Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 17:35   #1
BHPian

quest for the ultimate zen

i have sort of a soft spot for zens... having built a couple for customers and friends over the years. but in my mind always wanted to build one where cost was no bar,the ultimate fast-road car had'nt yet got the opportunity to built one for someone so set about doing it myself

to start with the ultimate zen (strictly in MY mind) had to be a 2 door, now 2 door zens are hard to find, look for one and the few butchered ones are going for crazy prices. after 4 months of searching finally struck a logical deal. a zen carbon, all the fundamentals were there and fine, drove it back with a smile on my face.

always wanted a two door and now i own one, sadly in the workshop business ones own car is given the least priority sad but true.

plan to start unfolding thoughts in my mind from next week... pics to follow soon.

PS: ultimate for me is a daily which goes like stink but stays civilized 'enough' with all the creature comforts intact. am sure there are and there will be faster zens built for different purposes across the country, this build is by no means at any point of time a comparison to any of them.
zen builds i have come to hear are like lego... (idhar ka udhar, udhar ka idhar ). let this be a tribute to all of them ...

phil
Old 12th November 2010, 17:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Subscribed . Now waiting to see how its done RWD . .
Old 12th November 2010, 17:54   #3
BHPian

hey mate fwd only...
Old 12th November 2010, 18:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

My feelings exactly, sold my zen a couple of weeks back and got a Baleno, having a ultimate zen could only remain a wish. Plan to buy one back in the coming years and do it up. Please document this build in detail for people like me. All the best.
Old 12th November 2010, 22:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

To me the ultimate zen would be one with a G16B turbo-charged engine, an awd system(similar to the lancer-evo converts), some really stiff suspension like Konis (I wanted that in my zen but was told that only the OEM kits are available for the zen and the rest were the jugaad stuff) and a nice wide set of rubber complimenting the suspension. The exterior would be pretty much stock. I really was considering the above but most of it was not possible and was just wishful thinking by me.
Anyways speedspot best of luck with your project. Do keep us updated.
Old 13th November 2010, 00:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

All the best with your lego, I hope with the blessing of your parents you will be able to complete this project

I would be interested to know by what do you mean by civilized "ENOUGH". I have had some glimpses of this car would let speedsport reveal everything, wont play spoil sport here. I am first in line for the test drive.
Old 13th November 2010, 02:16   #7
BHPian

Best of luck with it,g13 is an amazing engine with soo much potential,if worked correctly will be a bomb,best of luck,cheers,happy revving..!
Old 1st December 2010, 13:03   #8
BHPian

sorry mates been busy with other stuff so couldnt update sooner...

finally decided on a spec list :

1) cusco coilovers (24 step 2 way adjustable)
2) -10 offset 6j wheels
3) bigger brakes in front
4) rear disc brake conversion
*steel braided hoses for all 4 corners
5) 4x2x1 custom headers
6) strut brace + bottom leg brace
7) higher cfm radiator fan
8) cultus twin cam engine
9) suzuki sport spec full dog box
10) sequential shifter
11) autometer monster shift light
12) equal length runners with plenum intake manifold
13) haltech E6x ecu
14) cosworth main pulley
15) omp corsica wrc steering wheel with suzuki sport horn button
16) wilwood brake bias kit
17) suzuki sport brake booster
18) hyper fire 8mm plug wires
19) mallory ignition
20) cusco 1.5way lsd
21) titanium valves
22) beehive valve springs

everything baring the sequential shifter has arrived and is in the car.now if i can just finish this in time

will post pics by evening as my bb has no charge

cheers
phil
speedsport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2010, 13:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Could you post more details on rear disc brake conversion .The whole setup looks smashing . Waiting for pics and report .Is there a turbo?
Old 1st December 2010, 14:40   #10
BHPian

If this is not the ultimate zen, I dont know what will be. Hats off!
Old 1st December 2010, 14:45   #11
BHPian

Well done Phil! you've done what I wanted to do, when I had my Zen Carbon. I really miss that car.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:59   #12
BHPian

wow dog box must have costed you a fair bit that whine from the gears is addictive music to the ears,did you shift to cable gear box to be able to use the sequential shifter,cultus twincam should be interesting (11.5:1 compression,nice intake manifold,slighty aggressive cams as opposed to the gti),it would be an absolute winner if someone could accomodate the cultus awd gear box and diff onto the zen,im sure it would take a lot,some people choose the single cam head as they say it flows better top end with bigger valve's compared to the twincam,but then again the twin cam has the flexibility to adjust intake/exhaust cam timing individually so much to be gained out of that,cusco coilover's for a zen? wow that must require some serious modifcations to the mounting points and the top hats etc,waiting to see the cusco lsd aswel,big brakes in front are esteem or from the 89 swift/cultus hatch? rear brake kit and brake bias will really change the feel of the car in and out of corners simply great control,overall a great project,pictures awaited,best of luck with all things ahead,cheers,happy revving..!
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:20   #13
BHPian

Finally the first batch of pictures!! Exterior mods in progress. Enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails
quest for the ultimate zen-img_0001.jpg  

quest for the ultimate zen-img_0002.jpg  

quest for the ultimate zen-img_0003.jpg  

quest for the ultimate zen-img_0004.jpg  

quest for the ultimate zen-img_0005.jpg  

quest for the ultimate zen-img_0006.jpg  

speedsport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:14   #14
BHPian

hey can you shed some more light on the rear disc conversion or is this a tightly kept secret?? just wondering
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:27   #15
BHPian

@mustangman.. thanks mate.

@dragger : lol not tightly kept secret, zen front rotors with adaptor plate. hope that answers your question.
yes , actually the dog box is more expensive than the car LOL. sequential shifter was modyfied to run in the zen .

Last edited by speedsport : 2nd December 2010 at 15:41. Reason: didnt want to post again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks