Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 02:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Civic headlamp improvement

I am planning to switch the bulbs to bright halogens. Can someone tell me how to do DIY installation of these bulbs. Can I access the bulbs with household tools or do I need to visit a mechanic. Thanks.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:10   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
@pamiboy- I've have a 07 civic and had absolutely no issues getting HID's fit into the Low beam as well as the fog lights. AFAIK there is sufficent place. Pics attached for your reference.
Aren’t HID/Xenon bulbs meant to be installed inside projectors and not the regular reflectors?

Sorry for quoting an old post!
Old 31st October 2014, 09:32   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Aren’t HID/Xenon bulbs meant to be installed inside projectors and not the regular reflectors?
This is preferred since the hot spot is different between Xenons and Halogens. Halogens have the filament transverse to the bulb while the discharge on the Xenon is along the bulb. The Altis has HIDs in higher models, but then the lamp housing and reflector designs differ.
Old 31st October 2014, 12:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Sorry for quoting an old post!

Gannu, had addressed this in another thread earlier. Here it is - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3508313
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 20:17   #35
BHPian

Please don't get me wrong guys. I'm not trying to install HID bulbs in stock housing. I simply want to use brighter halogen bulbs which should just be a bulb replacement. I want some some information on how to access the high beam and low beam bulbs for replacement. Thanks.
Old 1st November 2014, 10:54   #36
BHPian

Civic headlamp improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Please don't get me wrong guys. I'm not trying to install HID bulbs in stock housing. I simply want to use brighter halogen bulbs which should just be a bulb replacement. I want some some information on how to access the high beam and low beam bulbs for replacement. Thanks.

Dont worry mate. That message in response to Gannu's query is just for awareness sake so that no matter what is being installed, people know where the problem lies and what needs to be taken care of, with regard to road safety. As long as your
HLs are properly aligned
Bulbs are suitable (HID and/or Filament bulbs) for your reflector design (without causing scatter of light in wrong direction to dazzle other motorists)
And not driving in high beams like most people on our roads do...
it's all good, no matter what upgrades you do. Once again, it's a general message for safety awareness. That's all. Good luck with your upgrade.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 1st November 2014 at 11:22.
Old 19th February 2015, 22:06   #37
BHPian

Guys, I am done with half hearted attempts to improve lights. I want to do a full projector retrofit with HID lights as I believe this is the only proper way of improving the lighting safely. I want to know about any shops in Cochin which would do it for me. I can arrange the morimoto projectors and all the required parts but I simply don't have the time and mechanical inclination to do it. If you guys can suggest any place where they do high quality work in Cochin I would be grateful. Thanks a lot.
Old 20th February 2015, 11:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am done with half hearted attempts to improve lights. I want to do a full projector retrofit with HID lights as I believe this is the only proper way of improving the lighting safely. I want to know about any shops in Cochin which would do it for me. I can arrange the morimoto projectors and all the required parts but I simply don't have the time and mechanical inclination to do it. If you guys can suggest any place where they do high quality work in Cochin I would be grateful. Thanks a lot.
Projectors will improve the lights output to great extent. But make sure it's done from a reputed installer, else it will be a big failure if not done properly, like if not sealed properly dust might settle in also moisture issue will crop up. Also the alignment has to be proper.
I got it done from Joice Willi, who happens to be in Cochin, but I'm not sure as whether he's still into this hobby/Business. (I'll share his details in mail).
He had done a nice setup for my Civic.

I'm now back to stock lights after burning my hands on Projectors, had to change Projectors (one side - left hand) 2 times because of Moisture issue.
I use Lightforce 240 Blitz when I drive on highways at night (Only for long distance journey), when not in use I just remove them.

Best option would be to use a very good ballast & Hid bulb setup in low beam (say OSRAM/Philips 35W would suffice) & upgrade the high beam to very good halogens.
Low beam hid glare to on coming traffic is not that much in a Civic.

Last edited by sushrutha : 20th February 2015 at 11:25.
Old 20th February 2015, 20:31   #39
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Thanks. So you got it installed from that guy and I take it that it was not a high quality job since you had issues with moisture seeping through. I might have to look for other shops then.
BTW what is light force 240 Blitz? And where did you install it?

I am using Osram CBI halogen for high beams which provide a marginal improvement over stock highs.
Are you saying that Morimotos are not very good projector set up. I was thinking they made good quality stuff. But may be not.
When you say low beam HID glare do you mean in a projector or just Pnp in stock reflector? My understanding is that a good projector set up should not cause any glare at all since they have a nice cut off???

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2015 at 12:01. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 20th February 2015, 22:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. So you got it installed from that guy and I take it that it was not a high quality job since you had issues with moisture seeping through. I might have to look for other shops then.
BTW what is light force 240 Blitz? And where did you install it?
I did say that he had installed/retrofitted them very nicely, I had issue with one of the motors (headlamp adjusting one), water used to seep in through this.
Google around for lightforce 240 Blitz.
Quote:
I am using Osram CBI halogen for high beams which provide a marginal improvement over stock highs.
Are you saying that Morimotos are not very good projector set up. I was thinking they made good quality stuff. But may be not.
When you say low beam HID glare do you mean in a projector or just Pnp in stock reflector? My understanding is that a good projector set up should not cause any glare at all since they have a nice cut off???
I never said Morimotos are not very good projector setup ? where have I said that ?
I have had Morimoto & also FX-R projectors in my Civic... FX-r have a better low beam & moderately good high beam throw.

Low beam hid glare ... Is when you install without projector setup directly on the reflectors.

A nice cutoff doesn't mean, it's a good projector setup.
Good projector setup means,
Fantastic low-beam throw , reasonable & acceptable high beam, proper alignment of cutoff , no glare/very less glare to oncoming vehicle driver, proper dirt/moisture insulation etc.
Old 20th February 2015, 22:58   #41
BHPian

Thanks for the explanation mate. Which one would you recommend for projector set up, H1 minis or FX-R?
Old 20th February 2015, 23:33   #42
BHPian

Civic headlamp improvement

Oh man the light force seems to be a super duper off road / trekking/ rally accessory. How many lumens does it produce? I doubt it will be street legal though.

Last edited by pamiboy : 20th February 2015 at 23:34.
Old 24th February 2015, 12:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation mate. Which one would you recommend for projector set up, H1 minis or FX-R?
Anyday FX-R.
If you don't want to modify (Cut ) the headlamps reflectors.. then Plug & Play (PNP) projectors like Mini H1's is recommended.
Get a Hella EVO X projectors if they are available, they are fantastic ( Reflector modification/cut is required) with nice low beam & very good high beam throw
Old 27th March 2015, 13:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I'm now back to stock lights after burning my hands on Projectors, had to change Projectors (one side - left hand) 2 times because of Moisture issue.
I use Lightforce 240 Blitz when I drive on highways at night (Only for long distance journey), when not in use I just remove them.
Where did you get the Lightforce spots installed?

I had got the Blitzes installed at Kumar's, but moisture seeped in, and the reflectors have turned black, and they are not working properly anymore. Disappointed - that shouldn't have happened.
Old 27th March 2015, 13:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Where did you get the Lightforce spots installed?

I had got the Blitzes installed at Kumar's, but moisture seeped in, and the reflectors have turned black, and they are not working properly anymore. Disappointed - that shouldn't have happened.
I got those LF 240 from USA.
Just did a wiring by own & Clamps from a welding shop.

Don't you have a warranty ?
Just replace the reflector bowls, should be OK, but they are quite expensive (around $100 each) for the reflector bowls

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks