Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Royal Enfield?

Hi All,

Due to personal commitments i had to sell my TBTS 2 months back. Now i'm in a thought of buying second hand bullet. while searching the classifieds outside i came across Machismo 500 which is 2009 registered. Owner has travelled to US and since then bike is lying without usage.

My question is :

1. bike has run only 70 KMs as per owner and standing idle since 2 yrs. what are risks buying such royal enfield which is standing idle since 2 yrs.
2. He claims if the battery has to be changed and general service to be done and bike is as good as new.
3. Its bangalore registered. I'm yet to check the bike. What all points to be kept in mind.
4. Is 1.15 lakhs a good amount for this bike in bangalore.
5. What are the difficulties procuring spare parts for Machismo 500 in future may be after 3 to 4 yrs. will it be difficult or will it be available same as other royal enfields as i wish to keep this bike for long long time.

Please help me decide on this.

MODs: did not find any appropriate threads regarding the query. hence creating a new thread.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Need your thoughts in buying royal enfield - used bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,

Due to personal commitments i had to sell my TBTS 2 months back. Now i'm in a thought of buying second hand bullet. while searching the classifieds outside i came across Machismo 500 which is 2009 registered. Owner has travelled to US and since then bike is lying without usage.

My question is :

1. bike has run only 70 KMs as per owner and standing idle since 2 yrs. what are risks buying such royal enfield which is standing idle since 2 yrs.
2. He claims if the battery has to be changed and general service to be done and bike is as good as new.
3. Its bangalore registered. I'm yet to check the bike. What all points to be kept in mind.
4. Is 1.15 lakhs a good amount for this bike in bangalore.
5. What are the difficulties procuring spare parts for Machismo 500 in future may be after 3 to 4 yrs. will it be difficult or will it be available same as other royal enfields as i wish to keep this bike for long long time.

Please help me decide on this.

MODs: did not find any appropriate threads regarding the query. hence creating a new thread.

Don't you think that 1.15L is a little too much? You can as well put a little more and buy either the Electra 500 or STD 500 (both on its way). This is what I think.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:50   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the reply @Tejas,

After reading so many stories about 500 with Efi i feel it needs some more time to stabilize in the market. but if its 90k will this bike be a good buy.

On top of it will i face any problems in future regarding spares availability. If owner do not negotiate, obviously cost is on higher side and i might decide against it.

Also what will be ideal cost for this bike.
Old 20th July 2011, 11:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply @Tejas,

After reading so many stories about 500 with Efi i feel it needs some more time to stabilize in the market. but if its 90k will this bike be a good buy.

On top of it will i face any problems in future regarding spares availability. If owner do not negotiate, obviously cost is on higher side and i might decide against it.

Also what will be ideal cost for this bike.
Hi Endofdayz,
I think you should go for brand new bike may be Electra 500. you know every rubber part has it's own life, whether bike is used or not they would deteriorate.
In new bike you would get everything new + Warranty and peace of mind.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 20th July 2011, 11:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Endofdayz,
I think you should go for brand new bike may be Electra 500. you know every rubber part has it's own life, whether bike is used or not they would deteriorate.
In new bike you would get everything new + Warranty and peace of mind.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Thanks shubhendra,
I rode my friends machismo 500 few months back. I was blown away by the power it delivered in highway.

Regarding Electra 500, what do you think will be cost approx. if it comes in price of 1.3 to 1.4 in bangalore then classic 500 will be better buy spending another 20k.

Apart from that if i go ahead with the deal for Machismo 500 will the parts availability is at risk. i have no knowledge about 500 as i had owned only modern 350 cc engine. So can please share the input. thanks.

EDIT: spoke to the owner few minutes back. its not run 17 kms. it has run 17000 KMs.
Old 20th July 2011, 11:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks shubhendra,
I rode my friends machismo 500 few months back. I was blown away by the power it delivered in highway.

Regarding Electra 500, what do you think will be cost approx. if it comes in price of 1.3 to 1.4 in bangalore then classic 500 will be better buy spending another 20k.

Apart from that if i go ahead with the deal for Machismo 500 will the parts availability is at risk. i have no knowledge about 500 as i had owned only modern 350 cc engine. So can please share the input. thanks.

EDIT: spoke to the owner few minutes back. its not run 17 kms. it has run 17000 KMs.
Parts for Machismo 500 may not be a problem now......but in future it may become scarce. as quantity of UCE 500 bullets are less.
But if you can wait for few months, then why not CL 500?
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 12:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know and a mechanic friend tells me, the parts for AVL engines are very less and with RE not being supportive, it might become hard to procure parts down the line. If you really want to buy an RE, buy one of the newer ones. Don't take heed of chest-thumping bulleteers who will tell you loads of stuff about the RE. Trust me, I was nearly one!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 12:43   #8
BHPian

Thanks all for the reply.

Right from the beginning i had doubt in my mind regarding the spares availability reading somewhere in the forum. This clarifies my doubt.

Being high road tax in karnataka, i'm might postpone my decision to buy new one for few months. but i'm kind of convinced not buying 500 AVL. let me check out the bike in person on weekend and give a collective thought.

Meanwhile do anyone know what might be the cost of std 500 or electra 500 approx and when is it getting launched.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:31   #9
BHPian

I don't think sourcing spare parts for the RE Machismo will be a problem with its present trend.
But it is definitely too expensive for a secondhand bike even if it has no kilometer on the odo.
Go check the bike in person.
Look for the papers, try to source its service history.
I wouldn't advice you to take the bike for a ride without servicing it, if you are planning to own it.
Look harder you might find better deals.

Last edited by Visaster : 20th July 2011 at 14:32. Reason: Model change
Old 20th July 2011, 15:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

While there could be an element of truth, I doubt a bike would be idle for 2 years and have a genuine 70 kms on the odo. Also, the quoted price is impractical.

1. If you're able to spend those levels, and
2. For reliability

I would suggest a brand new RE.

That said, do take an experienced Bullet mechanic to validate the bike's condition, if going down this route.

Last edited by theMAG : 20th July 2011 at 15:18.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:25   #11
BHPian

thanks for the reply mag.

the bike has run 17000 KMs. it was misquoted. yes the price is very high. If spare parts were not an issue then i would thought of buying it. my price quoted is 80 to 85k. owner has requested to come and have look. but i will not barge in for something more than that. if bikes condition is excellent then i might give it a thought of buying it. otherwise will look at 350 CC.

meanwhile got a offer for 350 cc, 1987 model with complete chrome and service done for 50000 RS. what do you think of this deal.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

The price is very high. I just picked up a 1972 350 for 22K. Has new tires, great engine and single owner. My friends father. Its in A1 condition. I am just adding it to my garage along with my 500.

For the asking price go get yourself the new age 500 spending more. You may not regret it. But searching for replacement parts of these old bikes are very difficult

Standard 500 bore/piston is very limited in supply. I have stocked a couple of them for myself. I got it for 4k and now i heard its selling for 8K. I may even add one and rip the current one as much as possible . So please plan before jumping in on the model

Std 350 is easier while searching for spares and availability is fairly good.
Old 20th July 2011, 16:52   #13
BHPian

wow vw2010,

So if we buy 500 then its not only ubying the bike but also buying the parts and keeping it. I think this purchase is not worth the risk. will check out the bike on saturday. let me see how it goes.

on lighter note do have any other contacts like one u bought for me. in bangalore to say the least the asking price is nothing more than a lakh. no matter its 500 or 350. no matter spares will be available or not.
Old 20th July 2011, 16:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The price is very high. I just picked up a 1972 350 for 22K. Has new tires, great engine and single owner. My friends father. Its in A1 condition.
Std 350 is easier while searching for spares and availability is fairly good.
End of Dayz : The asking price is too high. 3 months back my brother in law picked up a 6K done Machismo 500 for 60K. Fair price considering that the 500's didnt do too well in Gujarat.

Sorry from going offtopic from the OP's query..

VW2010 : WOW that's a great deal you picked up on the 350. Care to share a few pics? you can mail them on jayjadeja at gmail dot com. I have just come into a 1971 350 myself (though on a temporary basis) and plan to restore her and if your bike is A1 as you mention, it could help my purpose.
Old 20th July 2011, 16:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW2010 : WOW that's a great deal you picked up on the 350. Care to share a few pics? you can mail them on jayjadeja at gmail dot com. I have just come into a 1971 350 myself (though on a temporary basis) and plan to restore her and if your bike is A1 as you mention, it could help my purpose
Actually i am yet to get it off my friends father's garage. He said the bike was for sale. I just paid 20K and told i am taking it. Its either 1972 or 1975. But i check, rode it and found nothing alarming except the usual oil leaks. Paint looks good and the tyres are newly replaced. So no real worry for me at this moment.

I am taking the bike this weekend and planning to spend a day in the workshop to fix all niggles and an oil service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks