Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Need your thoughts in buying royal enfield - used bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
meanwhile got a offer for 350 cc, 1987 model with complete chrome and service done for 50000 RS. what do you think of this deal.
Prices of used cars & bikes are always high in Bangalore. If you have friends / family in nearby towns it will help. From your posts, it seems 350 is better suited for you.
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:48   #17
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Royal Enfield?

Owning an Enfield Bullet was one of my childhood dreams. I am a big fan of the low frequency thump and when I was buying my bullet, I was sure that I want one with CI engine. And that time (in 2008), Electra 4s was the one with old world charm as well as some of the modern features. I had a few problems with and I don't use it regularly; but I don't regret buying it. Somehow, when I look at the newer bullets with LHS gear and RHS break, I feel they are not real bullets! no offense meant towards owners of the new generation of bullets, but thats how I feel.
Old 25th July 2011, 13:19   #18
BHPian

Hi All,

after serious thoughts and considering everyones suggestion i'm shredding the buying plans of used bullet. If i really want to spend 70 to 90k for used bullet i can very well stretch another 70 and go for new classic 500.
Another thought not to buy a used bullet is condition of the bike with previous ownership. Its not that they dont maintain it well but getting one used bike with excellent condition is just matter of luck.

this is first time i feel waiting period is working in my favors to collect another 70k cash and going for newer bike, newer technology and support.

hence planning to book my bike in the month of september.
Old 25th July 2011, 13:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not that they dont maintain it well but getting one used bike with excellent condition is just matter of luck.
If there is no crack in the crank case, all bullets are easy to get to great condition. In fact an oil service is what it would need.

If you can get an used 350 for say 25-30K its worth spending an additional 30-40K to make it just new. Also the Cyl/piston set costs around 5K for the 350 and you already have a new heart

If you decide to wait, wait for few more weeks till we see any new announcement on the impending new models. Heard there are new models on 500 on the way. But its just a rumour at this point.
Old 25th July 2011, 14:06   #20
BHPian

I had bought the RE Thunderbird in Apr 2007. On 15th Apr 2007 i rode my friends Machismo 500 and I was blown away. I tried doing several mods besides reboring like automech exhausts, pipercross airfilters, mikuni carb, iridium spark plugs etc, but was never satisfied compared to the 500 feeling. So i parted with the thunderbird in 9 months and welcomed the 500 in my life.

Its been a great ride since then. No matter what, the 350 does not bring the same smile the 500 does till date. My 500 is in complete stock condition cause i never felt the need for any mods on it.

Well the AVL engines have been here for a good number of years, I guess way before 2003 untill 2010. A good amount of bikes have been sold during this duration. Besides there are several after market manufacturers producing spares and since the RE spares are almost of the same quality, there is not much difference. Though I still prefer the original spares.

The Cast Iron engine has been ruled out too, but hey the spares are still available and no ones complaining. You are considering buying a 1987 RE over a 2009 one and dont seem to be bothered bout its spares or reliability, just a thought!

The AVL engines were meant to be more reliable than the CI engines. Hence availability of critical spare parts should not be much of your botheration since they are less likely to malfunction in the first place. Other routine spares like sprocket/clutch plates/cables etc etc are easily available and seem to be present in the near future too. So availability of spare parts should not be your primary deciding factor, though I do agree it is a major component specially with the RE, but its not the sole deciding factor.

Well my suggestion:
1) If you can wait, go for the Classic 500
2) Test Ride both, the Machismo 500 and the new 350cc engines and decide what suits you best.
3) The machismo at 80000 is a steal!

I have offers of 90,000 for my 2009 Machismo which has done over 60,000 kms, just to give you an idea.

The long waiting period of the classic 500 has also contributed to the sudden increase in the prices of other 500cc bullets.

All the new 350 RE bikes today have the same engine, so end of it all it all boils down to which looks suit your taste more.

The new 500's which people say, still seem to be light years away, thanks to the step daughter treatment RE gives to its Indian Customers.

Whatever decision you make, remember "its not the caliber of the piston, but that of the rider which matters"

Last edited by Bhushanrulz : 25th July 2011 at 14:10.
Old 25th July 2011, 14:48   #21
BHPian

hey bhushan,

nice explanation there. i have ridden machismo 500 when i had thunderbird. i was blown away by the 500 block. now that i have parted my way with thunderbird, i was in look out for machismo 500.

Parts availability was not in my list to chuck the deal. i had visited the owner of machismo regarding which i started this thread in first place. i liked the bike. it looks like new. short ride also confirmed that bike is in great shape. but owner not ready to reduce less than 1.1 lk. Another bike which i had mentioned 87 model std, i got to know from his another friend that bike is giving lot of trouble it seems. thats the reason owner has decided to sell. so i decided against it.

i could have searched for 350 but after using thunderbird for more than a yr now i dont want to ride the same engine block. its like tasting different dishes.

However if i need to pay 1.1 lk from used machismo, why not compromise on another 50k more and waiting period to get myself a new vehicle. this was my thought.

Anyway after discussing my idea about the same with my better half! voila no looking back.

planning to book new c500 green or maroon in the month of September. waiting period of 8 months will help me collect that difference amount. and i have 500 power with modern technology.

Another reason to chuck the second hand bike deal is, my family not happy with second hand. i had very bad experience with zen i had bought in the year 2008. hence my family is like wait for 8 months, you have good time to arrange money, finish commitments if any cropping up immediately and buy a new one.

@ VW. I know bro. but the main concern here is where will u get the bike for 25k. spending another 40k is different story. RE 350 STD is trading at 50k onwards in bangalore. mad rush. dont know why.

hence decided anything above 80k for used bike i'm buying a new one.

Last edited by Endofdayz : 25th July 2011 at 14:52.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:20   #22
BHPian

@ endofdayz : The Royal Enfield bikes were very popular among everyone these days.But there is a lot of differences between the newer ones and old ones (1960-1975)..
The engine sound differs a lot in the new ones.Even i has a thought of going for a new one.For me the engine sound need to be in perfection mode for the bullet.Finally i got an old 63 model Bullet....

In my native (Coimbatore)good condition old model bullet selling from 60000 to 75000...

When the year increases,the rate is getting decreased...Am not sure hows the rate in Bangalore.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:38   #23
BHPian

@Mahesh.

its true with other states. i really dont understand why in bangalore right from road tax till second hand prices are very high.

I know i have to compromise on thump but it doesnt mean i have to pay a lakh rupee for that. i can very well stretch my budget and move with modern technology.

As far as the time goes. i'm not in a position to give a lakh rupee for vintage. hence decided against the second hand bikes as their cost is sky high.

Another reason is its hard to convince the family. paying 1.1 lakh for 2008 and 2009 model.

hence decided to buy a new bike. this will be my daily commuter + some highway travel. hence planning to buy 500.
Old 26th July 2011, 18:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hence decided to buy a new bike. this will be my daily commuter + some highway travel. hence planning to buy 500
you will not regret this. The 500 is definitely more torque'y. If what your saying is true, i may be able to get more than what i paid to pick my 500. Yes i announce that i got my 500 new from showroom in early 2000 for around 69 on road
Old 26th July 2011, 18:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,

Due to personal commitments i had to sell my TBTS 2 months back. Now i'm in a thought of buying second hand bullet. while searching the classifieds outside i came across Machismo 500 which is 2009 registered. Owner has travelled to US and since then bike is lying without usage.

My question is :

1. bike has run only 70 KMs as per owner and standing idle since 2 yrs. what are risks buying such royal enfield which is standing idle since 2 yrs.
2. He claims if the battery has to be changed and general service to be done and bike is as good as new.
3. Its bangalore registered. I'm yet to check the bike. What all points to be kept in mind.
4. Is 1.15 lakhs a good amount for this bike in bangalore.
5. What are the difficulties procuring spare parts for Machismo 500 in future may be after 3 to 4 yrs. will it be difficult or will it be available same as other royal enfields as i wish to keep this bike for long long time.

Please help me decide on this.

MODs: did not find any appropriate threads regarding the query. hence creating a new thread.
That depends on how the bike was stored for long 2 years. First of all, before a long storage, the cylinder block needs to be sprinkled with oil and piston to be moved to and fro using kick lever, battery needs to be removed. Find out what precautions were taken before keeping the bike idle for a long time.

If you are buying it, then you need to flush the gearbox with new oil, new oil filter etc. Check all the wiring lomb and individual wires if the outer polymer is OK or has become soft. If feels soft or liquidy, you might need to change the wiring lomb for your and bike's safety.

Initially, long stored bikes will have a low cylinder pressure due to storage protocols or precautions taken, but nothing to worry this will be regained once you run it.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 26th July 2011 at 18:20.
yogeshnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 18:22   #26
BHPian

@Vw2010,

people dont remember @ what price they bought when the market is demanding and they ready to ask twice the price of the bike.
i still remember when RX135 was in demand and production had stopped, owner's asking rates at least here in bangalore was 50k which was new bike cost. forget about its 10 yrs old.

due to this waiting period for classic's in another ad i have seen classic 350 second hand 7 months old bike asking price as 1.45 lakh.

no matter what, when demand is more than supply, this is very evident. everyone wants to cash the situation.

hence put a wise thought, time and little more money will have new enfield.

@yogesh.

this can be valid points for the people buying second hand enfields. However after seeing the bike and asking rate, i have decided against it. the bike looked new, also engine was in good condition but felt not worth 1.10 lakh whatever quoted. owner was not ready for negotiation.

during my search i had another option where the bike is run 8700kms, first owner, recently serviced. when i said to owner price seem to be little high, i need to negotiate. owner said dont buy my bike straight on my face.

Last edited by Endofdayz : 26th July 2011 at 18:27.
Old 26th July 2011, 18:28   #27
BHPian

What I found in new Royal Enfield's with all alluminium engines is slight difference in thump. Old cast iron engine bullets have a solid thump a specific fine signature sound coming out of the exaust.

The exaust note is the property of the valves and the silencer pipes just provide resonance to it. Is it like the new bikes have little different engine heads?
Old 26th July 2011, 19:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
What I found in new Royal Enfield's with all alluminium engines is slight difference in thump. Old cast iron engine bullets have a solid thump a specific fine signature sound coming out of the exaust.

The exaust note is the property of the valves and the silencer pipes just provide resonance to it. Is it like the new bikes have little different engine heads?
yes the UCE bull have the all new engine which only shares the cubic capacity with old engines.

which means the timings are different, the air-fuel mixture is different, gearing is different.
simply think of a 350cc herohonda.

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 20:00   #29
BHPian

It looks like the Royal Enfield engineers have done changes . The Royal Enfield is recognised on the sound note basis first. Due to lots of changes in this new machine made me chose Karizma. This is one of the reasons why I did not go for new Electra. But the liking towards the Bullet is still present

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 26th July 2011 at 20:01.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
simply think of a 350cc herohonda
True but there is a huge difference in power delivery between the new age aluminium ones and the old age cast iron ones.

The newer engines have far better acceleration and the overall QC is definitely improved.

Many call harleys noisy bikes while they prefer the Hondas and Kawasaki. In fact i rode a Valkyrie while i was in the states. It has so much power even at 90MPH that you knew you were riding a beast. The difference was the lack of vibration at that speed or that nasty sound of a harley. No offence to Harley but its just a signature of each bike.

I guess RE wants to be more main stream than a showoff kind of bike. The more simpler, efficient and powerful they make the RE the more people may begin to buy instead of the few ones who bought it during the cast iron period.

I would even want to see a shaft drive enabled RE in the future eliminating chains

I want to own one of the new age ones. But i grew up with a 500 cast iron. And I just want to add the 1960's and 1970's to my garage.

If you are trying a bullet for the first time, i would say the new age ones are far better than the old CI ones

Last edited by VW2010 : 26th July 2011 at 20:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks