Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 11:13   #1
BHPian

Which bike for the best fuel economy ?

Hello Friends,
I have been riding car since 5 years( Used to drive Avenger before but have sold it) and off late due to petrol hikes and environment concerns I am planning to ride motor bike to office.

Below are my list of things I would look in a commuter bike.

1. Must be reliable to service, to maintain and long lasting.
2. Give very good mileage.
3. Confortable to ride.
4. Good resale in case I change my mind to get back to car.
5. I do want bike around +/- 100cc so that it is very economical.

Please give my suggestions. I am planning to buy early next month.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which bike for the best fuel economy ?

Look no further than the Splendor on all counts, though it may not be very comfortable on long rides. For distances up to 15 - 20 KM at a stretch, I find it comfortable enough.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Look no further than the Splendor on all counts, though it may not be very comfortable on long rides. For distances up to 15 - 20 KM at a stretch, I find it comfortable enough.
My only concern is now Hero Honda is without the back up of Honda. Will it be still as good as it was before ?
Old 18th May 2011, 11:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

^^The splendor and other models they are currently making will stay with HH, who will pay royalty to HMSIL. So no concerns, at least for another 5 - 8 years.

Edit: The alloy wheel model is rumoured to return less FE than the spoke wheeled one, so check it out before buying. I am not sure why this should happen.

And stay away from any Bajaj product, if you want a glitch free experience for years together, and still get a fair price when you decide to sell!

Last edited by Gansan : 18th May 2011 at 11:31.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Edit: The alloy wheel model is rumoured to return less FE than the spoke wheeled one, so check it out before buying. I am not sure why this should happen.
The mag wheels are heavier than the wire spoked ones. That could be one reason.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:57   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2011 at 17:05.
cooljai is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2011, 12:06   #7
BHPian

Any suggestions / recommendations Suzuki slingshot, Yamaha YBR and Honda Twister
Old 18th May 2011, 12:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the Slingshot and YBR 125 cc?

The Honda twister looks snazzy but I really have not spoken with any of the owners so far. But I am sure none of the three will compare to the Splendor in resale value.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

My bet would be the TVS Star City/ Sports or the Honda Twister.

TVS are fun to ride bikes & I have first hand experience at 150cc TVS (Fiero F2) & it would give me around the same mileage (in economy mode) as HH Splendor (my first bike). Even my P150 manages same figures as the Splendor.

The plastics (strength) in HH bikes is not good as my Splendor had cracks in the headlight visor & mudguards under 45K kms sedate use. Whereas Fiero & P150 did not have under over 100K & 65k kms rough use (enjoying the 150 mill in city sprints).

The Honda Twister is a good bike with 110cc mill that churns out 9.1 bhp, as compared to under 8 bhp of the Splendor, even TVS Star bikes churn out little over 8 bhp.

I suggest you test ride the bike with the wider seat so that you are fairly comfortable when you ride the bike.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 12:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the Slingshot and YBR 125 cc?

The Honda twister looks snazzy but I really have not spoken with any of the owners so far. But I am sure none of the three will compare to the Splendor in resale value.
I heard YBR110 has come into the market and people have mixed opinion on this bike. I also heard from few friends of mine that quality of Yamaha bikes are really good.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^I am sure some of the newer bikes may be better than Splendor. But if resale value and years of trouble free operation are important to you, buying them at this point may be a gamble.

I recommended Splendor from personal experience. Mine is 11 years/ 91000 KM old, still returns 61+ KMPL and is still stock. And I was offered a good price for it recently, in case I wanted to sell! TVS (not TVS suzuki) and Bajaj (the worst) products do not age as well in comparison and start coming apart at the seams, in my experience. If longevity is a criteria, stay away from these two.

Finally, my recommendation is only for an economical commuter that can remain trouble free for years and still fetch a good price! If what you want is fun quotient, you have to move up the chain and I can recommend different bikes. Splendor won't fit the bill.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 13:42   #12
BHPian

I think the Discover 100cc would be a good option for you. The mileage is very good and it has a good reputation as a reliable machine. The resale value is also decent as the Discover has a good brand reputation. I have been riding one for the past 6 years and more and have never faced any issues with the bike.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:59   #13
BHPian

Reading your requirements, I am wondering why not a scooter like Honda Activa, Dio, etc? It would allow other members at home to use it too along with full filling all your needs.

If only a bike, I would pick one of these: Pulsar 135cc, Honda Shine, Stunner.

MaSh
Old 18th May 2011, 14:17   #14
BHPian

You could take a look at the P135. Though the mileage might not be as great as that of the Splendor's, it more than compensates for it by means of the power available on tap. Mileage figures vary between 55-65 km/l. My petrol expenses are 500/- for about 500 (many times a few kms over 500) km of monthly running.

Ultimately it is your choice, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Reading your requirements, I am wondering why not a scooter like Honda Activa, Dio, etc? It would allow other members at home to use it too along with full filling all your needs.

If only a bike, I would pick one of these: Pulsar 135cc, Honda Shine, Stunner.

MaSh
Thanks for the suggestion. At home we already have an activa which my wife uses it for daily travel.
Stunner looks good. I do not know how is the FE compared to Shine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks