Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 15:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which bike for the best fuel economy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

And stay away from any Bajaj product, if you want a glitch free experience for years together, and still get a fair price when you decide to sell!
I am surprised to hear that. What is the problem with Bajaj? I am using my Pulsar 180 for last 4 years. You will be surprised to know that i have not paid a single penny on it till date. (I paid for regular services & only once for brake pads) It is still in stock condition. It is very very reliable machine. It has clocked 25 K till date.

Previously also i was riding Bajaj Caliber. We used it for more than 90 K kms & we never faced any major issues apart from regular service & some repairs. Till last date it used to give very good mileage. Bajaj bikes are always better than others in terms of mileage. Also they will start in one kick or in one starter where as HH bikes always has problem in starting.

You can consider Discover 125 for you use. Its a very good bike at very good price.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:02   #32
BHPian

I just bought a FZ16. Used to ride the Wind 125 all these days. But Bangalore traffic, I need something more imposing and safe. So sold the old bike for 18K, bought this new one for 78K.
So far so good
Mileage. Yes, its a little less, but I would only be spending a 200Rupees per month over the Wind if I average 800 Kms. So, that should be negligible.
Old 19th May 2011, 20:37   #33
BHPian

My vote goes to Twister. One office colleague bought it 4 months back. And he's sitting next to me as I write this. It's comfortable (We both are 5"11 and find it comfortable). Has good milage. Is, IMO, most stylish in this category. Very light. You'll get atleast 55+ kmpl. Pick-up helps in our crazy Bangalore traffic. Honda engines are good. Honda, i think, also commands a good resale value. Plus it has more power than splendour.
Old 19th May 2011, 23:15   #34
BHPian

+1 to Gansan. Man the perfect choice would be HH Splendor whichever model it may be and next choice would be something from the yamaha stable. But my sincere suggestion never go in for a Bajaj cos they are not customer friendly but service center friendly This is just from my past experience of owning a HH splendor and then the Pulsar 150. 180 and now 200.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghutk View Post
Hello Friends,
I have been riding car since 5 years( Used to drive Avenger before but have sold it) and off late due to petrol hikes and environment concerns I am planning to ride motor bike to office.

Below are my list of things I would look in a commuter bike.

1. Must be reliable to service, to maintain and long lasting.
2. Give very good mileage.
3. Confortable to ride.
4. Good resale in case I change my mind to get back to car.
5. I do want bike around +/- 100cc so that it is very economical.

Please give my suggestions. I am planning to buy early next month.
Thanks in Advance.
Well, it all depends upon how much travelling you need to do daily, and how much traffic do you face? I would suggest to try out Royal Enfield.
Since you are switching from car to bike, I think comfort could be a key thing too. From a mileage perspective will it matter much if you compare 45 KMPL against a 60 KMPL, if you are offered more than double comfort?

I would suggest you to prioritize the attributes that you need in a bike first and then decide.

Good luck and safe & comfortable driving!
Old 20th May 2011, 13:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,
I have been riding car since 5 years( Used to drive Avenger before but have sold it) and off late due to petrol hikes and environment concerns I am planning to ride motor bike to office.

Below are my list of things I would look in a commuter bike.

1. Must be reliable to service, to maintain and long lasting.
2. Give very good mileage.
3. Confortable to ride.
4. Good resale in case I change my mind to get back to car.
5. I do want bike around +/- 100cc so that it is very economical.

Please give my suggestions. I am planning to buy early next month.
Thanks in Advance.

My suggestion is that DO NOT BUY a 100 cc. If you can afford then pay a few thousand more and go for a 150+ cc bike. Most of the 100 cc bikes run on skinny tyres and have bad brakes. They are also very uncomfortable on the long commutes. The fact that they have tiny underpowered mills (that claim to do a million K/litre) does not help much. Just imagine yourself overtaking a truck at 60 Kph on an open road.

To drive the point of milage, I saw this video once where a Toyota Prius (designed to give high milage) was made to go around the tracke as fast as possible. While a BMW M3 (not what you can call an economical car) was just asked to follow it. The Prius returned 18 Mpg, while the M3 went for 20 Mpg.

The point is if you want more milage, then change your driving style. I bet a 150 ridden properly will be more economical than a 100 cc with a throttle happy (which one will do to keep up with traffic ) riding.
Old 20th May 2011, 13:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Well, it all depends upon how much travelling you need to do daily, and how much traffic do you face? I would suggest to try out Royal Enfield.
Since you are switching from car to bike, I think comfort could be a key thing too. From a mileage perspective will it matter much if you compare 45 KMPL against a 60 KMPL, if you are offered more than double comfort?

I would suggest you to prioritize the attributes that you need in a bike first and then decide.

Good luck and safe & comfortable driving!
Yes Rahul I agree with you.. But here I am planning to have this one purely on the economic sense. I have no intention to use this other than daily commute to office. Also getting an RE will be a big hit in my pocket as well. I was just checking with one of my friend the RE 500 gives around 25 kmpl.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

If economy is the only criteria, I would also recommend HH Splendour, one litre of petrol will last long, really long but having said that I would also agree to the fact if there's two person on a little heavier side on the bike, it does feel underpowered.
But then, this bike can go on in any condition, and with a little care it would serve you for a long time.
Yamaha Crux can be a contender for HH Splendour. But have not read anybody recommending HH CD Dawn and or CD Deluxe

But if you, want to look a little ahead in terms of style and power, I would recommend a few
1. TVS Star city
2. Yamaha YBR Series (110,125cc) or may be SZ and SZ-x too
3. HH Range(Splendour Pro/Super or NXG or Passion Pro)
4. Suzuki Slingshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I own Yamaha Gladiator 125 CC (Type SS). It returns 60+ KMPL consistently. And offers better ride and better seationg position, at least for me.
Now, I am very much happy with Yamaha.
I also own a Gladiator 125Cc early June 2006 model with around 16k only on the odo. yes, it indeed offers a better ride, good seating position and perfect for a little spirited city run.
No niggles , it is stil stock.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:46   #39
BHPian

Which bike for the best fuel economy?

This one

On a perfectly serious note a cycle is awesome fun, keeps you in shape and saves you a pretty penny.

Since you're in Bangalore, the weather is great and as a bonus you'll find a whole load of friendly fellow bikers doing cool stuff on mornings and weekends.

You could get a commuter motorcycle with decent mileage but trust me when I say you won't have one nth of the fun.

Cheers,

Rahul
Old 20th May 2011, 19:44   #40
BHPian

Since you are OK with a 100 CC bike and want a low maintenance, highly reliable bike, go for Hero Honda Passion.

The bike has the reliability of Splendor, Seating comfort of a Bullet, Self start option, alloy wheels, comes from the house of HH, will be supported and sold even when it changes from Hero Honda to just "Hero", has been long enough in the market and is easy to drive and very comfortable.
Old 20th May 2011, 22:08   #41
BHPian

Is there a list of the bikes shortlisted? Once that is there, test ride them. That will bring out the differences in them. No bike is bad, they are all good. All have their Good and the Bad.

Now, if I were in your shoes I would have my eyes on Honda Shine and Pulsar 135. Both modern bikes, well built, good after sales support and full fill all your requirements.

Keep us updated.

MaSh
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:40   #42

150cc has the advantage of power when you need. It's not about the speed but being safe while overtaking slower motorists. And you'll feel the difference during peak traffic hours. Secondly, smaller engines need to work harder; they tend to wear out more quickly and return less mileage in the long run.

If you're on a 100cc bike, it's very easy to be rear-ended because you're too slow. And the truck example mentioned by kaushal21fb, an unsafe situation indeed. Still, if the general traffic is slow, a 100cc would be fine.

Bajaj bikes do the job, that's it. I presently ride a Bajaj and I'm not happy with the ergonomics and ride position. If you're looking at quality and ergonomics look at the Honda stable. I'd suggest the CB Unicorn Dazzler (150cc) or Twister (110cc).
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:23   #43
BHPian

I am on the same situation as Raghu mentioned. Driving car for daily office commute is becoming difficult even though I have a design car.
I have shortlisted Bajaj Avenger. Just want to know how is this bike for office commute. Else I have to look out those Honda Bikes.

I am looking of daily office commute but do not want to end up with back pain/shoulder pain. My daily to/fro commute is 45kms per day.
Looking for good shock absorbers
More than 100CC bike
(40-50) is a good mileage for me
Do not want to ride those Activa kind of scooters
Good comfortable seating position
Good After sales service

Please suggest.
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
My only concern is now Hero Honda is without the back up of Honda. Will it be still as good as it was before ?

Quality has dropped a lot. Nothing like the ones they used to make.

(I still have a 96 splendor). There are two ways to look at it. I don't use it a lot these days, Ive done about 2.7 L as of now. Bore/piston and engine work done once. plenty of tyres replaced, clutch plates, clutch cover assemblies shock absorbers, fork tubes, chain sprockets etc all replaced a few times. Cables ( they never snapped even once, but I replace them once in a while), spark plugs, Head light bulb replaced just 2 times. But thats all normal wear and tear. Always starts on the first kick. I do hear the ones that you get these days are not like the ones made in the 90z. Thats the view of my mechanic. I havent ridden a recent one. But things i know the old rims were heavier than the new ones I replaced. Similar with most parts. Still on original paint though. It has never let me down anywhere. One reason why I will most probably have it with me. Best mileage I ever got was 74. Consistent 60+.

Last edited by YaeJay : 22nd May 2011 at 22:25.
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:14   #45

hey guys, there are so many models in splendor alone... i think the power is also different.. can anyone shed some light on it.. because somewhere i had read ..

Splendor+,
Splendor NXG,
Super Splendor is some 9bhp or so..
Splendor Pro ..

Now which is the best of the lot ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks