Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 14:08   #76
BANNED

@ deeps - The AC shuts down for two three seconds after a "tick" relay kind noise sound from the dashboard. then the tick noise happens again and it starts back up. does coolant run through your kit's reducer?

@bhp_maniac - The petrol gas switching is butter smooth indeed. It's an automatic switch over when the switch is at the CNG position - on a cold engine it switches over to CNG in about 60 seconds. on a warm engine in about 10 seconds. When the CNG pressure in the tank is less than 2-3 bar (i think) it automatically comes back to petrol and there is "beep-beep" sound until you manually switchover to petrol.

And, No misfire/backfire
Old 9th July 2010, 14:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

I believe the cooling system was not touched in any way during the installation. Does "coolant running through the reducer" mean the coolant is re-routed to cool the reducer also? Is that the case in your installation? I have never had any abnormal overheating running on CNG. temp needle goes upto halway on outstation trips also when running on Petrol.

Thats a cool switchover system you got with the kit. How much did you pay for the SI kit? and how much has your car run on it. I paid 46,500 for the complete package except for RC endorsement and my car has done 67K km on the kit so far....and yes there were many troubles with the kit in the initial 6 months due to faulty wiring by the TATA approved installer.
Old 9th July 2010, 22:49   #78
BHPian

does anybody here has a kit in which gas is filled through MGV ??
Old 12th July 2010, 09:34   #79
lsp
BHPian

I have a query. Sometimes one comes across cars which have CNG but its not endorsed on the RC.

How easy/difficult it is to get the CNG endorsed on the RC, at a later point of time?

Someone told me that each CNG kit comes with a number which is used for endorsing it on the RC and this can be done only when the Kit is installed. As in within those first few days and not at a later point of time. Why I am asking this is that while looking for a used car I came across a couple of cars whose CNG was not endorsed.

Does it make sense to buy such a car and then get the CNG endorsed yourself?

Car in question is a 2007 Santro.

Last edited by lsp : 12th July 2010 at 09:37.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:21   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
I have a query. Sometimes one comes across cars which have CNG but its not endorsed on the RC.

How easy/difficult it is to get the CNG endorsed on the RC, at a later point of time?

Someone told me that each CNG kit comes with a number which is used for endorsing it on the RC and this can be done only when the Kit is installed. As in within those first few days and not at a later point of time. Why I am asking this is that while looking for a used car I came across a couple of cars whose CNG was not endorsed.

What you heard is correct. All CNG/LPG kits comes with a unique number which identifies the kit and tank number. It will be endorsed in the RC. Regarding the time limit for endorsing, I am not sure. But all the documents from the installer including their licence number, kit details etc. are required for endorsing. This was the situation when I endorsed my LPG Xeta, 3 years back. Not sure whether things are same now.
Old 12th July 2010, 13:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In one word - NO!!

Endorsing of the kit requires a whole bunch of documents. This includes:

Bill of kit and installation (mentioning date of installation)
ARAI approval of kit and Installer
Technical diagrams etc. of the kit
Cylinder number (I don't think there is such a thing as kit number)
Car insurance papers
Car R/C
PUC

These are all the things I can remember from the top of my head. All these documents are handed over to you by the installer at the time of installation. If an owner has not endorsed the kit since 2007, then chances are he has probably lost or misplaced the documents also. It'll be too much of a hassle for you to buy the car and then run around collecting the documents. In addition, the RTO inspector may object to the fact that the kit is installed in 2007 and is being endorsed only now.

My suggestion would be to stay away from a car that does not have CNG endorsed. Clean papers in a used car purchase provide invaluable peace of mind and believe me dealing with CNG installers and RTO is a lot of wasted time and effort.
Old 12th July 2010, 13:23   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
What you heard is correct. All CNG/LPG kits comes with a unique number which identifies the kit and tank number. It will be endorsed in the RC.
I believe the kit number/cylinder number is not mentioned on the R/C. Mine just says "Petrol - CNG" in the "fuel" category.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:43   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
I believe the kit number/cylinder number is not mentioned on the R/C. Mine just says "Petrol - CNG" in the "fuel" category.
Oh ok, may be thins are different in your place. In my case, the kit number and tank number where printed and pasted on one page of the RC and a seal of RTO on top of that (my old car got a book type RC and not the card).
Old 12th July 2010, 18:27   #84
lsp
BHPian

@bhp_maniac, Deeps
Thankyou for your replies!

I understand from a senior T-BHPian that
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
CNG cannot be endorsed to RC if the Invoice of CNG fitment is more then 15 days older
Link:- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post1978593

Looking at the responses I think a car with non-endorsed CNG kit is best avoided. Why get into the hassle of running around in the RTO or running the car on an illegal CNG kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
What you heard is correct. All CNG/LPG kits comes with a unique number which identifies the kit and tank number. It will be endorsed in the RC. Regarding the time limit for endorsing, I am not sure. But all the documents from the installer including their licence number, kit details etc. are required for endorsing. This was the situation when I endorsed my LPG Xeta, 3 years back. Not sure whether things are same now.
Quote:
In one word - NO!!

Endorsing of the kit requires a whole bunch of documents. This includes:

Bill of kit and installation (mentioning date of installation)
ARAI approval of kit and Installer
Technical diagrams etc. of the kit
Cylinder number (I don't think there is such a thing as kit number)
Car insurance papers
Car R/C
PUC

These are all the things I can remember from the top of my head. All these documents are handed over to you by the installer at the time of installation. If an owner has not endorsed the kit since 2007, then chances are he has probably lost or misplaced the documents also. It'll be too much of a hassle for you to buy the car and then run around collecting the documents. In addition, the RTO inspector may object to the fact that the kit is installed in 2007 and is being endorsed only now.

My suggestion would be to stay away from a car that does not have CNG endorsed. Clean papers in a used car purchase provide invaluable peace of mind and believe me dealing with CNG installers and RTO is a lot of wasted time and effort.
Old 12th July 2010, 18:37   #85
Senior - BHPian

Another point about the Santro that I just thought of. It is very much posssible that the reason for non-endorsement on the RC could be that the CNG kit itself is not approved.

Like Aashish said on the other thread, your best bet is to pick up a petrol car and fit the CNG kit yourself later after conducting your own research.

Have patience and you'll be rewarded. Good luck.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:04   #86
lsp
BHPian

Thanks Deep!

We are diverging from the topic of the thread but what u think is very much possible. As you would have read on the other thread, it was clearly a souped up car, done by a dealer (imagine gold rimmed number plates that were whiter than white :P). He must've procured the CNG kit recently to make the car more lucrative to prospective buyers. The installation seemed recent.

Quote:
Another point about the Santro that I just thought of. It is very much possible that the reason for non-endorsement on the RC could be that the CNG kit itself is not approved.

Like Aashish said on the other thread, your best bet is to pick up a petrol car and fit the CNG kit yourself later after conducting your own research.

Have patience and you'll be rewarded. Good luck.
Old 13th July 2010, 00:46   #87
BHPian

Quote:

As many have pointed it out already, I'd suggest that you avoid such a car under all circumstances.

Infact one should never buy car which has a CNG or LPG kit pre-installed because in almost 90-95% of the cases the cars are pretty badly abused and have more than 1lac kms on the odo in reality. It could have been used as a taxi also.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

@manglev

Hi buddy, I called up and spoke to your CNG installer Mr. Sunil Dutt on Saturday and gave your / your threads reference. The reason I called him up was that I experiencing some issues with my CNG installation and asked Mr.Sunil Dutt whether I could get my vehicle to him and he could check and replace anything which was faulty. He told me that he wouldn't be in a position to help me as he already has alot of work on his hands and doesn't get enough time even servicing his customers, which I totally understand. However I really admire him taking the time out to speak to me understand the problem that I was facing and also suggested some remedies so that the issue could be resolved. He appears to be a really nice guy and whenever I am in the vicinity of Kotla I would surely visit his shop, just to say thanks.
Cheers
Old 19th July 2010, 23:25   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@manglev

Hi buddy, I called up and spoke to your CNG installer Mr. Sunil Dutt on Saturday and gave your / your threads reference. The reason I called him up was that I experiencing some issues with my CNG installation and asked Mr.Sunil Dutt whether I could get my vehicle to him and he could check and replace anything which was faulty. He told me that he wouldn't be in a position to help me as he already has alot of work on his hands and doesn't get enough time even servicing his customers, which I totally understand. However I really admire him taking the time out to speak to me understand the problem that I was facing and also suggested some remedies so that the issue could be resolved. He appears to be a really nice guy and whenever I am in the vicinity of Kotla I would surely visit his shop, just to say thanks.
Cheers

No need to say thanks sir, I only did what any true BHPian would have done.
I am glad that my thread was useful for you.
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:03   #90
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz Petrol to CNG conversion

hi maglev
since you have been using CNG vehicles. i had a query,wanted to PM you but couldnt do it don't know how to?
1) I am considering to upgrade my Indica DLG turbo to a pre worshipped SX4 due to budget constrains.
2) My mileage is a bit higher at more than 20k a year and thus would like to convert it to CNG. CNG availability not at a problem on my routes
3) Is a SI kit required for SX4 or the normal kit (closed loop) suffice, don't want to be taken for a ride by the fitters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks