Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:58   #1
BHPian

Projector Lamps(Low Beam) as Fog Lamps for Ritz LDI

Hi Team,

I have booked Ritz LDI and still waiting for my car to get delivered. In the meantime I decided to spend some quality time searching for accessories which are excluded in the Base version of Ritz Diesel.
As primarily I would be driving in & around hilly areas which are normally under fog and also unlit in the evening , I decided to scout for Projector Fog Lamps(Low Beam) on top priority.
Few doubts regarding installing Fog Lamps in my car:
1)Should I install MGA fog lamps or source for Projector Fog Lamps? (Willing to spend 4k for a pair)
2)Incase if I source Projector Fog Lamps & fix it , does that void Maruti Warranty ? (I have taken 3rd extended warranty also).
3) Will there be enough protection for the Projector Fog Lamps ,incase if Iam driving in very heavy rains.

Take Care,
Alex.
Old 24th May 2010, 09:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Alex:

Congrats on your new ride.! Now regarding your query.

Since you would be driving in & around foggy conditions, you would require yellow lights. you would have to install HIDs in your projectors for the maximum output. Normal halos wont do the job (I have tried this before for my headlights). So for the yellow HIDs, you will have to go for 3000k (Color temp) HIDs (Not sure whether these are available here. 4300k bulbs are available).

I see you are from Cochin and as the roads here are pretty bad, there are chances of the fog lamps getting affected (Bad roads and the occasional dogs and cats running around the road).

2. Warranty wont be affected. Installation should be proper means the wires should not be tampered. Fix the ballast, connect it to the projector setup and battery.

3. It all depends on the projector. There are many good projector setups available in the market now which are water proof. Make sure that the wiring is properly sealed. (Fog lamps will easily get affected during rains since it gets the full impact during monsoons). Please keep this in mind.
Old 24th May 2010, 09:54   #3
BANNED

I also hear that dual element HID lamps (halogen for high beam & HID for low beam) exits. i do not know whether these are available in India.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

You got to buy projectors meant to be used for Fogs - don't retrofit the headlight projectors, as they wont be water tight (fog projectors are sealed units). Like @naveen.raju said, you need to go with 3000k projectors if you want it to be fog lamps (yellow). If you want it for aesthetics (like most OEM white reflector fog lamps), you have to match it with your headlight.
Old 31st May 2010, 22:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Alex:

Congrats on your new ride.! Now regarding your query.

Since you would be driving in & around foggy conditions, you would require yellow lights. you would have to install HIDs in your projectors for the maximum output. Normal halos wont do the job (I have tried this before for my headlights). So for the yellow HIDs, you will have to go for 3000k (Color temp) HIDs (Not sure whether these are available here. 4300k bulbs are available).
Heard a lot about LED fog Lamps . Are they practical? or just for style

Quote:
I see you are from Cochin and as the roads here are pretty bad, there are chances of the fog lamps getting affected (Bad roads and the occasional dogs and cats running around the road).
True but Cochin is known for water logged streets specially among locals.Thats why I have a concern based on the protection of Lamp setups from heavy rains. Will check up the sealing/water proofing of projectors while buying them

Quote:
2. Warranty wont be affected. Installation should be proper means the wires should not be tampered. Fix the ballast, connect it to the projector setup and battery.
Yep have to be careful with installation part.

Quote:
3. It all depends on the projector. There are many good projector setups available in the market now which are water proof. Make sure that the wiring is properly sealed. (Fog lamps will easily get affected during rains since it gets the full impact during monsoons). Please keep this in mind.
Thanks for your valuable inputs. Will definitely make note of your points that u have highlighted.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think i saw some Hella has some auxiliary projector type lamps Micro DE, but not sure if these can be fixed in the OEM space of the bumper.
Old 1st June 2010, 02:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Heard a lot about LED fog Lamps . Are they practical? or just for style
If they are based on normal L.E.D. they'll more be for style
But if one makes a expensive ones using proper heat-sink and high power L.E.D. they can be of utility but I've not seen anybody done that to Fogs yet.
Old 1st June 2010, 11:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Alex:

I dont think LED fog lights will provide good output. For optimized output, you should go for HID's (lower than 4300k, prefer 3000k).

Projectors for fogs needs special care and fitment. I dont generally recommend this.

Also, please do not use projectors from headlights onto your fogs. These projectors are suited for headlights and installing them onto your fogs will compromise the fitment. These wont be waterproof. So go in for the projectors for fogs only. There might be shops who will take the full advantage. They might try fix this onto your fog, since many will have limited knowledge on projectors. Projectors for fogs are rarely used, especially in cochin. So please be careful buddy..
Old 3rd October 2010, 23:17   #9
BANNED

Projector fog lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
Hi Team,

I have booked Ritz LDI and still waiting for my car to get delivered. In the meantime I decided to spend some quality time searching for accessories which are excluded in the Base version of Ritz Diesel.
As primarily I would be driving in & around hilly areas which are normally under fog and also unlit in the evening , I decided to scout for Projector Fog Lamps(Low Beam) on top priority.
Few doubts regarding installing Fog Lamps in my car:
1)Should I install MGA fog lamps or source for Projector Fog Lamps? (Willing to spend 4k for a pair)
2)Incase if I source Projector Fog Lamps & fix it , does that void Maruti Warranty ? (I have taken 3rd extended warranty also).
3) Will there be enough protection for the Projector Fog Lamps ,incase if Iam driving in very heavy rains.

Take Care,
Alex.
Dear Alex,

If you are looking for projector lense fog lamps, then i recommend you check for hella micro DE fog lamps. Available in complete kit form for Rs.5505.00 kit. this will be a right choice for your requirement.

Happy motoring.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:00   #10
BHPian

Re: Projector Lamps(Low Beam) as Fog Lamps for Ritz LDI

Today as i was just looking around eBay, i found these LED lights , the seller states these can be used on cars , for custom fog lights.

2 Under Water LED White Lights 3W High Power Proof | eBay.
Source:eBay.com.sg

The devil in my mind started thinking and i am planning to get these and install in the fog light cavity of my Ritz, would this be feasible ? Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:09   #11
BHPian

Had a similar query for my Ritz.I find the stock headlamps not at all sufficient at night when I cross 60+ KMPH speeds. I feel I need to upgrade to better lamps. Please suggest T-Bhpains if this can be done without getting my warranty void. Also, what spec headlamp should I upgrade to?
Old 4th April 2012, 09:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Had a similar query for my Ritz.I find the stock headlamps not at all sufficient at night when I cross 60+ KMPH speeds. I feel I need to upgrade to better lamps. Please suggest T-Bhpains if this can be done without getting my warranty void. Also, what spec headlamp should I upgrade to?
I think you will get more info in this particular thread Auto Lighting Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 09:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
@ Alex:

I dont think LED fog lights will provide good output. For optimized output, you should go for HID's (lower than 4300k, prefer 3000k).

Projectors for fogs needs special care and fitment. I dont generally recommend this.

Also, please do not use projectors from headlights onto your fogs. These projectors are suited for headlights and installing them onto your fogs will compromise the fitment. These wont be waterproof. So go in for the projectors for fogs only. There might be shops who will take the full advantage. They might try fix this onto your fog, since many will have limited knowledge on projectors. Projectors for fogs are rarely used, especially in cochin. So please be careful buddy..
@naveen
If projectors are not recommended for fogs, what other options do we have to upgrade OEM fog lamps in ritz/swift. Does hid in stock fog lamps make sense?
Old 4th April 2012, 09:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I think you will get more info in this particular thread Auto Lighting Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

As rightly pointed out by motomaverick,you'll get all details in the said section.Still,i'll answer your query here as i had the headlamps changed on my Ritz.I used Hella relay setup alongwith 100/90W bulbs.Total cost of installation was Rs.1800/-(incl relay kit and 2 bulbs) and time taken was about half an hour.Those bulbs have been a boon to me especially on unlit roads.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
@naveen
If projectors are not recommended for fogs, what other options do we have to upgrade OEM fog lamps in ritz/swift. Does hid in stock fog lamps make sense?
There are many cars using HID's in fogs. It wont serve the purpose. It's basically for the 'bling' factor. Its better to upgrade the headlights since fogs have certain limitations.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks