Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2007, 13:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the K rating is the colour of the light.
Approximately
3K is yellow
6K is white
8K is bluish
12K is ultravioletish

Higher K may look good cosmetically but is less functional.
Our eyes are most sensitive to yellow light, less to white, lesser to blue and blind to UV!
That is why most people who use white lights will face visibility issues.

Xenons can live with this limitation because their light output is 3-4 times more than halogen bulbs, so it compensates for lesser sensitivity of eye for white light. But for Xenon lights also it is recommended to stay below 5-6K color for good visibility.

Also a very imp thing is that xenon should always be used with projector headlamps, so that the light does not get dispersed and goes focused as a beam.
This is due to another limitation of Xenon, that unlike regular bulb, there is no filament whose ligt can be focused thru a reflector, hence a need for projector.

Xenon without the projector optics would disperse widely (hence sharply reducing the range of the light) and will also blind the oncoming traffic. This is the reason why in most countries after market Xenon conversion is illegal, incl in India. An improper showoff setup is bad for others and dangerous for you too...
Old 6th August 2007, 04:10   #32
BHPian

can these be fitted onto an ALTO...the OEM lighting sucks bigtime...headlamps on the ALTO get completely washed out by on coming traffic...are these lights better than normal halogens?
Old 6th August 2007, 10:02   #33
BHPian

st7677-that was a good write up, good to know about all the terms and what the real xenon is.
Old 6th August 2007, 10:53   #34
BHPian

Yes,... these white lamps prooves to be a drive-spoiler during my weekend drives on the mumbai-pune expressway. even with a divided highway the light dispersion is very disturbing during heavy rains.

i coudnt resist interfering a discussion on optics especially when it is going the "isshtyle" way rather than the technical and sensible way.

ahem,... please refer to my previous writeups on common terms used in lighting....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/382108-post245.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/381303-post243.html

A sincere request to those who care for co-motorists and those who care to be sensible... please dont use xenon bulbs in reflective enclosures.

After installation of high wattage lamps / super-bright xenons in reflective enclosures, please align your headlamps (in older cars) or choose a lower than normal focus on your headlamp leveler to avoid glare to oncoming traffic. High wattage lamps like 100/90 or 130/110 on H4 must be slightly aligned lower than the stock lamps.

I have been using a 100/90 on my OHC since 8 months and a 130/110 on my friend's Scorpio and these have been aligned lower than normal and the cut-off of the low-beam can be seen clearly from within the vehicle, thus ensuring no glare to oncoming traffic.

Last edited by gbpscars : 6th August 2007 at 11:02.
Old 6th August 2007, 11:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

I would second the opinion about safety to other drivers. These kits are not safe. You cant have cheap HIDs just for the look. It could be about someone's life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks