorrow morning. Either way it hasn't been too much help and I guess i'll do the learning good ol finding out

Thanks all for your time but no thanks

Cheers
Atul H
Old 19th October 2009, 15:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul_astro View Post
I would like this thread to be deleted as it serves no purpose being thrown around in 4 different sub forums now, hence confusing the real guys who's post would have really mattered but they don't know where the heck this thread is thrown tomorrow morning. Either way it hasn't been too much help and I guess i'll do the learning good ol finding out

Thanks all for your time but no thanks

Cheers
Atul H
Atul, in your earlier posts you have mentioned that every one should learn to coexist, i have taken the liberty to post as i hope you would understand the motive of my post, your post is in a section of the forum which talks about vintages are clasics, the ss80 (especially the DX) have claimed a vintage status in the recent years, all the people who venture in these areas of the forum are either vintage car lovers or restorers. A vintage restoration has 2 options either back to orignal or hotrod, Your car mod idea falls into the later. I have seen a lot of ss80 with the latest bumbers and even with the latest headlights(fabricated) though these mods are extreamly functional but every enthusiast who looks at those mods has a heavy heart(its in the blood no one can change), Ajay99 is one of the few guys i respect on the forum due to his sheer knowledge about vintage and classics. He has a lists of things to look at his finger tips and thats respectable. Atul i understand your liking for 2 stroke bikes and i am sure if i tell you due to limited availability of RD parts i am going to plonk a pulser 220 engine in a RD, you would really go mad laughing. We are an ever growing pool of like minded people and i would really be happy to learn a lot from you, Please refrain making using the "A" word for people who argue because they know something.

Just my 2 cents

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 19th October 2009 at 15:27.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:22   #20

point taken. my apologies
Old 19th October 2009, 17:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
point taken. my apologies

Thanks,

Now can we have some updates on the car, i am kind of greedy to know more. What is the current status and WIP pics?

Pramod
Old 20th October 2009, 00:22   #22

Quote:
i am sure if i tell you due to limited availability of RD parts i am going to plonk a pulser 220 engine in a RD, you would really go mad laughing.
thats not what my argument is pramod..Its more like im rebuilding my RD and instead of the same classic engine, Im putting a 400cc liquid cooled engine with better technology from its elder brother with better fuel atomization. The RD community would never object to it what say?

I sincerely believe the 12/16 valve mpfi engines run better, more efficient than their earlier versions. Hence I can run a better powered setup while making the most from an engine thats efficient. In this same quest I happened to pick up a 1.6L baleno engine complete and I think it'd be obvious overkill for the setup. Now scourging the junkyard for a 1.1L mpfi.

The car needs extensive body work. It began today. I did take a few pics. Will put them up in a bit. The bonnet is rotten beyond repair. I managed to get a slightly used one from the junkyard. The chassis will need to be strengthened to take a bigger engine [1.1L or even a 1.3L if it permits.]

The suspension will be taken off the big brothers too, along with the brakes. Hopefully I'll manage to get my hands on EBC pads as well.

The tinwork should take 15 days approx. The panel bits, the flooring and the mounts will need time to be worked on I guess. In the meantime I can hopefully get my hands on the other cycle bits. I did manage to get a few rare things like the bonnet lock, the rear glass hydraulic unit and a MGP lockset. I need suggestions on the clear glass headlamp units too.

Any leads on my previous queries?

Cheers

Atul H
Old 20th October 2009, 10:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats not what my argument is pramod..Its more like im rebuilding my RD and instead of the same classic engine, Im putting a 400cc liquid cooled engine with better technology from its elder brother with better fuel atomization. The RD community would never object to it what say?
I agree, your car you are the boss :-)

Quote:
I sincerely believe the 12/16 valve mpfi engines run better, more efficient than their earlier versions. Hence I can run a better powered setup while making the most from an engine thats efficient. In this same quest I happened to pick up a 1.6L baleno engine complete and I think it'd be obvious overkill for the setup. Now scourging the junkyard for a 1.1L mpfi.

The car needs extensive body work. It began today. I did take a few pics. Will put them up in a bit. The bonnet is rotten beyond repair. I managed to get a slightly used one from the junkyard. The chassis will need to be strengthened to take a bigger engine [1.1L or even a 1.3L if it permits.]

The suspension will be taken off the big brothers too, along with the brakes. Hopefully I'll manage to get my hands on EBC pads as well.

The tinwork should take 15 days approx. The panel bits, the flooring and the mounts will need time to be worked on I guess. In the meantime I can hopefully get my hands on the other cycle bits. I did manage to get a few rare things like the bonnet lock, the rear glass hydraulic unit and a MGP lockset. I need suggestions on the clear glass headlamp units too.

Any leads on my previous queries?

Cheers

Atul H
Atul, restoring a legend is always a heart over mind game, but some times mind has to win . Best of luck with the project, please ensure you give a tough compatetion to Edmunds blue beast,

Just one sugestion, even though you change whats under the hood please do not change the exteriors IMHO, try sourcing orignal sealed beam headlights, Break lights and indecators, change stuffs like

Engine (1.1)(i have my own doubts mating it with the current GB)
Break booster(zen)
Wiper assembly(you can fabricate the newer model wipers)

Paint the car is a nice and suttle color(farrari red/ Beamer blue/beamer black)

Put 13" alloys and s drives.

IMHO make it a sleeper, make it the best of both the worlds.

Pramod
Old 20th October 2009, 17:38   #24
BHPian

Hey Atul ,

Just a small suggestion - Always stand* next to your car , with passion & pride & josh , make your & your cars presence felt . In your 2nd picture you standing as if you have no option but to have this disinterested passionless pose.

* if thats you posing with the car
Old 20th October 2009, 18:46   #25

haha..thats a lot of observation man. Its a random look though. Im always proud of my bikes or cars, in whatever form, if I remember correctly. My earlier projects have also been right from scratch as well

A few pics from my earlier builds attached

Cheers

Atul H
Attached Thumbnails
My SS80 DX restoration and rebuild :)-n646002110_1456302_1240.jpg  

My SS80 DX restoration and rebuild :)-n646002110_2122234_995009.jpg  

My SS80 DX restoration and rebuild :)-n646002110_2122235_4619331.jpg  

My SS80 DX restoration and rebuild :)-n646002110_2309975_6762948.jpg  

My SS80 DX restoration and rebuild :)-n646002110_2309973_4125216.jpg  

Old 21st October 2009, 09:36   #26
BHPian

:-) bro , good transformation of bike , waiting eagerly to see what you transform your car into
Old 21st October 2009, 09:49   #27
BHPian

off topic, wanted to ask out of curiosity. Did you manage to re-register your restored bike? did you manage to get an insurance?

With soo much of restorations/modifications, i am sure the original RC needs to be changed as they carry the original specs and also most insurance companies would not issue an Insurance certificate if body & heart of the cars/bikes arent what they are supposed to be.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:57   #28

the bike was already registered mate. The insurance was done as well. They don't ask too many questions really

cheers
Atul H
Old 4th December 2009, 20:17   #29
BHPian

Sincere Advice

My sincere advice on the restoration.

1. check for any structural corrosion like the a,b,c pillars
2. the engine member mounting & lower platform for corrosion
3. suspension seats on the monocoque
4. firewall & structural area behind the dashboard/above firewall structure for corrosion

Just ensure for the structural strength for these vital points as they could break apart while driving leading to catastrophic issues.

I had these issues sorted out after I quit my job & literally worked on the car for nearly 4 months to get the structural issues sorted. Note: I personally did all the tinkering & metal works, like cutting, shaping, welding, grinding, machining to required size & shape.

Consider this with a reliable automobile mechanic/engineer who is really enthusiastic in the restoration, rather than interested only in your financial offer.

ALL THE BEST !!
Old 13th January 2010, 01:58   #30
BHPian

Hey Atul,

Any updates on the progress of your ride.

One more suggestion, it would not be advisable to change to a higher rating engine, as it contribute on excess load on the corroded monocoque. Also the brakes & suspension would not hold the extra load on them too.

Waiting for updates

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks