Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 10:40   #1
BHPian

Kawasaki Ninja 250R: another ownership review

Getting the Ninja was quite an accident - I wanted a CBR250R and sold the Karizma for it. Then rode the Honda in April, wasn't satisfied and since I work in the same building as the Probiking Showroom, went and looked at the finance options. To my surprise, I could afford it so I opted for the Ninja. I’m going to keep this as brief as possible, so I’m not going to say anything that already has been said before.

1. HDFC loan person didn't know the rules properly so missed out on the April batch of bikes. Had to wait two months.
2. Praful at the showroom has been very patient with me, but he's got a habit of committing unrealistic timelines. First he promised the bike in ten days when there wasn’t one in stock; then he committed two days for the registration number – it’s been a week and a half and it still hasn’t arrived. I’ve now been told that the Thane RTO takes ten days for the number.
3. PDI was done when I went to the showroom, but they expected me to sign the gate pass without inspecting the bike. Turned out first-aid kit was missing.
4. Low fuel warning lamp was on – I knew that they were supposed to fill up just enough for it to turn off, but wasn’t bothered in the excitement. It was dumb luck that I’m uncomfortable with anything less than a half tank and therefore headed straight to the petrol pump. Looks like they put in less than a litre of fuel. I don’t think this qualifies as premium treatment.
5. Received the insurance cover note only after reminding the sales rep – who didn’t have it with him. Small thing that should have been ready, considering I’d confirmed the previous day that I’d be picking up the bike.
6. Called up the service center to ask for parts – the stuff that usually needs replacement like the oil filter, throttle and clutch cables etc. They had a couple of oil filters in stock (Rs 333) but only a clutch cable (Rs 800-odd) but no accelerator cable – this is the twin cable that bikes like the Karizma have, so they aren’t interchangeable. It isn’t very hard to find the Thane service center.
7. The air filter is a really old foam-type one. I’m sure we can do better with an aftermarket one now.

The motorcycle itself, now:
1. Turns heads, and everyone wants to touch it. Annoying considering I’m very particular about any vehicles in my care. Sometimes makes me wish I’d got the black. On the positive side, have been complimented. Nearly everyone gets a heart attack when they get to know how much it cost.
2. Changed the oil at 400-odd km, am following the Motoman break-in. Also installed Puig frame sliders. Found that it had the minimum amount of coolant – is Bajaj really this cheap?
3. Bike was delivered with preload one step stiffer than softest. I weigh nearly 100kg and it was too hard even for me. Have now set it to the softest, and it is worlds better.
Tank pad has gone on, and puncture sealant will go in next Sunday. Am already finding nails in my tyres, so can’t wait for the latter.

Still need to figure out how to protect the rear shock from muck. Am not satisfied with the FZ hugger and the carbon-fibre one is too expensive.
isodope is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 14:34   #2
BHPian

Congratulations!!! On your Mean Green Machine.

Hey Isodope,

Good crisp review you have got there. I'm glad you finally got your ride delivered. Had I not been having the financial constraints with marriage on cards, I certainly would be joining the Ninja brigade.

Now, please pen down some riding experience and how she performs. I am sure you will be done with your engine break in soon. And yes, please make sure you post some pictures at the earliest for us to enjoy the thread. Especially, the frame sliders and the tank pad.

Look forward to joining you on a ride soon.
Old 28th June 2011, 18:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 250R: another ownership review

Congratulations isodope on your Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

That was a short and sweet review. Please upload some pictures of your ride as soon as possible.

Do update the thread with your servicing experience with Bajaj people.

Wishing you happy and safe riding.
Old 28th June 2011, 18:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, very short and sweet review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
1. Turns heads, and everyone wants to touch it. Annoying considering I’m very particular about any vehicles in my care. Sometimes makes me wish I’d got the black. On the positive side, have been complimented. Nearly everyone gets a heart attack when they get to know how much it cost.
I am already cursing myself for picking up Red CBR. Everyone wants to touch and feel the bike and then comes the cost and then mileage. And this happens specially in traffic junction, so now i am avoiding the traffic junction and stand little behind from the crowd.
Old 28th June 2011, 19:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post

I am already cursing myself for picking up Red CBR. Everyone wants to touch and feel the bike and then comes the cost and then mileage. And this happens specially in traffic junction, so now i am avoiding the traffic junction and stand little behind from the crowd.
I completely agree with you on this. Luckily, I have a black CBR 250R which normally goes unnoticed unless someone sees the rear and figures out this is some different breed.

But as far as the questions are concerned, the following two make me laugh :-

1. Kitna deti hai?
2. Not many have asked this but quite a few have :- Kidhar Se Modify Karaya? Or Original Hai Kya?
Old 28th June 2011, 19:29   #6
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Isodope! Crisp review. Don't be surprised by the amount of fuel the showroom folks put in. The max is 1 litre

And this one definitely turns heads. Am never gonna get tired of its elegant and proportionate looks. Hope you have a proper riding gear in place. Wish you many miles of riding pleasure!
Old 29th June 2011, 09:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hey Isodope,

Had I not been having the financial constraints with marriage on cards, I certainly would be joining the Ninja brigade.

Now, please pen down some riding experience and how she performs. I am sure you will be done with your engine break in soon. And yes, please make sure you post some pictures at the earliest for us to enjoy the thread. Especially, the frame sliders and the tank pad.

Look forward to joining you on a ride soon.
I'm sure in a few years you'll join the big-bike brigade anyway - the CBR makes one want for something bigger real soon with its great dynamics!
Riding experience is the same as anyone else: the seat is REALLY hard (especially so for the pillion) but nothing can take away from the special feeling when you start the engine up. It may be only a 250, but the sound is tuned really well to make it feel like a bigger motorcycle, and that is a major plus point for any owner in this country. Lots of aural fury when revved to 13000rpm, but only for those on the bike - bystanders get only a high-pitched mechanical whine, a soft exhaust note and a green blur. Engine break-in is done - the motoman method is quick Will post images of the frame sliders and tank pad as soon as I can get my mitts on an SLR. Couldn't get one for the installation, unfortunately, but the next time the bike is opened will definitely do so.
We shall ride together at some point I'm sure Will PM you my details in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations isodope on your Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

That was a short and sweet review. Please upload some pictures of your ride as soon as possible.

Do update the thread with your servicing experience with Bajaj people.

Wishing you happy and safe riding.
Am uploading one photo at the bottom for now - a friend has promised a proper shoot at some point, so will post those when they're prepared.
Unfortunately you won't get any feedback from me about Bajaj service because I do not intend going back to them for any work whatsoever unless I have no choice, like a fault that needs the scanner for diagnosis. I get worlds better service for cheaper and I learn how to do things myself as well at a friend's workshop. I've got hold of the service manuals, so the only feedback I can probably give you is how effective Bajaj is when ordering parts, given particular part numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post

You're a star! Take the good with the bad, and remember not to get annoyed with people. I gave someone a wiseass reply about my bike, and he turned out to be my mother's colleague's son. :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
I completely agree with you on this. Luckily, I have a black CBR 250R which normally goes unnoticed unless someone sees the rear and figures out this is some different breed.

But as far as the questions are concerned, the following two make me laugh :-

1. Kitna deti hai?
2. Not many have asked this but quite a few have :- Kidhar Se Modify Karaya? Or Original Hai Kya?
There is only one proper reply to kitna deti hai: 160. Then remember to say "kmph". Lol@ modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Congrats Isodope! Crisp review. Don't be surprised by the amount of fuel the showroom folks put in. The max is 1 litre

And this one definitely turns heads. Am never gonna get tired of its elegant and proportionate looks. Hope you have a proper riding gear in place. Wish you many miles of riding pleasure!
Have yet to complete the gear to my satisfaction, but am working on it. Thank you for the wishes!
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Ninja 250R: another ownership review-ninja-delivery.jpg  

isodope is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 09:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!

The review is short and sweet. Looking forward to read the ownership experience.

Hope you are enjoying the attention.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

First off, congrats on the ninja. Wishing you many miles of happy and safe rides.

Quote:
Getting the Ninja was quite an accident - I wanted a CBR250R and sold the Karizma for it.
And i bet you won't regret your decision

Quote:
Nearly everyone gets a heart attack when they get to know how much it cost.
You'll encounter the most unexpected questions and comments from people. So enjoy the humor and smile back.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:52   #10
BHPian

Hey Isodope,

Congrats on the new acquisition. The N250 is the best 250cc bike in the world, nothing comes even close. I used the Motoman method for Breaking in too.

You seem to have picked up the bike from Probiking Vashi, you were hinting about your friends workshop, can you share his coordinates.

Ride Safe and enjoy the baby.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:15   #11
BHPian

Good to finally see the review, perfectly crisp and to the point.

No need to see the pics for me as I have seen it in flesh right since your delivery day and hope to see it till you hold on to it
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:17   #12
BHPian

Clutch yoke cover from the R15 installed to prevent water from going inside the clutch cable cover.

Still have to figure out:

1. How to protect shock linkage.
2. How to protect muffler, the paint has already come off (it's been just two weeks!) where the right heel of my pillions have scuffed it
3. How to protect the shock from muck and dirt.
4. How to protect the radiator from muck and stones - the front mudguard is too short. Muck = less cooling efficiency, stones = bent/broken fins

Registration number has arrived; have temporarily put the sticker-type number. Am ordering embossed plates soon. Will get paint protection film for the rear side panels when I go get the plates. The one on the right especially gets scuffed a lot by pillions getting on and off.

Last edited by isodope : 3rd July 2011 at 11:18.
isodope is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:34   #13
BANNED

Has the price come down by any chance after the Ninja650R release?
Old 4th July 2011, 10:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak View Post
Hey Isodope,

Congrats on the new acquisition. The N250 is the best 250cc bike in the world, nothing comes even close. I used the Motoman method for Breaking in too.

You seem to have picked up the bike from Probiking Vashi, you were hinting about your friends workshop, can you share his coordinates.

Ride Safe and enjoy the baby.
Was wondering if you received the PM I sent you with the information you wanted.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Has the price come down by any chance after the Ninja650R release?

Asked at the showroom yesterday, the price is the same. Upward correction might happen at some point because of the new CKD excise duty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks