Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 23:37   #1
BHPian

Esteem Stage 2 mods

Dear members,
i have a lightly modded new type 3 mpfi esteem.

Here are the modds: -
1. Automech complete FFE
2. NGK IR plugs
3. Green Cotton Wind filter
4. Tri-phase module
5. Yokohoma 195/50R15 tyres.
6. AutoGuage meter.

My car has clocked 38,800 km and now i am looking for some stage 2 mods like Fuel Pressure Regulator, ECU management system, Porting and Polishing, Enlarged throttle body, new injectors etc.

Gurus please advice me how to go about things so as to get best performance and what will it cost me.

I am more interested in low-end torque as i am not into any kind of drag or street racing but the car should be able to accelerate fast enough to overtake the likes of honda citys / lancers /baleno (all stock offcourse) easily .

i am ready to spend about 15-20k on the mods.

regards
viky
Old 15th February 2010, 23:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

in 20k all you can get done well is porting polishing. but then if you plan on getting forced induction later it will be an issue. i recommend you put in a few thousand more and get a standalone ecu/remap. some options for this are zakie, whos dealer is viper (you probably know him, where else could you have got the tri-phase from) and the other is racedynamics (rdkarthik). the remap should probably give you about a 25-20% gain in power.
Old 15th February 2010, 23:57   #3
BHPian

thanks akshay,
if i spent like 35k, i think should get racedynamics ecu.
i think 25% gain in power is good enough. how much gain will the porting and polishing deliver? i have heard that porting and polishing is very critical job and it has to be done perfectly otherwise we can have some serious engine troubles.

reagrds
viky
Old 16th February 2010, 00:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viky_s View Post
thanks akshay,
if i spent like 35k, i think should get racedynamics ecu.
i think 25% gain in power is good enough. how much gain will the porting and polishing deliver? i have heard that porting and polishing is very critical job and it has to be done perfectly otherwise we can have some serious engine troubles.

reagrds
viky
25% might be a bit more on the hopeful side. yes thats true what you say about porting and polishing. personally, i wouldnt do it. i dont think the rd ecu will cost 35k, i think itll be less, i know zakies remaps are less. i also doubt the porting polishing will give as much of a gain as a well done remap would.
Old 16th February 2010, 01:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

ECU is useless at this point. Go for an aftermarket camshaft with higher-than-stock lift. Almost half of the money for the P&P job is for the labour, head gasket, oil change and other miscellaneous stuff. So get the cam and a P&P job done at the same time. Will save on labour and the above mentioned stuff.
Old 16th February 2010, 09:22   #6
BHPian

Aftermarket camshaft with a higher lift is of no use if you dont get a P&P done and run a higher compression than stock.
If you want to save money and still have a quick car then just get

1. A good calculated header setup with a ffe.
2. Lightened Flywheel
3. Lightened crank pulley
4. Custom ratio gearbox (1000+zen combi or a 1000 itself)
5. RD Ecu.

This should make you really happy and you car will be as reliable it is now and much much peppier. This setup if done well will be good enough to blow your mind.

In the next set of mods you can think of a P&P, decking your head a little to bump up your comp, aftermarket high lift camshaft, itb's.

Cheers
Shrey
Old 16th February 2010, 10:41   #7
BHPian

thanks shrey,
should i get a custom FFE from Viper and replace it with Automech standard FFE setup.
how much will the RD ecu cost.

regards viky
Old 16th February 2010, 11:55   #8
BHPian

Hi Viky,

I cant comment on which one you should get as I havent seen any of them in flesh. If you were in bangalore I could have recommended or taken you to the place where you can get a good job done.

I would personally like to tell you that I do not beleive in having a ffe with a end can as it basically beats the point in having a ffe. You would want a ffe in the first place to scavenge your exhaust gasses and make use of them to give you power! This does not happen best when you have a end can as generally the end cans that you get here are restrictive. So I would recommend a side pipe setup over a end can.

The RD ecu if I am not mistaken will cost you around the 30k mark with tuning/maping. You might want to check with them.

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by viky_s View Post
thanks shrey,
should i get a custom FFE from Viper and replace it with Automech standard FFE setup.
how much will the RD ecu cost.

regards viky
Old 16th February 2010, 15:30   #9
BHPian

i suggest you first get a PP job done , then cams and then an ecu.
Old 16th February 2010, 16:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

i think your planned list of mods might take you to a stage 1.5 :-)
15-20k is too low for all of your options. p&p should be a good start.
(even with these, overtaking stock cars in your list will be bit tight. depends on the driver).
OT ...
i went overboard in my quench to overtake trucks on highways.... LOL...
Old 16th February 2010, 16:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Would recommend a look here, has been pretty well explained.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...-your-car.html

Quote:
i went overboard in my quench to overtake trucks on highways.... LOL...
I really don't know what to say to you.

Last edited by Psycho : 16th February 2010 at 16:51.
Old 16th February 2010, 19:10   #12
BHPian

Thanks a tonn Psycho. The article is very good.
Ok now i am prepard to spend upto 40K for the modds.(My D90's wide angle zoom lens will have to wait....)
So i should go for P&P and the camshaft. I am only interested in low-mid range power so will the camshaft increase performance drastically ie 25%. or else should i go for the RD ecu remap?
awaiting expert advice fellow members.

regards
viky
Old 17th February 2010, 10:07   #13
BHPian

you could either stay street stock and go for the ecm and a PP or you could go pro-stock with the cams.
the choice is yours. its the extent you wanna go to.
a PP job should ideally cost you 12k or more, cams close to 20k and the ecm around 30k.
ideally before you go for cams you should get a PP job done.so yes PP and ECM.if you can increase your budget a little bit more then cams.cams would make a really noticeable difference.

Last edited by wildchild4lyfe : 17th February 2010 at 10:18.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Aftermarket camshaft with a higher lift is of no use if you dont get a P&P done and run a higher compression than stock.
If you want to save money and still have a quick car then just get

1. A good calculated header setup with a ffe.
2. Lightened Flywheel
3. Lightened crank pulley
4. Custom ratio gearbox (1000+zen combi or a 1000 itself)
5. RD Ecu.

This should make you really happy and you car will be as reliable it is now and much much peppier. This setup if done well will be good enough to blow your mind.

In the next set of mods you can think of a P&P, decking your head a little to bump up your comp, aftermarket high lift camshaft, itb's.

Cheers
Shrey
well lightening the flywheel is a real tricky mod. do you know of reliable tuners who can do a spot on job shrey?
Old 17th February 2010, 11:00   #15
BHPian

Yep, I know a lot of people who can do precision balancing jobs! I know off people who do the work for the so called tuners!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
well lightening the flywheel is a real tricky mod. do you know of reliable tuners who can do a spot on job shrey?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks