Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!

FORTUNER,
A Fantastic vehicle to drive, got awesome torque and almost 1BHK like space.
Drove my friend's Fortuner, The only issue I faced was Projector Focus for LOW BEAM being very low.
No matter how much ever headlight leveller is adjusted, the beam is not so much enough to penetrate a much longer low beam distance.
How do I increase the height of focus of the Projectors ?
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

I was supposed to start a thread for the same issue faced by my friend,who hails from Nagpur.He is also not happy with the Projector Focus for LOW BEAM.

He has July 2010 model with already 15k on the odo.

Comments please
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I was supposed to start a thread for the same issue faced by my friend,who hails from Nagpur.He is also not happy with the Projector Focus for LOW BEAM.

He has July 2010 model with already 15k on the odo.

Comments please
Isn't it ? :-)
Poor design for low beam projectors.
My friend's FORTUNER is July 2010 too.
Another thing with Fortuner is ... Spongy brakes..
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If the headlight height adjustment feature isnt helping you, you need to adjust the screws connecting the bulbs. Am not sure on this since many of swift projector lights have this problems and have been rectified adjusting the screws.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
If the headlight height adjustment feature isnt helping you, you need to adjust the screws connecting the bulbs. Am not sure on this since many of swift projector lights have this problems and have been rectified adjusting the screws.
I don't think Fortuner has that option to Adjust the headlight screws as we used to do for earlier 800 car.
Guys please pour in you ideas
Old 4th November 2010, 12:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
No matter how much ever headlight leveller is adjusted, the beam is not so much enough to penetrate a much longer low beam distance.
1) Is the leveller switch functioning or has it broken at a low setting?
2) See if you can manually adjust the entire assembly. Follow these guidelines :

- How to adjust headlight beams

- Headlamp level adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Another thing with Fortuner is ... Spongy brakes..
Toyota has worked towards resolving this. Please get the required done ASAP

Toyota upgrading fortuner's brakes

cya
R
Old 8th November 2010, 11:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
1) Is the leveller switch functioning or has it broken at a low setting?
2) See if you can manually adjust the entire assembly. Follow these guidelines :

- How to adjust headlight beams

- Headlamp level adjustment

Toyota has worked towards resolving this. Please get the required done ASAP

Toyota upgrading fortuner's brakes

cya
R
@Rehaan, thanks for the links, but those links mostly talk about normal headlights adjustments.
I need to adjust the Projector headlamp focus
1 - No, it's not broken the leveller switch is intact.
Regarding the brakes, it's a new fortuner with upgraded brakes, still I felt the brakes to be quite spongy.
Old 19th January 2015, 17:00   #8
BHPian

I purchased my fortuner a year back. Wonderful vehicle but the low beam always disappointed me. First thing to do was to Google for the solution and thought it would be a cake walk but surprisingly all related forums said that it wasn't possible to adjust the low beam projectors! Had lost hope and never even tried to look under the hood to explore options. But thanks to Sudeep, he helped me yesterday to fix the issue. There are adjustment screws located next to the projectors to adjust for vertical and horizontal correction. Pic will follow.

The height adjustment screw.

Mod note: Back to back posts, you can edit the original post if it is within 15 minutes. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-screenshots_20150119171106.png  

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th January 2015 at 17:54.
gotcha797 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 21:09   #9
BHPian

Mod note: Please go through Announcements sections before proceeding further. How to upload multiple images here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP)

Raised the right beam
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-20150118_175058.jpg

Leveled the left one as well.
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-20150118_181054.jpg

Low beam pattern on road after raising their height. Driving on dark roads is a breeze as the left side pedestrian area is well lit upto 100mtrs ahead.
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-201501182151411.png

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd January 2015 at 12:43.
gotcha797 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

re: Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!

Thanks for sharing gotcha797!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha797 View Post
Low beam pattern on road after raising their height. Driving on dark roads is a breeze as the left side pedestrian area is well lit upto 100mtrs ahead.
Honestly, i think you've overdone it a bit.

The top cut-off line of a headlight beam should always drop as it travels forward (never rise).

Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-headlight20aiming.jpg
source

If it rises, its inevitably going to blind oncoming drivers, and its a big safety issue (despite you feeling like you have a great view of the road ahead).

In the pic you've shown, any vehicle at a distance just further than the Skoda will get blinded. By 50 meters, you're lighting up the roof of the house!

Please go back and adjust the beams to be on the more courteous (lower) side

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd January 2015 at 13:02.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!

[Disclaimer
: nothing personal against anyone, but...] I hate it when XUV500 and Fortuners come behind me with either the low-beam focus-adjusted very high (as above) or with the high beam on (in city traffic). Just imagine my plight when i face them in oncoming traffic

I am in the habit of using the internal rear-view mirror as well as both the ORVMs when driving, and both rear-view mirrors when riding.

I am not exaggerating when I say that my eyes ache (it is not just getting temporarily blinded, but feeling pain) when the projector lights hit me.

So, humble request to drivers/riders using projector/and/or/HID lights...please have pity on other road users and use the lights responsibly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
...Honestly, i think you've overdone it a bit.

The top cut-off line of a headlight beam should always drop as it travels forward (never rise).

Thanks for highlighting (pun intended) that

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 23rd January 2015 at 14:40.
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 23:13   #12
BHPian

Rehaan and blue thunder thanks for making me realise the mistake. I have readjusted my low beam upper cut off so that it doesn't bother oncoming traffic. But frankly the company settings are very low and need to be raised a little otherwise the area which is illuminated just ahead of the vehicle is way brighter than the focus area of high beam. This results in a high contrast between the near and far area thus making it difficult to have good view at higher speeds on highways as one needs to look farther. And there isn't any option to just switch on the high beam to resolve the same.
gotcha797 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 00:13   #13
BHPian

I do a lot of highway driving and quite a lot of it spills into the dark hours. For safety and comfort of driving in dark one requires to have an apt headlamps setup. But on the other side it has to be understood that more than own lights piercing through the dark what matters is amount of light being flashed into your eyes by the oncoming traffic.

So this translates to a setup which is bright enough, has long throw and doesn't hurt into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
In my above posts I have shared pics of adjusted low beam projector assembly. The same has been very helpful during night highway driving. However i wasn't satisfied as bi xenon projectors had always fascinated me. So decided to install a bi xenon projectors on my fortuner. I had the following two options-

1. Install bi xenon projectors after removing high beam bulb and cutting into the reflectors. (Cons- there will be no options to revert back in case the mod doesn't suit my requirements)
2. Install Bi xenon projector by replacing my fog lamps. (Cons- the height would be low to get the desired effect)
Both options would have costed me almost similar. I went with the second one as I had an option to revert back to the original (I'll explain how later in this post).

Went through all the post on teambhp forum related to projector lights. Came across this post by FeelTheBass(BHPian) mentioning of MXS Moto sports, 1617/32, Karol Bagh.

Being located in Delhi thought of giving it a try at this place having read a positive review in the above mentioned post. Met Mr Manjeet Singh at the given address and explained to him my requirements, he said though he hasn't preformed any such mod before but would love to give it a try. Liked his attitude and attributed to vast range of products available i finalised the projector model, design, HID color temp and wattage on spot. Below are pics of original fog lamp assembly before, during and after installation.

The stock foglamps assembly
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-screenshot_20150514224637.jpg

front view of foglamps assembly after removing the cover
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150520_215548.jpg

the removed stock foglamps
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150520_215625.jpg

Foglamps assembly cover: The projectors were selected keeping in mind the dimensions of this cover
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150520_215711.jpg

No drilling or cutting involved, only a bracket was mounted in an existing hole
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150521_234927.jpg
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150521_235003.jpg

The Bi xenon projector with the prepared mounting bracket
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150520_215849.jpg

After fixing the projectors in place
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150520_215951.jpg
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150520_215916.jpg

The final look
Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!-rps20150520_220052.jpg

Some minor adjustments are left before I share the pics of the beam pattern. The boy Ashu working at MXS Motosports is a real genius and it's worth mentioning his name here as it won't have been a smooth sailing without his efforts.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd May 2015 at 10:03. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for readability :) + Fixing picture alignment
gotcha797 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 20:57   #14
BHPian

Re: Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!

Hi Gotcha797

I too had this issue of the low beam. I had raised the beam in the Toyota service center , but I found that it blinded the oncoming traffic with people flashing THEIR high beams onto me (thinking I was using my High Beam).

So I went back to the service center, and in the dark (for this I really have to thank the Chaudhary Toyota, Jalgaon, team who stayed back after their office hours to help me sort this issue out) -Placed their Test drive Fortuner alongside & adjusted my beams to throw a little farther than their fortuner.

This has solved my issue big time!

On another note- do you find much advantage in your new BiXenons? And How much did they cost? Also would this set up void the Fortuner warranty?

Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th May 2015 at 17:43. Reason: Added some paragraph spacing and corrected some typos. Please take some time to present your posts well. Thanks.
Old 11th June 2015, 18:10   #15
BHPian

Re: Adjust Projector focus for Low-Beam on Fortuner? UPDATE: Projectors in Fog Lamps!

Hi Nariman. Sorry for replying late to your querry (was out of network zone for quite sometime).

Earlier I had also raised my low beam on the higher side and faced the same issue as you. However finally adjusted them in a manner so that the oncoming cars are illuminated only upto their bonnet and the Co driver side is illuminated upto a height of 4 feet at a distance of 25 feet.

As for the bi xenon fogs, they costed me about 10K plus installation. Costing is based on the model of projectors, wattage and color temp of the HIDs. Mine are 55w with a color temp of 4300k.
Advantages over stock -
1.low beam intensity is awesome now.
2. I now have that Audi and BMW type flashing effect when using high beam or asking for pass.

Would soon post some pics of the beam pattern.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks