Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 09:35   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
hey,

Quick question.. Do you have some kind of compressor/tank? Or do you go to the bunk and fill the air into the bags?
Airtank or compressor is not required just to change the stiffness of spring. Tyre air pump can be used to change the pressure when needed.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Hi Rohit, Got the chance to take some spans of suspension while the vehicle was raised. Please suggest on the right Airlift Part number to be procured.
Deepak, offcourse you can fit the airbag inside. You will need to measure the inside diameter at top and bottom. Measure the spring height when parked. After that find a suitable airbag from their catalog for the part number. It's bit tedius but they stock the standard US car kits.
Old 16th January 2014, 12:34   #33
BHPian

Re: Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan

Thanks for this post, got a similar air bag suspension system for my 2008 Hyundai Verna. The product is Firestone Coil-Rite
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-fireairbag1.jpg  

eapen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 13:09   #34
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapen View Post
Thanks for this post, got a similar air bag suspension system for my 2008 Hyundai Verna. The product is Firestone Coil-Rite
Please share more pictures and details of the installations, cost etc. Would also like to understand your experience when used with load?

Cheers

KPS
Old 20th January 2014, 11:27   #35
BHPian

I do not carry heavy loads regularly (occasionally only). I did this as a suspension improvement exercise to reduce the rear body-roll.

Below is the sequence I installed the air bags. First I had the rear coil springs removed. Cleaned the OE springs & inserted the bags by applying dabs of Teflon grease to reduce friction. I had read threads in the net where people have tried to install the bags without removing the springs & damaged them.

I chose to install the bag opposite way, ie: the air nozzle facing upwards - since the piping & the nozzle will isolated from road dirt & stones. This required drilling a hole on base of the spring plate to route the airline through the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-fireairbag2.jpg  

Old 20th January 2014, 11:29   #36
BHPian

A rubber bush was altered for the hose to pass through & fixed onto the drilled hole to prevent the hose from rubbing against the chassis on coil spring movement.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-fireairbag3.jpg  

Old 20th January 2014, 11:31   #37
BHPian

Observe that the air-line pipe is facing upwards & the free gap with the shock removed with vehicle raised on a jack. The blue plastic spacer to prevent damage to the nozzle sits on top of the bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-fireairbag4.jpg  

Old 20th January 2014, 11:36   #38
BHPian

Vehicle unladen weight resting on the coil springs with un-inflated bags. Though the bags are un-inflated it does press horizontally against the coil springs & the top\bottom spring dampers.

Firestone has separate air filling valves for each airbag. These valves were fitted on the bottom-center of the rear plastic bumper. Currently I maintain 10psi in these bags.

With this pressure it is stiffer - both bound & rebound , than the urethane Spring spacer / buffer cushion I was running in-between the springs
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-fireairbag5.jpg  

Old 20th January 2014, 12:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapen View Post
I am looking for similar for Skoda Rapid.

Read through entire Thread and I have a lame question, How to select the right product for car?

If you can PM me your location, will try to visit and check.
Old 27th January 2014, 23:39   #40
BHPian

Hi RohitRK, though your Mod was done 2 years back, wanted to check with you as to how it has been holding up (not sure if you have upgraded).
I had a real hard time yesterday with our Embera crdi and a boot full of clothes my friend picked for his shop.
The car was scrapping and bottoming to glory even at crawling speeds (very irritating) and the rear wheel had an inch of travel left from touching the arch inside (will get the rear suspension checked but when checked earlier the dealer had assured me that they have enough life remaining).
I immediately knew I needed to Google a solution or identify the problem, came across your thread here, please guide me if this can be an answer to my problem. I am at my wits end and this could be a copy paste job. Thanks.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 27th January 2014 at 23:40.
Old 27th January 2014, 23:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrk View Post
A large sedan like Embera CRDi with equally large boot comes handy for the interstate family outings. But comfort oriented suspension creates a problem of low ride height due to overstuffed boot (~300Kg) with 5 adults and 2 kids in the car. Also at the high speed and uneven surface the body would roll which never happens in case of light or medium load. After lot of search and DIY I think I have a good system in place to firm up my suspension under heavy load condition.
The kit is procured from AirLift
Air Lift Company - Products - Air Lift 1000

The installation was straight forward as my rear coil springs have a hole in the center. both the airbags are connected with T that is connected to a air valve in the boot. Based on the load condition one can increase the pressure from 5 PSI to 20 PSI.

At 5 PSI the airbags have no impact of any parameter. While at 20PSI under heavy load and nasty speed breakers I can hear "Woosh" of airbags supporting the spring. Also the car is does not have any roll at higher speeds even under heavy load condition.
Attached are the images of installation along with some other add on like Scanguage, Steering mounted universal remote, carputer etc.
Hi RohitRK please guide me on the efficiency and life of this product based on my query in my previous post.

MODS: Sorry, wanted to use quote feature on the previous post and on refreshing missed it, can I merge both these posts?

Last edited by s_pphilip : 27th January 2014 at 23:44.
Old 26th March 2014, 17:02   #42
BHPian

Apologies for the delayed response. Did not log in for sometime. Yes the mods are holding very well. for past few years now. I pump 20PSI only when I have loaded boot and 5 PAX inside the car. There is no point asking AIRLIFT about which size to order for your car. They have no access and interest in the other country cars models. The only way is to measure your own springs inner diameter minus some clearance. Then the height when the springs are loaded with no passenger inside the car. This is the max height you can have with the inner diameter.

Now based on their kits on Amazon and other sites you can compare which vehicle kit will retrofit for your size. I can offocourse send you the kit I ordered. I have to use polyeutherene disk to supplement the height.
Old 30th March 2014, 18:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the delayed response. Did not log in for sometime. Yes the mods are holding very well. for past few years now. I pump 20PSI only when I have loaded boot and 5 PAX inside the car. There is no point asking AIRLIFT about which size to order for your car. They have no access and interest in the other country cars models. The only way is to measure your own springs inner diameter minus some clearance. Then the height when the springs are loaded with no passenger inside the car. This is the max height you can have with the inner diameter.

Now based on their kits on Amazon and other sites you can compare which vehicle kit will retrofit for your size. I can offocourse send you the kit I ordered. I have to use polyeutherene disk to supplement the height.
Rohit,

Could you assist me with the part number for the suspension mod you ordered from Amazon. I am keen on getting this done on my Embera.

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2016, 23:26   #44

Hi Rohit,

I check amazon and there are multiple models of it, example: Airlift 60818 1000 / 60769 / etc. Which one did you exactly buy ?

S B

Quote:
A large sedan like Embera CRDi with equally large boot comes handy for the interstate family outings. But comfort oriented suspension creates a problem of low ride height due to overstuffed boot (~300Kg) with 5 adults and 2 kids in the car. Also at the high speed and uneven surface the body would roll which never happens in case of light or medium load. After lot of search and DIY I think I have a good system in place to firm up my suspension under heavy load condition.
The kit is procured from AirLift
Air Lift Company - Products - Air Lift 1000

The installation was straight forward as my rear coil springs have a hole in the center. both the airbags are connected with T that is connected to a air valve in the boot. Based on the load condition one can increase the pressure from 5 PSI to 20 PSI.

At 5 PSI the airbags have no impact of any parameter. While at 20PSI under heavy load and nasty speed breakers I can hear "Woosh" of airbags supporting the spring. Also the car is does not have any roll at higher speeds even under heavy load condition.
Attached are the images of installation along with some other add on like Scanguage, Steering mounted universal remote, carputer etc.
Old 26th August 2016, 13:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumantab20 View Post
Hi Rohit,

I check amazon and there are multiple models of it, example: Airlift 60818 1000 / 60769 / etc. Which one did you exactly buy ?

S B
It's bit tricky. You need to measure the diameter and spring height while parked. Based on that you need to search different models and their specs for right match.

The one I bought was AirLift 1000 .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks