Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 10:49   #1

How to keep the Black Bumpers Black?

Hi....

I have a 2002 model Palio and the black bumpers were fading grey.
A street vendor showed me a demo of a liquid spray in a gas station a few days back. I was so surprised and I got it from him. I sprayed the liquid and the whole bumper was jet black. I was so excited because my white car looked great with the bumpers and windows blacked completely. The look of the car changed altogether.

I enjoyed the new car look my car got for about 2 weeks. I had given the car for a service this weekend and I see the bumpers grey again. When I rub the bumpers with my hands, the rubbed part is black. What is the problem here? How did this happen? What should I do (or should not do) to keep it black? Please help.
Old 4th November 2009, 13:49   #2
BANNED

^ Regular polishing say once every two-three weeks will keep them in top condition .I have a M800 and the pumpers are still black after 14 years of usage .
Old 4th November 2009, 13:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
^ Regular polishing say once every two-three weeks will keep them in top condition .I have a M800 and the pumpers are still black after 14 years of usage .

and what polish is it that you talk about?
Old 4th November 2009, 14:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Most vinyl polish will do the job. But I have seen some Palios & Santros with serious colour change in their bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I have a M800 and the pumpers are still black after 14 years of usage .
We are talking about bumpers, what about you ?
Old 4th November 2009, 14:27   #5
BHPian

There's only one lasting remedy for faded bumpers... either live with them or change them!! I've tried everything prom polishes to repainting nothing works in this department. (sounds like I'm talking about my office!)
Old 4th November 2009, 16:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well here's what I saw some time back. My neighbor uses the regular cherry/kiwi black liquid polish for his Alto's bumper and its been good 6 years since he's been using the car. The bumper still looks new, out of curiosity I asked him once does it really help ? Bang came the answer, look at the bumper yourself and decide.

Apparently he does this exercise once a month and spotless is an understatement.Needless to say I went ahead and did the same thing to my parents alto. Works well and I do it once a month. You have nothing to loose give it a shot.
Old 4th November 2009, 16:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Well here's what I saw some time back. My neighbor uses the regular cherry/kiwi black liquid polish for his Alto's bumper and its been good 6 years since he's been using the car. The bumper still looks new, out of curiosity I asked him once does it really help ? Bang came the answer, look at the bumper yourself and decide.

Apparently he does this exercise once a month and spotless is an understatement.Needless to say I went ahead and did the same thing to my parents alto. Works well and I do it once a month. You have nothing to loose give it a shot.
I've tried this too and it works very well ! However, I've tried it with the normal black wax polish, not the liquid one !
Old 4th November 2009, 22:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Certain products which will help:
Wax Shoe Polish
Waxpol Leather and Vinyl Polish
Pidilite's Bumper Black (Same as Black liquid polish)

And moreover, I've used Waxpol on tyres and the result is fantastic, better than 3M's Tyre spray (Useless).
Old 5th November 2009, 10:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Certain products which will help:
Wax Shoe Polish
Waxpol Leather and Vinyl Polish
Pidilite's Bumper Black (Same as Black liquid polish)

And moreover, I've used Waxpol on tyres and the result is fantastic, better than 3M's Tyre spray (Useless).

I too have found good results with Waxpol Leather and Vinyl Polish on black plastic bumper, door handle, mirror etc.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

another + 1 on the shoe polish. its cheap and it works . Dont have black bumpers, but it keeps the rest of the trim ship shape
Old 5th November 2009, 11:33   #11
BANNED

Yes it is the bumpers i am talking about .The issue with black wax polish i faced was too much wax deposits on the bumpers which are difficult to clean later on.
I used Formula 1 for a long time .But i have switched to Motomax bumper polish since last few years .If i apply too much polish dust sticks .So i just apply the polish and wipe using light arm with a damp cloth and i do not face dust issue this way.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:37   #12
BHPian

3M also has a product to keep the plastics looking good. Don't remember the name though. Best to wash the bumpers properly, let it dry and apply a thin coat of the plastic protector.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

i used turtle wax 'black in a flash' spray. that was excellent and the shine lasted for weeks. the dust gets accumulated pretty fast due to the spray. but can be cleaned easily after the spray and look is great.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quite Interesting. Wont the normal shoe shine attract dust?

And God save the person who rubs his way across your car.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

I use Armor-All liquid spray. It is water based and is not any wax. It does wonders on plastics and rubber. (I bought it from Germany, don't know if it is available in India)

Armor All® - Go Ahead. Stare.

and I guess this is the product I am using

Armor All® - Product Detail

Last edited by clevermax : 5th November 2009 at 12:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks