Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 18:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I hope you knew about Accord's handling when you bought one. A car's handling cannot be changed by replacing just one or two parts. Sure, a set of good dampers and springs improve handing to some extent but you end up loosing your sleep in the process. My suggestion would be to accept the fact that the Accord is a boat and learn how to use it effectively. After all the Accrod is never intended for fast cornering, they are meant for cruising on open, straight and wide roads.

If you still want loose your sleep, I agree with others here and strongly advise you to replace both dampers and springs and use uprated ARBs and links. How about Koni FSD's? But I heard they wear out faster on heavier cars.

Sorry if I sound like a pessimist but I am speaking out of personal experiences.
BTW, I meant lose not loose. Apologies for the typo error.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:38   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I hope you knew about Accord's handling when you bought one. A car's handling cannot be changed by replacing just one or two parts. Sure, a set of good dampers and springs improve handing to some extent but you end up loosing your sleep in the process. My suggestion would be to accept the fact that the Accord is a boat and learn how to use it effectively. After all the Accrod is never intended for fast cornering, they are meant for cruising on open, straight and wide roads.

If you still want loose your sleep, I agree with others here and strongly advise you to replace both dampers and springs and use uprated ARBs and links. How about Koni FSD's? But I heard they wear out faster on heavier cars.

Sorry if I sound like a pessimist but I am speaking out of personal experiences.
Haha i knew what the handling was like, and i mainly bought the car for the acceleration and the monster of a V6 under the hood.

Whats the harm in trying to improve what i already have?

Im pretty sure by getting coilovers the handling will improve to a fair extent, and i dont expect it to handle like a BMW.

I mean heck, if we accepted our cars for what they were we would not have a modifications section.
Old 9th July 2010, 07:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Getting the suspension tuned is also important. Just slapping on the bits will not get you the best out of your suspension. The dampers and geometry have to be tuned.
Old 9th July 2010, 07:28   #19
BHPian

Bilstein B6 stock replacment dampers will be all that u will need. dont go for any expensive coilover kits. I have the B6 on my 2007 superb which was a boat itself but now drives much better and feels like an octi. the trade off is ofcourse a slighly stiffer low speed ride , at high speed it is fantastic. they dont lower the car either. U can check out with petes (www.petes.in) for stock. he may also have tarox rotors for accord.
Old 12th July 2010, 09:15   #20
BHPian

Akshay, the Accord is a car that has been designed to provide ride comfort.So I am pretty sure a lot, and I mean LOT, of research must have gone into the chassis and suspension from the manufacturer.I'm no expert but I'd rather not experiment with anything related to the suspension on such an expensive car.For all you know, you might jus end up ruining the beautiful ride quality without any SIGNIFICANT gains in the cars cornering ability/agility.In any case, such gains can only be enjoyed to the fullest on tarmac that has a lot of twisties.You're not a trackday junkie so where exactly do you expect to extract that gain in Mumbai?Surely, even if if you do manage to get the sort of handling that you want it jus won't show significantly on the odd late night drives.A pure waste of money IMHO.

As far as the brake set up goes, do not go in for performance brake pads as they require to heat up properly before performing.So the bite's gona be pretty bad when they're cold.Go in for a set thats suitable for street use.From all the research that I've done on the net, I know that EBC is pure waste of money.Brembo is very good but pricey.You might as well try brake pads by FERODO.They have a DS(DS2500 i guuess) line that has very good reviews on various forums.You should be able to find a set for your ride.
Old 24th July 2010, 12:56   #21

Go for Hawk HPS its perfect .Do you really want D2 ? Check KW or Koni.
Old 26th September 2010, 20:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Now that my ICE has been ordered I am going to start doing up the suspension in a couple of months. Ive decided against what I posted in the first post. And there are some new options now -

Option 1 -
Koni Yellow Sport shocks (adjustable)
Koni Sport Shock
H&R OE spring set (0.5 inch lowering)
H&R OE Sport Spring Set

I would have considered Eibach sport kit springs but I read M4UGR8s review and on his civic he found those springs too stiff. And if those were stiff on Delhi roads on Bombay roads they will be hell.

The only problem with this set-up is that it wont give me as much adjustability as coilovers. I wont be able to lower or raise the car if I want to.

These will work out to about $800 odd.

Option 2 -
D2 RS coilovers
D2 Racing RS Coilover System - D2-H19 - ClubIntegra.com Store - Performance Integra Parts

These are 36 way adjustable for damping, firmness and height. They seem ideal and are at a relatively good price of $900 odd for coilovers.

BUTTTTT after reading some reviews from the US some people are of the opinion that D2 quality and performance is not as good as some other coilovers like Tein. Any comments on this?

The good thing is I can adjust height, damping and firmness. So if there is a trackday or something anytime I can improve the set up for that.

Option 3 -
Tein SS coilovers
TEIN USA | PRODUCTS | SUPER STREET with pillowball upper mont

Frankly from the specs they seem the same as D2. With the option of adding Tein EDFC later. But they are $1400.

The Question -
Dont coilovers make more sense than springs and shocks? I need a no-nonsense product that will last 3 years easily and is of good quality. Of course I dont want to waste money, so is D2 bad quality stuff? Or is Tein that much better?

Confusion confusion...
Old 21st March 2011, 22:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accord V6 - The Quest for Better Handling

Akshay, did you complete your suspension upgrade? What is the setup you chose, from where and how much did it cost?
Old 22nd March 2011, 00:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Akshay, did you complete your suspension upgrade? What is the setup you chose, from where and how much did it cost?
Nope, have been doing a little research. Hopefully it will happen soon.

Planning either D2 or Tein Basic, still need to decide. D2 available from the US for $890.

Also need to get the brakes done. Probably Brembo Blank rotors, and Akebono or Hawk pads. Theres no chance in hell im buying the brakes stuff from here, people are charging like 30k for what I would get in the US for like 18k.
Old 22nd March 2011, 00:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

That's the same dilemma for me. Was looking for Tein Super Street coilovers and apparently it costs about 90k here. Looking to see if I can source them from US, where it should be available for about $1300.
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:10   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's the same dilemma for me. Was looking for Tein Super Street coilovers and apparently it costs about 90k here. Looking to see if I can source them from US, where it should be available for about $1300.
For your Civic?

Frankly what ive heard is that D2 isn't half bad. So im going to try and get a ride in an Accord with D2s and then probably pick them up if they are good.

Though if Tein is supposed to be manufactured better and will last longer I think they too might be fine for me since I have no plans of lowering the car or anything. The 32 way adjustable D2 shocks might just make it that much more difficult for me to caliberate
Old 22nd March 2011, 02:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Tein Super Street coilovers available in India through Red Rooster Racing are specially tuned and designed by Tein engineers keeping Indian road conditions in mind, The spec available here is different to what you may get in US etc. Just today I removed my Koni's on my civic and replaced them with Tein Super Street coilovers and honestly these are the best suspension I have driven so far, having coilovers in my city also, these Teins are super comfortable, they are not even 10% close in terms of comfort level when compared to the Konis, I regret spending on Konis now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
For your Civic?

Frankly what ive heard is that D2 isn't half bad. So im going to try and get a ride in an Accord with D2s and then probably pick them up if they are good.

Though if Tein is supposed to be manufactured better and will last longer I think they too might be fine for me since I have no plans of lowering the car or anything. The 32 way adjustable D2 shocks might just make it that much more difficult for me to caliberate
Like posted above, replaced Koni's with Tein Super Street coilovers and this suspension is awesome. The ride quality is simply great, I would suggest these anyday. I have driven/experienced three cars(Civic/Swift/City Type IV) on Teins and they are something extra ordinary for sure.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post

Like posted above, replaced Koni's with Tein Super Street coilovers and this suspension is awesome. The ride quality is simply great, I would suggest these anyday. I have driven/experienced three cars(Civic/Swift/City Type IV) on Teins and they are something extra ordinary for sure.
So do you think the Tein Basic will be fine for me? Considering I dont really want to adjust much, maybe lower it 10mm or so? Will the ride still be as good? That is one big concern, I do want sharp handling, but I cant sacrifice much of the good ride.

Most Viewed