Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 02:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Turbo for Ritz Vxi

hey, i needed suggestions on putting a turbo on my Ritz Vxi, would it be advisable or not ? if yes, where can i get it done and how much will it cost me ?
Old 21st June 2010, 02:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Would suggest you to go through this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ift-turbo.html
Old 21st June 2010, 14:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

I did go through it, but without disclosing name's another tuner told me turbo is not possible on the Ritz Vxi for some reason unknown, KS has surely done a great job with the turbo on that swift, though i would like to know correctly, the procedure, the time taken, and the money required for this kind of a job by different tuner's too...
Old 21st June 2010, 15:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I did go through it, but without disclosing name's another tuner told me turbo is not possible on the Ritz Vxi for some reason unknown, KS has surely done a great job with the turbo on that swift, though i would like to know correctly, the procedure, the time taken, and the money required for this kind of a job by different tuner's too...

putting a turbo is possible in any car provided you have the space under the hood, a RITZ or for that any small engined car can be turboed without much problem, there is a thread in the tbhp advise section, you might wanna read that.

Pramod
Old 21st June 2010, 15:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
There is more to that than just an outright no. It would be better to ask the tuner why it's impossible. Space constraints are understandable. Same with unavailability of specific replacement parts like better pistons, rods, oil pump, etc when the stock ones are very weak. Beyond that, there is little stopping anyone from putting a turbocharger in your car.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
There is more to that than just an outright no. It would be better to ask the tuner why it's impossible. Space constraints are understandable. Same with unavailability of specific replacement parts like better pistons, rods, oil pump, etc when the stock ones are very weak. Beyond that, there is little stopping anyone from putting a turbocharger in your car.

+1 the tuner can go up to 6-7 PSI with stock internals, but question is do we need to reduce the compression for this much pressure?

Pramod
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:32   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

S2, take my word for it and avoid going the after-market turbo way. Firstly, the Ritz will never be a performance hatchback. Its designed for practicality, and the design only echoes that purpose. Secondly, the Indian tuning scene still isn't at that level where it can provide consistently reliable + high quality complex modifications (such as, adding a turbo onto an everyday hatchback).

My suggestion : Enjoy the Ritz for what it is. If you want a quick car, buy a used RS / OHC Vtec / Mondeo for the same money. Either of these will be immensely satisfying to drive.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
S2, take my word for it and avoid going the after-market turbo way. Firstly, the Ritz will never be a performance hatchback. Its designed for practicality, and the design only echoes that purpose. Secondly, the Indian tuning scene still isn't at that level where it can provide consistently reliable + high quality complex modifications (such as, adding a turbo onto an everyday hatchback).

My suggestion : Enjoy the Ritz for what it is. If you want a quick car, buy a used RS / OHC Vtec / Mondeo for the same money. Either of these will be immensely satisfying to drive.

I agree with you that the tuning scene might be very immature here, but I would disagree with your suggestion of a no nonsense machine.

There are enthusiasts in US who "tune" their own cars in their own garages. These people have the knowledge and the support which I am sure was created out of demand for having a fast car which will also double as a daily drive car. The knowledge is improving due to internet and the aftermarket support is also improving, soon reliability will when the tuners will have enough experience.
The RS may be the most respected machine in the stock form here in India, but the kind of failure rates coupled with the lousy A S S makes it the biggest looser of the lot. The OHC Vtec is almost obsolete now; people no longer want a car which was a great highway car but struggles in bumper to bumper traffic. Though still a great seller in the used car market but I seriously feel it is one car which is highly overrated here. I am not sure why you suggested a mondeo, which is
1. A gas guzzler
2. Almost No after sales support
3. Huge
4. A bad handler.
All three cars suggested by you are more unreliable when compared to a Ritz, Ritz may not be the perfect car for turbo charging but it can be turbocharged and can be far reliable than the other three due to good spare availability and is any day more practical than the other three.
With the pockets becoming deeper and more and more people learning how to break the old school rules of tuning, India will soon become matured enough in the tuning scene.

Just my 2 cents.
Pramod
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your replies guy's, really appreciate that, the only reason i wanted to out a turbo on the Ritz is because, i wanted to enjoy the ride not race with it, 2ndly, i already have a Pipercross filter in it and trust me the pickup, the response, on the 1st 2nd and 3rd gear are great, anyone with a Ritz would seriously want to put a Pipercross on that...
I know it give's out the Kseries engine which is new to the market but everything has its pro's and con's at the end of the day, turbo charging this small car would be a little difficult yet manageable but the after response would be lovely... this is just what i feel... :-)
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:28   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
There are enthusiasts in US who "tune" their own cars in their own garages. These people have the knowledge and the support which I am sure was created out of demand for having a fast car which will also double as a daily drive car. The knowledge is improving due to internet and the aftermarket support is also improving, soon reliability will when the tuners will have enough experience.
While I look forward to that day, most tuners in India cannot manage factory-grade quality + reliability today. There are a few amazing jobs, but they are more the exception rather than the rule. Most of us who are working 5 - 6 days a week do not have the luxury of time, time spent on solving problems and removing bugs. This is one of the main reasons why not a single car of mine, till date, has had an after-market turbo. I'm ready to pay a premium price for quality & reliability, but its not available in Bombay. Period.

Quote:
The RS may be the most respected machine in the stock form here in India, but the kind of failure rates coupled with the lousy A S S makes it the biggest looser of the lot.
A stock RS will be way more reliable than any after-market turbo-job in India. Plus, who goes to the authorised workshop for a 5 year old car anyways? Find a good independent.

Quote:
The OHC Vtec is almost obsolete now; people no longer want a car which was a great highway car but struggles in bumper to bumper traffic.
You have your facts wrong. The Vtec is actually great in the city (including bumper to bumper traffic), but terrible on the highway.

Quote:
I am not sure why you suggested a mondeo, which is
1. A gas guzzler
2. Almost No after sales support
3. Huge
4. A bad handler.
1. The Mondeo's FE is as good / as bad as any other car from its segment (the Sonata, Accord & Camry). Expect 7 kpl in an urban driving style.
2. Agreed. But again, when you buy a 5+ year old car, you visit the after-market, not authorised workshops. Atleast, that's the case with most of us.
3. I like my cars big. Size is relative.
4. I presume you've never driven the Mondeo. This car is amongst the best handling D segment sedans to have been sold in India.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I look forward to that day, most tuners in India cannot manage factory-grade quality + reliability today. There are a few amazing jobs, but they are more the exception rather than the rule. Most of us who are working 5 - 6 days a week do not have the luxury of time, time spent on solving problems and removing bugs. This is one of the main reasons why not a single car of mine, till date, has had an after-market turbo. I'm ready to pay a premium price for quality & reliability, but its not available in Bombay. Period.
No tuner in the world can give you factory-grade reliability. They are still working with the same blocks and heads made for X horsepower, but exerting anywhere from 15% to 300% more stress on the components. That is an impossible task; unless you are comparing it to Skoda-factory-grade reliability
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:10   #12
BHPian

If you already have the filter; why not look at a complete FFE setup? I have a Green filter and am planning to do the same in my Sx4. Not that I dont want the turbo, but its just waaay too expensive and also what GTO said - factory grade quality + reliability is more of an exception than a rule - is another reason. Plonking a turbo into the car and knowing there could the slight possibility of something going wrong with it is for me at least,too large a risk to take.
Think the filter and the FFE would do alot to the pickup. The filter in my Sx4 has pretty much changed the way it drove completely!
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

The Ritz is a small little family hatch that isn't really cut out for a Turbo. Installing a turbo in your car will reduce the reliability of your car by a long way. There are several complications involved in the process of installing a turbo. It's not as simple as it may seem. Your car may give you more performance, but you'll need to visit your tuner more often than not. Besides that, the existing components and oily bits in the 1.2 may not be competent to handle the extra power and for that, you'll have to undertake huge alterations.

Think about it before even considering the option. Not all turbo installs are successful. If you're extremely passionate about performance, don't give a hoot to reliability, have deep pockets and no qualms about making them lighter, then go ahead. But my suggestion is to avoid turbocharging and go install something that won't affect the reliability as such.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

if you really wanted a turbo hatch, it was better buying a proven sample. there was one turbo swift for sale in Blore which was running pretty reliable.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

I dont have any intention in driving my point deeper but..

Quote:
While I look forward to that day, most tuners in India cannot manage factory-grade quality + reliability today. There are a few amazing jobs, but they are more the exception rather than the rule. Most of us who are working 5 - 6 days a week do not have the luxury of time, time spent on solving problems and removing bugs. This is one of the main reasons why not a single car of mine, till date, has had an after-market turbo. I'm ready to pay a premium price for quality & reliability, but its not available in Bombay. Period. .
Pranavt has replied it very well so i would say i agree with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
No tuner in the world can give you factory-grade reliability. They are still working with the same blocks and heads made for X horsepower, but exerting anywhere from 15% to 300% more stress on the components. That is an impossible task; unless you are comparing it to Skoda-factory-grade reliability

Quote:
A stock RS will be way more reliable than any after-market turbo-job in India. Plus, who goes to the authorised workshop for a 5 year old car anyways? Find a good independent. .
True, isint that a task in itself. How many of us get to the right person at the first time?

Quote:
You have your facts wrong. The Vtec is actually great in the city (including bumper to bumper traffic), but terrible on the highway. .

Quote:
Problems - Jerks at low RPM
Does this make it a great city car in bumper to bumper traffic? i agree this was rectified to an extent post 2001 but still.

There is a whole thread running on it.

Quote:
1. The Mondeo's FE is as good / as bad as any other car from its segment (the Sonata, Accord & Camry). Expect 7 kpl in an urban driving style..
You are suggesting a car with 7-8 FE to a guy who is planning to get a turbo on a ritz which gives more than 15/liter

Quote:
2. Agreed. But again, when you buy a 5+ year old car, you visit the after-market, not authorised workshops. Atleast, that's the case with most of us. ..
Only the lucky get to the right person, who gives a fix without further mess up.

Quote:
3. I like my cars big. Size is relative.
4. I presume you've never driven the Mondeo. This car is amongst the best handling D segment sedans to have been sold in India.
3. Me too

4. Never, but i have some reliable feedbacks from people, isint mondeo the came car which has a high rear suspension failure due to poor engneering?

Pramod

PS: Nothing personal, and sorry for the OT post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks