Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 13:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Aftermarket Armrest Fitment

This prodct looks interesting. Does it fit the Scorpio base model. The distance between the seats in the middle is definetely more than 15cms. How does it impact the power window switches located in the middle. If anyone has sourced it in Chennai, please do provide me the details
Old 5th April 2016, 10:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Installed the armrest in my Alto. It's a tight fit but both the seats can be moved without problem. Had to drill just two holes in the Handbrake casing

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-20160404_093257.jpg
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-20160404_093249.jpg

Many thanks to schakravarthy who gave me the armrest and Abirnale the original owner.

Last edited by samaspire : 5th April 2016 at 10:05.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 07:51   #18

The thought of getting an Arm Rest installed in my Dzire ZXI came into my mind after I was experiencing chronic pain in my left elbow, thanks to frequent 200 KM plus highways drives. Initially I was apprehensive about the gap between two seats where the Arm Rest will be placed. As per Specs mentioned, a minimum gap of 14 CM is required for installation of the Arm Rest, whereas in my car it was only 13 cm since I have installed a reasonably thick Seat Cover. I took a chance and ordered a Speedwav Arm Rest for Dzire from amazon.in. I thought of installing the Arm Rest by myself but realised that I don’t have Fibre Drilling machine with me and the hand brake plastic cover was too hard to be pierced by screw. I had to take the arm rest to my known accessory mechanic who did a splendid job of installing the Arm Rest.

Cost of the Arm Rest- Rs 680/-
Installation Charges- Rs 180/-

Here are some of my observations:

• All the Arm Rests are universal in nature. It is purely a marketing gimmick from various E Commerce sites to project that Arm Rests are car specific.
•It is written in the specification of the Arm Rest that Drilling is not required to get the arm rest installed, where as I think it is absolutely mandatory to drill the hand brake cover to ensure that the Arm Rest does not become loose with the day to day usage.

These are the few snaps of installation process & results:
Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-1.jpg  

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-2.jpg  

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-3.jpg  

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-4.jpg  

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-5.jpg  

peterasn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 08:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterasn View Post
The thought of getting an Arm Rest installed in my Dzire ZXI came into my mind after I was experiencing chronic pain in my left elbow, thanks to frequent 200 KM plus highways drives. Cost of the Arm Rest- Rs 680/-
Installation Charges- Rs 180/-
These are the few snaps of installation process & results:
Hi. Congrats on your new purchase. The fitting looks perfect and its completely worth. Am sure it will make your long trips more comfortable.
IMHO the arm rest colour is sticking out like a sore thumb. Why don't you get it covered with art leather which matches with your interior. You can get it for few hundred bucks. Just my two cent.
Drive safe.
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 18:03   #20
BHPian

Going by the number of threads on arm rests (both DIY and sourcing/fitment), one can gauge how useful an accessory the arm rest is, especially for those who like to drive long distances.

I too have been bitten by the armrest bug for a long time now, and have flirted with the most common universal armrest as have many others. I had installed it on my Swift, and it broke within 2 months of usage. Although I do admit to having put unwanted weight on it, leading to its premature demise.

Coming to the point, an armrest was sorely missed in all my 3 cars, and I was always on the lookout for something reliable, and something which shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. I did check with Hyundai on the lovely driver armrest they have on the Asta models of the i20, but they said I'd have to replace the entire seat , making me back out.

So, a couple of weeks back an office colleague of mine was showing me around his new Scorpio, and I happened to notice that his S4 had armrests on all seats. Upon enquiring, he told me about a fabricator he had found who could fit arm rests on all vehicles. And thus, the arm rest itch came back with a vengeance.

Finally found some time last weekend, and decided to try it on the Liva - the new long drive car in the family (given its good driveability & lower running costs). Had initially planned to install only the driver arm rests, but ended up installing both driver & passenger ones.

It involved removing the seats, stripping them to its base and welding the bracket onto the seat frame itself.

The whole process took around 3-4 hours (mine was the only car being worked upon that day).

Listing down the positives & negatives I could think of over 2-3 days of usage:
++
  • Almost OEM like fit & finish
  • Solid fitting a.k.a. wont break easily like the universal arm rest
  • Cheap. I was charged 2.5k for the pair. A single one could be had for 1.5k
  • Can be folded up when not in use, and wont interfere with anything
  • All cupholders and accessories below arm rest are completely usable

--
  • Wearing/removing the seat belt is not as easy as it was. Although I noticed that the amount of effort needed is almost equivalent to what I would need while using my friends Vento.
  • Too far. His shop is located in the outskirts of Delhi (Nangloi), and his factor further out (Kanjhawala). The shop is closed on Sundays and I had to drive to Kanjhawala. Approx 40kms one way from my place in Gurgaon. Took me 1hr 15 mins on a Sunday.
  • I should have got only the driver side installed. In my enthusiasm, got both installed. It could be my mental perception, but it feels a bit cramped (lesser empty space), although it still scores very high on comfort.
  • Need to remove/strip seats - can be an issue for some people who don't like OEM stuff being opened outside ASS

Posting some pictures for you guys.

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7741.jpg

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7742.jpg

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7743.jpg

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7744.jpg

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7745.jpg

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7746.jpg

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7747.jpg

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7749.jpg

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_7750.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 16th March 2017 at 08:04.
Sinner666 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 19:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
It involved removing the seats, stripping them to its base and welding the bracket onto the seat frame itself.
Very nice work
This is the most ideal and OEM way have an armrest in the car.

Can you share pictures of the welded frame. I have had this idea before, but the thought of stripping and welding a brand new car led me to alternative methods.

Your setup would look much better if the upholstery matched the seat covers.
Old 15th March 2017, 19:05   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

In Jan 2017, after getting my new OLD Gypsy, one of the things I did was to order an inexpensive after market armrest cum storage box for it.
I got it installed between the seats. Very comfy for a tall chap like me I can tell you.

It wasnt a straight fit. We had to drill 4 small holes in the central hump and bolt the unit on. For this we fabricated 4 nos simple L shaped clamps put of some pretty thick (4mm) waste aluminium strips and then bolted them on with good quality alloy lug bolts.

There was no danger to any wires or stuff underneath.

Its been fitted now and is really nice to use when driving. This is a cheap aftermarket piece which does the job. It cost around 700 Rs from Paytm and for which I paid using their generous cashback amounts recently received.

Nowhere near the quality of the OEM one in the Yeti but this is really very functional and useful.
Pics below.
Definitely recommended for the Gypsy! A HUGE help while driving about especially for a big built person and his co-passenger.

Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483774797.172711.jpg  

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483774808.856007.jpg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 12:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Can you share pictures of the welded frame. I have had this idea before, but the thought of stripping and welding a brand new car led me to alternative methods.
Unfortunately forgot to click pictures of the welded frame as I had walked out for lunch when they finished welding one of the frames, and by the time I was back they were putting on the foam covers.

Its basically a frame made of three sheets of metal making a square-ish shape with one side open (the side to be welded to the seat). The opposite end of this has a small rod projecting out, on which the armrest swings as well as the bolt to tighten it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Your setup would look much better if the upholstery matched the seat covers.
It actually does! Probably not clear in the pictures, but the seat backs are PU of the same color, although the seat PU is a bit darker given it has been in use for some time.
Hope this too will take the same shade once it starts getting used.
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 11:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1619413

Attachment 1619302
Does anybody from Bangalore does this kind of customized arm-rest job? I would need it for my WagonR as the "Universal armrests" doesn't fit properly on WagonRs.

Thanks in advance.
ramki067 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 17:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Does anybody from Bangalore does this kind of customized arm-rest job? I would need it for my WagonR as the "Universal armrests" doesn't fit properly on WagonRs.

Thanks in advance.
From whatever I could make out, this can be done by any competent upholstery guy who would also have a fabricator with him. It is not very complicated.
Or if you have the time & inclination, you can even get this done yourself, but will have to run around multiple vendors, and a bit of trial & error.

The guy I met did say that they ship their stuff to various accessory shops all over India, but it will be the assembly that will be critical. You will need to find a person capable enough to do it.

Last edited by Sinner666 : 17th March 2017 at 17:21.
Old 7th July 2017, 22:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for aftermarket armrest for 2010 estilo? Would the speedwav one available on Amazon fit?
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 06:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Any suggestions for aftermarket armrest for 2010 estilo? Would the speedwav one available on Amazon fit?
Same boat!

Estilo has very less gap between the front seats and therefore regular aftermarket armrests are an extremely tight fit with absolutely no clearance. Plus, the handbrake - when engaged - is at a slightly higher position than other Marutis. Armrest will compromise its operation. Even if we manage to fix one hoping to keep the armrest stationary, the fore and aft movement of both the front seats is likely to be hampered.

Hence, only a narrower than regular or a custom made armrest can be used in an Estilo.
Old 8th July 2017, 09:21   #28
BHPian

After searching for an armrest for my i20 and checking out the universal armrest available in all the car accessories shop i
I decided to do a D.I.Y and make a custom armrest for my Hyundai i20 (old shape) and I can say that it is better than the universal armrest available in the market.

Last edited by Akib Khan : 8th July 2017 at 09:27. Reason: spelling
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 14:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
After searching for an armrest for my i20 and checking out the universal armrest available in all the car accessories shop i
I decided to do a D.I.Y and make a custom armrest for my Hyundai i20 (old shape) and I can say that it is better than the universal armrest available in the market.
Share some photos please. It might help others.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 20:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Going by the number of threads on arm rests (both DIY and sourcing/fitment), one can gauge how useful an accessory the arm rest is, especially for those who like to drive long distances.

I too have been bitten by the armrest bug for a long time now, and have flirted with the most common universal armrest as have many others. I had installed it on my Swift, and it broke within 2 months of usage. Although I do admit to having put unwanted weight on it, leading to its premature demise.

Coming to the point, an armrest was sorely missed in all my 3 cars, and I was always on the lookout for something reliable, and something which shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. I did check with Hyundai on the lovely driver armrest they have on the Asta models of the i20, but they said I'd have to replace the entire seat , making me back out.

So, a couple of weeks back an office colleague of mine was showing me around his new Scorpio, and I happened to notice that his S4 had armrests on all seats. Upon enquiring, he told me about a fabricator he had found who could fit arm rests on all vehicles. And thus, the arm rest itch came back with a vengeance.

Finally found some time last weekend, and decided to try it on the Liva - the new long drive car in the family (given its good driveability & lower running costs). Had initially planned to install only the driver arm rests, but ended up installing both driver & passenger ones.

The whole process took around 3-4 hours (mine was the only car being worked upon that day).

Listing down the positives & negatives I could think of over 2-3 days of usage:
++
  • Almost OEM like fit & finish
  • Solid fitting a.k.a. wont break easily like the universal arm rest
  • Cheap. I was charged 2.5k for the pair. A single one could be had for 1.5k
  • Can be folded up when not in use, and wont interfere with anything
  • All cupholders and accessories below arm rest are completely usable

--
  • Wearing/removing the seat belt is not as easy as it was. Although I noticed that the amount of effort needed is almost equivalent to what I would need while using my friends Vento.
  • Too far. His shop is located in the outskirts of Delhi (Nangloi), and his factor further out (Kanjhawala). The shop is closed on Sundays and I had to drive to Kanjhawala. Approx 40kms one way from my place in Gurgaon. Took me 1hr 15 mins on a Sunday.
  • I should have got only the driver side installed. In my enthusiasm, got both installed. It could be my mental perception, but it feels a bit cramped (lesser empty space), although it still scores very high on comfort.
  • Need to remove/strip seats - can be an issue for some people who don't like OEM stuff being opened outside ASS

Hello ! Could you please share contact details/Name&Location of the shop.
Thanks!

Most Viewed