Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2018, 18:28   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Hi folks. So I'm thinking of getting myself a pre-worshipped CBR-250r. I'm basically a Honda guy, currently ride a Zma for past 10 years or more. My previous ride was Unicorn back in 2006. There are budget constraints so can't think of a twin for now.

The problem is that my close friend who is a mechanic himself has told me that the 250r is a huge pain to own what with less parts availability and some parts almost impossible to source. The biggest grouse, they're way costlier than other mere mortals. This being in Mumbai. That's sad, but I think parts should not be a problem at the Service centers. What do you, the owners, have to say about this.

I need a faired sports tourer and at my budget the only other option seems to be 220f but I'm not really a fan of Bajaj. Any ideas anyone?
A good choice I agree and you can get a pre-owned CBR for a good price. But I am not too sure about the parts availability? Does he know what parts specifically? Because unless you get into some accident, the machine just keeps on running. Maybe shims and some electronic items but otherwise, not sure what the worry about parts is for. If this was an RE, different story altogether!

But I will wait to see what current owners of this wonderful machine have to say.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 19:43   #617
BHPian

Point 1: Parts availability

Parts are available, especially consumables such as brake pads, chain, etc are ready.
I wanted to replace my rear seat, and it came in a month after placing the order. So rare parts are also available on order.

The dealer in Pune, Pashankar Auto, does take a sincere effort to service and repair the bike. I wish this bike was treated the same as CBR650f and Africa Twin etc but it is lumped along with scooters and commuter bikes.

But normal service is good.
For any complicated stuff, the dealer allows to purchase spares over the counter, so you can ask your private mechanic to work on it.

The bike itself is very simple to maintain and repair.

Point 2: Parts price
Price is very affordable. The clutch lever would be approx 1.5k, same with the brake lever.
Brake pads are also pretty reasonable.
Tyres are available in aftermarket at 10k for the set.

The rear seat is priced at a mere Rs 500 while the front seat is approx 2k.

This is one of the cheapest international spec bikes as far as spare parts price is concerned.

Excellent build quality, heavy duty comfort oriented suspension, and light and maneuverable in traffic, makes this a nice commuter and great tourer.
abeerbagul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 19:46   #618
BHPian

Why not consider a Yamaha FZ25? It seems like the spiritual successor to the Zma. Relatively lower state of tune means a stressfree ultra smooth engine, very good low end for city commutes. It's relatively low priced as well at 1.5 new and you will get preowned for ~1L.

The only downsides I see are the lack of a fairing and a 5 speed gearbox which makes high speed cruising more uncomfortable
Old 21st August 2018, 20:27   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks. So I'm thinking of getting myself a pre-worshipped CBR-250r. I'm basically a Honda guy, currently ride a Zma for past 10 years or more. My previous ride was Unicorn back in 2006. There are budget constraints so can't think of a twin for now.

The problem is that my close friend who is a mechanic himself has told me that the 250r is a huge pain to own what with less parts availability and some parts almost impossible to source. The biggest grouse, they're way costlier than other mere mortals. This being in Mumbai. That's sad, but I think parts should not be a problem at the Service centers. What do you, the owners, have to say about this.

I need a faired sports tourer and at my budget the only other option seems to be 220f but I'm not really a fan of Bajaj. Any ideas anyone?
I own one and I can say with reasonable accuracy that parts availability is usually not an issue. Running spares are readily available and major assemblies or difficult to source bigger parts are available on order in a fair time frame. The parts price is also not astronomical though the prices cannot be compared with that of regular commuters where the sheer numbers and the economies of scale associated with their production bring down their prices.

Here is a long term review of the bike and another good one on maintenance. I hope you are going in for the ABS model, as the non ABS model does not make sense from the point of view of safety. The motorcycle is capable of doing sustained high speeds and its brilliant dual channel ABS is a real life saver in those heart in the mouth situations which are routinely encountered even on divided four lane highways in our country .

So do go ahead with the CBR, it is a no nonsense, reliable sports tourer that will not let you down.

Wishing you all the joys of motorcycling - Happy Riding !

Cheers !

(Articles courtesy www.motoroids.com and www.xbhp.com)
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 22:25   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

After going through the dilemma of "which one" for a year, finally bought a 'pre-worshipped' 2013 CBR 250 ABS 3 months back. Have been having a ball of a time with it, after engaging with a bike after a decade or so.

The bike, though, was in the A$$ for 3 weeks for the want of 1 part called the 'Mechanical Oil Seal' which is not available in almost entire Tamil Nadu state. Seems Honda makes this part available in very limited numbers and Didar Honda has around 22 pieces backlog for this part alone. Got my bike back without having the part and have been promised I'll get the first part they get in the showroom. Am told that there will be some oil spillage which is not a cause for worry during the run time.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:34   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Does he know what parts specifically? Because unless you get into some accident, the machine just keeps on running. Maybe shims and some electronic items but otherwise, not sure what the worry about parts is for. If this was an RE, different story altogether!

But I will wait to see what current owners of this wonderful machine have to say.
Thanx for your reply. He is skeptical about not so frequent but still needed parts like body panels, lock set, brake pads, levers, and the likes. Also says some normal service parts like brake pads are costly. But I guess brake pads for the 250r are about 1800 bucks. I use 1200 rupee oem ones for my Zma so I can live with that much difference. Considering what the bike offers you back, I think it's perfectly worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Point 1: Parts availability

Parts are available, especially consumables such as brake pads, chain, etc are ready.
I wanted to replace my rear seat, and it came in a month after placing the order. So rare parts are also available on order.

The dealer in Pune, Pashankar Auto, does take a sincere effort to service and repair the bike. I wish this bike was treated the same as CBR650f and Africa Twin etc but it is lumped along with scooters and commuter bikes.

But normal service is good.
For any complicated stuff, the dealer allows to purchase spares over the counter, so you can ask your private mechanic to work on it.

The bike itself is very simple to maintain and repair.

Point 2: Parts price
Price is very affordable. The clutch lever would be approx 1.5k, same with the brake lever.
Brake pads are also pretty reasonable.
Tyres are available in aftermarket at 10k for the set.

The rear seat is priced at a mere Rs 500 while the front seat is approx 2k.

This is one of the cheapest international spec bikes as far as spare parts price is concerned.

Excellent build quality, heavy duty comfort oriented suspension, and light and maneuverable in traffic, makes this a nice commuter and great tourer.
Thank you for the reassuring words. I too think on the same lines as you and you have cemented my beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Why not consider a Yamaha FZ25? It seems like the spiritual successor to the Zma.

The only downsides I see are the lack of a fairing and a 5 speed gearbox which makes high speed cruising more uncomfortable
You named it yourself. I can't comprehend living without a faired ride. My normal average riding speed is north of 100(except for in traffic and busy streets, of course) so I'm used to that wind protection and also duck behind it frequently especially on highways for better speed and mileage is also positively effected at my speed. So fairing is a main criteria for my choice. Otherwise I would have had many more choices.

That said, your words on the Fz25 are true. There's a faired option too but whenever I lay my eyes on one, which is rare, I get nightmares for days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
I own one and I can say with reasonable accuracy that parts availability is usually not an issue. Running spares are readily available and major assemblies or difficult to source bigger parts are available on order in a fair time frame. The parts price is also not astronomical though the prices cannot be compared with that of regular commuters where the sheer numbers and the economies of scale associated with their production bring down their prices.

Here is a long term review of the bike and another good one on maintenance. I hope you are going in for the ABS model, as the non ABS model does not make sense from the point of view of safety. The motorcycle is capable of doing sustained high speeds and its brilliant dual channel ABS is a real life saver in those heart in the mouth situations which are routinely encountered even on divided four lane highways in our country .

So do go ahead with the CBR, it is a no nonsense, reliable sports tourer that will not let you down.

Wishing you all the joys of motorcycling - Happy Riding !

Cheers !

(Articles courtesy www.motoroids.com and www.xbhp.com)

Thank you for your reassuring words 'ironhide'. I think similarly and you have bolstered my views on the baby Honda too. Hope to join in soon with my reviews too on this thread :thumbup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
After going through the dilemma of "which one" for a year, finally bought a 'pre-worshipped' 2013 CBR 250 ABS 3 months back. Have been having a ball of a time with it, after engaging with a bike after a decade or so.

The bike, though, was in the A$$ for 3 weeks for the want of 1 part called the 'Mechanical Oil Seal' which is not available in almost entire Tamil Nadu state. Seems Honda makes this part available in very limited numbers and Didar Honda has around 22 pieces backlog for this part alone. Got my bike back without having the part and have been promised I'll get the first part they get in the showroom. Am told that there will be some oil spillage which is not a cause for worry during the run time.
Yes, certain glitches like these are kind of putting of but I guess that can happen with all bikes. I'll look out for the 'machanical oil seal' thingy on the rides which I checkout too. What is its function is kinda sketchy though, so would have to check on that to know how to pinpoint a malfunction on it. Thanks a ton!
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 20:11   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems the new LED lamps in the BS IV version is a straight fit into the older models. Costs 8K as told to me. In case anyone wants to swap, please do check with your centre.

Quote:
...I'll look out for the 'machanical oil seal' thingy on the rides which I checkout too. What is its function is kinda sketchy though, so would have to check on that to know how to pinpoint a malfunction on it. Thanks a ton!
I believe it prevents the mix of coolant with oil or so. The other bit I hear is this is present in the clutch case - don't have much details of the part though.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 00:55   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Seems the new LED lamps in the BS IV version is a straight fit into the older models. Costs 8K as told to me. In case anyone wants to swap, please do check with your centre.
This is great news. I may just go ahead and get it installed if the local service center does it. Will breathe some new life into the bike.
Old 25th August 2018, 02:40   #624
BHPian

Quote:
That would be great to release new light, literally, into the lives of owners who have had the bike for some time now. 8k is definitely too steep though. Maybe it's because it's new in the market now. It doesn't even have a ballast and kit like that to cost so much.

There is a post somewhere of a fellow bhpian or a YouTube poster who has made the switch. Don't remember where. But I remember him saying that you have to fiddle with the wiring because the new bike is BS-lV and it has low beam at 'ON' always, so it only maybe having a switch to toggle or turn on to High Beam. So that part is different too. Hope they have a "retro-fit" kit available at Honda.

Quote:
I believe it prevents the mix of coolant with oil or so. The other bit I hear is this is present in the clutch case - don't have much details of the part though.
I have managed to get a video of the "mechanical oil seal" replacement.

It seems to be an oil seal to prevent oil from entering the coolant, or vice versa. Don't know which will enter which depending on the pressures involved vis-a-vis oil and coolant. It looks like the impeller of the water pump is bathed in the oil for lubrication but the seal is needed for preventing the mixture of coolant and oil. What are the symptoms of a failure? Should be blackened coolant or frothy oil....
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 20:51   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If I reckon you've posted a similar query in another forum as well, I've replied to your query there as well. But, a mechanical seal is something like blood/brain barrier, it separates the coolant from the oil.

Usually, there is a small weep hole present below the oil filter cover which is there to let know what's happening inside if we have a leak from this hole.

I've attached a picture herewith. Here, read what's mentioned below Mechanical Seal Inspection under the water pump header.

Honda CBR 250R Review-03.png

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 15:28   #626
BHPian

First of all I should praise you for identifying for such an issue and informing the OEM as no one would have tested the condition of engine at speeds of 120+ kmph as it would not be the normal running condition.. In fact OEM should have rewarded you with something BIG for bringing the issue to their notice. In fact this should have been the exercise done them.
By the way I don't think OEMs will be informing us the mistakes that they made during the manufacturing of the engine as it might lead of call back of vehicles if its major defect existing in all engines. Just my opinion though. However, thank you for bringing this to our forum so that at least few will be careful and test their engines.
Old 29th August 2018, 04:07   #627
BHPian

OK, anybody came across a good App to order bike spares online? Like the 4-wheeler Boodmo, for example? Especially for bikes like the cbr since spares seem to be a problem often. Also a price list would be great. Anyone?
Old 27th October 2018, 03:49   #628
BHPian

Has anyone put on a race chip like Race Dynamics on a cbr and if yes, what's the result? Improving low end would be a boon. But reliability and longevity is an important must.
Old 27th October 2018, 14:39   #629
BANNED

Quote:
Has anyone put on a race chip like Race Dynamics on a cbr and if yes, what's the result? Improving low end would be a boon. But reliability and longevity is an important must.
Now this might sound irrelevant, but if you're considering performance modification then India is just not the right market for the job.

Sorry for the overbearing post, just trying to save you some moolah at the hands of over-enthusiastic tuners.
Old 27th October 2018, 18:04   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Now this might sound irrelevant, but if you're considering performance modification then India is just not the right market for the job.

Sorry for the overbearing post, just trying to save you some moolah at the hands of over-enthusiastic tuners.
I understand. I'm in the process of procuring a pre-worshipped specimen as it fits in my budget as of now. So wanted to know if some clean punchy "race box" formula could brighten up things a bit. Saw a guy get one for his YZF-R so thought it would be a good idea if it could work on a baby Honda too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks