Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Now Drive Your Car - With Your Cellphone!

Two engineers from Nokia Asia have done just that - remotely-controlling a BMW with the Symbian smartphone, the Nokia C7! They took just twenty days to create the necessary software and remote control hardware to operate a 1-Series’ steering, brakes and accelerator, as well as all the regular gadgets inside.

No idea what the intention was, apart from playing pranks on parking attendants, but it's quite a cool app nevertheless. Don't expect to see it anytime soon in the Ovi appstore, however!

~ engadget
Old 21st January 2011, 08:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Now Drive Your Car - With Your Cellphone!

One use I can see is that. If your parking space can accommodate 2 cars, but the entry/exit space is sufficient only to take out 1 at a time.
Then you can use this app to move the other car if it is in the way and to put it back later.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
One use I can see is that. If your parking space can accommodate 2 cars, but the entry/exit space is sufficient only to take out 1 at a time.
Then you can use this app to move the other car if it is in the way and to put it back later.
Thats a cool idea ! I see my neighbors fighting for tightly parked cars very often.This can surely help
Old 21st January 2011, 09:38   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Shades of Pierce Brosnan as James Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies??

Only there it was a Sony Ericsson phone.

What I didnt like then was the fact that it robbed an otherwise pretty nice Bond movie of its trademark wicked car chase!
Old 21st January 2011, 11:27   #5
SRK
Senior - BHPian

A great concept!

But I hope the phone doesn't hang or restart

It would be great to see home appliances being controlled with the smart phones in the future.

By the way even BlackBerry had done a similar thing but on a F1 car.
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, we could download those remote apps on our symbian mobiles that could serve as a TV remote using the phones IR

Neat job for the car app, but make sure you have it plugged into the charging source at all times. I enjoyed with the idea of controlling the car using a phone in the bond flick. Cant recollect the name.
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:21   #7
BHPian

This could become a great thing someday once we find more practical everyday applications. Maybe the time is not far when we would have Remote controlled Car races and R/c car rallies. All the fun without none getting hurt.
Old 24th January 2011, 00:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Well, we could download those remote apps on our symbian mobiles that could serve as a TV remote using the phones IR

Neat job for the car app, but make sure you have it plugged into the charging source at all times. I enjoyed with the idea of controlling the car using a phone in the bond flick. Cant recollect the name.
Brandon,

The irremote app is already present for Symbian which controls your electronic appliances. Also, there is a RDP Application to control your desktop/laptop

It would be great to control your car through this

Last edited by inder_s1 : 24th January 2011 at 00:19.
Old 25th December 2012, 13:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Soon Smartphones can be your car keys.

Rediff.com reports that Hyundai have invented a new system that will allow your smartphone to double as your car keys, and the technology will be made available to buyers within two years.
Link:Link
Quote:
Rather than using Bluetooth, the system by Hyundai uses wireless Near Field Communication (NFC), allowing you to lock and unlock the car by waving your phone over a small tag on the car window.
Inside the car, you place the phone on a pad in the centre console that wirelessly charges it while the content is synced and streamed to the car's infotainment system and touchscreen.
The system can also store in-car preferences, including radio stations, seating positions and even mirror adjustment - with multiple profiles able to be saved for different drivers.
The system was demonstrated on a concept version of Hyundai's popular i30 in Germany.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th December 2012 at 13:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks