Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 15:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Supercharger for Santro!

I know people that I am probably having a wrong Question for not so Right Ride. But guys I have been on TBHP for quite sometime now and I have realized one thing. Out here, a Petrohead will either find or would get assisted with finding just about anything for his/her ride!!

I really need to know if a Small Car/Engine like the one on Santro, be Supercharged ?
I am not intending it to do 0-100 in 4secs kinda Stuff for sure !!
But just the way a Peted Diesel engine has better air flow which directly translates into performance, can Santro Xing engine be Supercharged ?

I DON'T WANT TO GO IN FOR A HEADER IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAY OUT!!
Old 26th April 2010, 19:48   #2
BANNED

well in general the japs are best at being mod friendly. Try getting an old OHC and turbo it for mind blowing results.
Old 26th April 2010, 20:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why supercharge only?
Anyway, pick up a second hand zen and go crazy with it.
Old 26th April 2010, 20:30   #4
BHPian

You can use some off the shelf electronic superchargers imported
That will give you some punch

Getting the car to have a real supercharger integrated
you will have lots of work to do

Once supercharged you will have to upgrade the braking too
and the exhaust etc etc (equates to change your car)

I doubt Santros engine bay area will give you scope for any ..
Old 26th April 2010, 20:41   #5
BHPian

Yes you can supercharge it. Why don't you turbo charge it instead? If you do about 4-5 psi, you can be on stock internals.
Old 27th April 2010, 00:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I know people that I am probably having a wrong Question for not so Right Ride. But guys I have been on TBHP for quite sometime now and I have realized one thing. Out here, a Petrohead will either find or would get assisted with finding just about anything for his/her ride!!

I really need to know if a Small Car/Engine like the one on Santro, be Supercharged ?
But just the way a Peted Diesel engine has better air flow which directly translates into performance, can Santro Xing engine be Supercharged ?

I DON'T WANT TO GO IN FOR A HEADER IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAY OUT!!
Hunt for a small super charger first if you can find one, else a turbo setup. Yes super charger is much easier to fit and tune compared to a turbo,it too has it's issues.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate all of your responses guys.
I totally agree with the fact that Koreans don't really build cars for After market mods. :(
As some of you guys posted here, I can rather pick up another car!! Well I will surely pick up another car soon but this Sunshine car is going nowhere buddies. This is my First Car and may be my kids my inherit this!!
I was just looking to make this peppier without actually going in for a header (IF POSSIBLE)!!

@dinar I have been looking for a turbo myself but guess loosing steam.

Any of you bhpians know of any resource at all from where I can get or look for a turbocharger on a Santro??
Old 27th April 2010, 13:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just looking to make this peppier without actually going in for a header (IF POSSIBLE)!!
@dinar I have been looking for a turbo myself but guess loosing steam.

Any of you bhpians know of any resource at all from where I can get or look for a turbocharger on a Santro??
The million $ question is that who will do the job ? Expertize is something that is seldom found here in India and it takes a lot to get a reliable build. Check jitu's (fordrocam) or pyshco's builds featuring the OHC and Esteem builds.

Quote:
I would recommend you go in for the basic mods for a header setup and CAI. If you still arent satisfied invest on a vtec or a baleno and go turbo it. With a 1.1 I doubt if you would be able to squeeze much out of it.

And why is that you wanna stay away from a FFE setup ?

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th April 2010 at 19:45.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This reminds me of a project red Swift that was supposed to be running with a supercharger somewhere in Pune many years ago, if memory serves me right.

I guess if budget is not a constraint, one could even go the Lancia Delta way of supercharging and turbocharging at the same time, hopefully without getting banned by the traffic cops for driving a "group B car that is too fast"
Old 27th April 2010, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

@rjstyles I couldn't agree more with you buddy and I truly believe in everything you have posted up there. Myself being a Perfectionist in everything I do, I probably would end up dissappointed if the workmanship doesn't turn out to be more than satisfactory.
I was just curious to know if there was any possibility at all (even if it meant the smallest turbo) to install a Turbo on a 1.1ltr engine. Since you guys are advicing to go in for a Header and CIA, guess thats where I'll be heading shortly.

@theMAG wouldn't it be the catch of a lifetime for the cop who would pull up a B segment car for hitting speeds beyond the available digits on the speedometer!! hahaha
Old 27th April 2010, 17:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

For a turbo you could go in for a IHI RB3 or RB4 turbo. it won't make a big difference but will give you what your looking for.
Small superchargers are available on some of the Japanese cars. you'll have to stick to 7-8PSI not above that.
Old 27th April 2010, 19:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just curious to know if there was any possibility at all (even if it meant the smallest turbo) to install a Turbo on a 1.1ltr engine. Since you guys are advicing to go in for a Header and CIA, guess thats where I'll be heading shortly.
I dont mean to stop you from going the supercharging or the turbo way, end of the day its your money and car. Albeit come to think of it, what if the build doesn't go your way ? Money wasted , time wasted and above all no peace of mind.

I did put my money on basic performance mods and save up for buying a 1.5/1.6/2.0 ltr mill and go all out on it.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Boy you're so practical rjstyles !!

I humbly accept all your suggestions guys and really appreciate your knowledge in all this. Guess, I would just not try and get ahead of myself with turbo or superchargers after all !! :(

dinar will keep those turbos and sc's you have posted on mind as a Knowledge base buddy.
Old 29th April 2010, 17:41   #14
BHPian

i own a Getz 1.3 and i have always kept thinking about something like this as well. All i want from my car is a better initial(low end and mid range) performance. i never wanted a car which can do ground breaking speeds, however i'm always interested in a car which can reach to 80-100 real quick.

i felt turbo charger is not my cup of tea as its going to add some turbo lag and give me more performance at the higher end of the power band. and i dont wanna do irreversable works like header stuff. i always look for a bolt on stuff and should be easily reversable to stock anytime.

did some research, later realised that neither its possible to do such work nor its cheap one more thing i learnt about super charger is it requires few bhps of the engines power to work and generate more power. in a small engine it might not produce a considerable result
Old 29th April 2010, 19:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
i dont wanna do irreversable works like header stuff. i always look for a bolt on stuff and should be easily reversable to stock anytime.

did some research, later realised that neither its possible to do such work nor its cheap
fuhrer my friend who says a header job is irreversible ? When you get after market headers the stock headers and the end can is removed. You can refit them back just in case you dont like the performance headers.

Mostly only the center pipe is retained from the stock exhaust setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks