Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 12:07   #16
BANNED

@noidaboy : About the locking system to keep it in place i have already thought of a system to keep the HID bulb in place using a custom designed clip with the two screws for which provision is already provided .
Is it possible to use H7 , H3 etc in lieu of D2S ? I want to know is there any difference in filament design in various types , length of the glass tubes of bulbs or it is just the base that is different ?
If it just the difference in base than i can certalinely manage to fix other type like H7, H3 etc in lieu of D2S bulb with slight chipping off the bulb base to make it fit in D2S type .
What do you say ?
Regards
Old 24th December 2009, 15:33   #17
BHPian

Merry Christmas guys.

Hi guys I am back for a few days from my celebrations in this festive season, hope you all are having a blast too. Still won't have time until Jan 2nd week to actually do the R&D and troubleshoot the issue with the installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Well the focus issue will be there as pointed out by smokinn until you get the correct bulb.
Yes that is what seems to a major part of the issue. I got a H3 HID kit and guess we need to get a D2S HID set. I should have known better, but atleast now we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
........@Diiesoline : ........I do not intend to hijack your thread ......
Oh no worries about that buddy, we pursue the same objective and end result so I am happy to have you flying with me on this project

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
@ Trust
Sourcing D2S bulb is expensive and painful, ...........So fitting the bulb and stopping it from not moving is very tough, Even if some jugaad is made, it tends to shake and spoil the focus time after time. No intension to discourage you, But do keep this in mind while using them.
Thanks for the insight and the information bro, the forewarning is appreciated. My bulbs are not moving so far so I think the Jugaad is working. Its just a question of getting the right bulbs and adjusting the set to get the most illumination out of it.

Quote:
@noidaboy : About the locking system to keep it in place i have already thought of a system to keep the HID bulb in place using a custom designed clip with the two screws for which provision is already provided .Regards
Dude that is awesome can you post a few pics of this custom clip that you have got yourself. That would be of great help. Which car are you making the fitment on?

Overall, the challenges are the fun parts in getting these out of the box mods done. I am happy that we have such enthusiasts and such knowledge readily available.

Talk to you soon. Have a great New Year
Old 24th December 2009, 20:54   #18
BANNED

@diiesoline : I have a design in mind but to complete it i need the bulbs .And i will surely share the pics when it is done .
Also i have managed to find some info on on D2S and H7 differences .

The LCL (Light Center Length) of a H7 Bulb is (0.98in) 25.0mm, LCL of a D2S/D2R is 27.0 (1.06in).

So to fit in H7 in lieu of D2S i need certain modifications like grinding the H7 bulb base by 2 mm to bring the focal length as it would be in D2S bulbs .
Also i went to Philips website today and they have D2S type HID kit in India .I will try checking the price of that .I dont want to end up buying something and later realize it was waste .Hence i am tring to do it right now with Rs 2800/- Chinese HID kit .
Old 25th December 2009, 01:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
@noidaboy : About the locking system to keep it in place i have already thought of a system to keep the HID bulb in place using a custom designed clip with the two screws for which provision is already provided .
Is it possible to use H7 , H3 etc in lieu of D2S ? I want to know is there any difference in filament design in various types , length of the glass tubes of bulbs or it is just the base that is different ?
If it just the difference in base than i can certalinely manage to fix other type like H7, H3 etc in lieu of D2S bulb with slight chipping off the bulb base to make it fit in D2S type .
What do you say ?
Regards
There is variation of length and size between H3,h7 as well, You can use them only if you manage to get a converter holder that fits on to the d2s holders and makes the H3,H7 bulb fit.

The base of H7 has lesser dia against D2S.

Using H7 is still a sensible options because the length of d2s vs H7 is pretty same. H3 will be shorter for it,hence may again spoil the focus.

Last edited by noidaboy : 25th December 2009 at 01:49.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:13   #20
BHPian

i will not prefer that you put up the H7 in D2s projectors,we have tried it but still the focus wasnt upto the mark

you have to grind up hte h7 lock a little bit to insert it into the bulb socket.

try to search the h7 projectors instead of try putting up the jugad bulbs
Old 25th December 2009, 22:01   #21
BANNED

@smokin : Does the laura also use H7 Projectors for low beam with HID as OEM .
I mean i can get H7 projectors of Laura for low beam but i do not know that are they halogen type from factory or HID type .If i they are Halogen type then i believe they will be very poor with HID bulbs due to huge difference in bulbs .However if they are HID type from Factory then it will be cake walk.

Regards
Old 26th December 2009, 01:10   #22
BANNED

i managed get few pics of D2s bulb about which i had written earlier regarding its LCL , length and base .Putting for reference .
The first pic is side view of D2S type bulb, The center pic is the base (very similar to D2R) , and the third is technical pic showing the LCL at 27 mm .Now all the light is generated here .In H7 typ e bulb LCL is 25 mm. So to fit H7 type in lieu of D2S i need to reduce 2mm from LCL of D2s .How i have decided to scape of bit from the h7 bulb .
Attached Thumbnails
Laura Projectors on Santro-large_d2s.jpg  

Laura Projectors on Santro-d2s_bases.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 26th December 2009 at 01:15.
Old 26th December 2009, 01:26   #23
BANNED

Ok i got the confirmed info for both H3 & h7 bulbs too but i am posting here for H7 since that is much more important for me .Now few question arise .Does the HID H7 bulb available here match up in specs with the halogen H7 . I can only hope so as Philips is also making H7 , H3 etc kits for use in normal reflectors and the LCL should be same else illumination and focus will go for a toss.
Also i conatcted Philips today and they have said they do not supply D2S directly in India and he also mentioned it is a OEM product and it is very difficult to source the same even abroad in case of Philips and he also warned me not to consider buying or i end with fakes .Anyways i am getting too confused now.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Laura Projectors on Santro-h7_ca1255-dia.jpg  

Laura Projectors on Santro-ca1255updia.jpg  

Laura Projectors on Santro-large_ca1255up.jpg  

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 26th December 2009 at 01:34.
Old 26th December 2009, 17:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
@smokin : Does the laura also use H7 Projectors for low beam with HID as OEM .
I mean i can get H7 projectors of Laura for low beam but i do not know that are they halogen type from factory or HID type .If i they are Halogen type then i believe they will be very poor with HID bulbs due to huge difference in bulbs .However if they are HID type from Factory then it will be cake walk.

Regards

in laura there are two models first one uses h7 which have just the halogen bulb and the top model L&K have the d2s hid kit

if you go to the company and ask for the hid bulbs a single bulb D2s would cost you 11000/-
and that too will not be used as the ballast as inbuilt retainers for the D2s bulb(which is not normal wiring as like th other bulbs)

as for the D2s ,d2r d2c all bulbs are same and can fit to any d2 Series projectors where D2r is just for the Reflector type which have the special reflectors like the corolla altis ..

It has the OEM hid kit in D2r bulbs
Old 1st June 2012, 23:49   #25
BHPian

Re: Laura Projectors on Santro

Could you please tell me what was the Bulb type on Santro OEM fog lights

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks