Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 11:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet

Quote:
the whitewall tyres are actually normal MRF's with little DIY paint job.
which costed rs 30/-.
Same here. Couldnt find a white tire like the ones in the softtail. So had to paint it myself.

Have a friend who paints and he told me that he would help me with White borders on the Mud guards to add to the white tyre.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Congratz on the but and happy to see the restoration. If you are planning for standard looks, please change the mud guards - the classic and Electra have different designs and I personally like the square one of standard than the round profile of Electra.

As many have suggested, I too would suggest you to hunt for a classic tank - you should be able to get a good condition one from the second hand markets. Please do not change to gas filled shock absorbers - I have personally never felt much improvement after changing to gas filled shocks and I prefer the look of standard shock absorbers.
Boss, the fella has already done the mos for the tank monogrammes , the fixing is OK. but not like factory fixed ones.
Shocks are in good condition ,no need to spend money on them.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Excellent buy Veerji. Congratulations. This bike looks in great nick and im sure was very well cared for.

I have been looking for a RE myself and though that the older ones would be cheaper but i was quite shocked to hear the prices. Especially their range from 55k-100k so im still confused as to what is the correct market value of the older (60-late 70s)REs would be. frankly i dont even mind a newer one if its cheap. If i can pick a Military disposal one which is working, ill go for it and restore it. If you dont mind, can you tell us how much you paid for the bike? Thanks

Amazing looking bike Jeepster. I just love the whitewalls. Are these Indian and are they available? if yes for how much, if you dont mind.
Sir ji, dont ever think of military disposal bikes,even punjab regd bikes you end up paying thousands of Rs. for Taxes, Entry Tax,Octroi,Re regd.etc for registeration in mumbai.etc etc there is no end .
Old 28th July 2011, 21:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dear freinds just a update on the bike work in progress. Photos will tell the most needed parts purchased by me till date.
The petrol tank being worked upon for the monogrammes at the work shop and then my painter trying to fix it before giving it away for the painting.
Rest of the parts are ready to be painted , he says he will give me painted parts on sunday so that Gold stickers, gold lining jobs can be done and again it will be with the painter for final Lacqure coat on the entire bike.
Tomorrow I will post my earlier Bull restored 3 yrs back.Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-rpr.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-apapa.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-wowow.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 28th July 2011 at 21:34.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 08:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello Mr. Veerji,

Good to see finally Jaspal has himself a new baby to look after.

The water stickers you are talking about, can you please upload a picture of same? It would be very helpful.

If you are planning to get the bike painted, I would recommend you have the stickers applied before you get the final clear coat on the bike that would ensure longer life of the stickers.

Also, as suggested by Jeepster the TCi system any better than the CB point systems which would require lot of care. Especially during monsoons the TCi would ensure trouble free starts.

As far as the Std fuel tank look is concerned, you can take a look at CST road for a tank in good condition and I am sure you will be able to lay your hands on a decent one which will serve the purpose. Still better, if you have extra cash please go in for a new tank but if you are not giving the entire bike a new look it may end up looking out of place.

All the best with you restoration, I am very happy that you finally got what you have been so long craving for - "A Bull Thumping in your Yard".
Dear Gaurav and all other TBhpians, I just located photo of my earlier Bull which was restored by me and my freind Mr.Prem at his w/shop in Andheri three yrs back.
It was sold to Gaurav,aka Mantrig another T Bhpian..
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-rrrr.jpg  

Old 29th July 2011, 14:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

which costed rs 30/-.
Ure kidding Nikhil, right??!! Man thats an awesome job. You will have to guide me on how to do this. Ill start with the tyres on my Norton. Tell me, wont the paint crack eventually or get worn out by a few washes? Im told Chinese, white wall tyres are available. Just dont know from where.

Quote:
BTW there was a army auctioned bullet 1972 (AFAIK) in pune .

if you want i can give you the details
Please do. Id love to. Ill await your PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Same here. Couldnt find a white tire like the ones in the softtail. So had to paint it myself.

Have a friend who paints and he told me that he would help me with White borders on the Mud guards to add to the white tyre.
Please let us know in detail how the job is done with so much perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Dear Gaurav and all other TBhpians, I just located photo of my earlier Bull which was restored by me and my freind Mr.Prem at his w/shop in Andheri three yrs back.
Love the bike but somehow without spokes, the RE does not look its original self. If i bought a Re, id make sure i have spokes on it only, wont mind a disc brake conversion but spokes it has to be.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 16:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
And then I changed the seat to make it a more comfortable and other some minor changes needed.

But yes, the bike was kept in a pristine mechanical & cosmetic condition by Mr. Veerji.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-dsc00640.jpg  

mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 19:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Ure kidding Nikhil, right??!! Man thats an awesome job. You will have to guide me on how to do this. Ill start with the tyres on my Norton. Tell me, wont the paint crack eventually or get worn out by a few washes? Im told Chinese, white wall tyres are available. Just dont know from where.

Please do. Id love to. Ill await your PM

Please let us know in detail how the job is done with so much perfection.

Love the bike but somehow without spokes, the RE does not look its original self. If i bought a Re, id make sure i have spokes on it only, wont mind a disc brake conversion but spokes it has to be.
Gogi Bhraji, The culprit in Alloys matter is my son who took this matter in his hands and got the alloys in my absence.
He was watching too many posts,threads of RE owners of Punjab, where it seems that Alloys are compusary.
Disc was not needed as I had 500 cc front drums which came along with unrestored bike. It took us both father son team about two months to bring out this result.It was done at my pal at versova ,Mr. Prem who is a basically Bulletier and goes for rides .Some of his rides you will find in R.E. site
Old 29th July 2011, 20:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello Mr. Veerji,

Good to see finally Jaspal has himself a new baby to look after.

The water stickers you are talking about, can you please upload a picture of same? It would be very helpful.

If you are planning to get the bike painted, I would recommend you have the stickers applied before you get the final clear coat on the bike that would ensure longer life of the stickers.

Also, as suggested by Jeepster the TCi system any better than the CB point systems which would require lot of care. Especially during monsoons the TCi would ensure trouble free starts.

As far as the Std fuel tank look is concerned, you can take a look at CST road for a tank in good condition and I am sure you will be able to lay your hands on a decent one which will serve the purpose. Still better, if you have extra cash please go in for a new tank but if you are not giving the entire bike a new look it may end up looking out of place.

All the best with you restoration, I am very happy that you finally got what you have been so long craving for - "A Bull Thumping in your Yard".
Gaurav, I am posting the photo of the water stickers.
Now fixing method I had been asking every one but non replied even guys who got them fixed.
I just saw in the set some duplicate peices ,I just tried it out in my office itself on a duco painted furniture and result was superb. I have got hang of it now. No problem , let the bike come back I shall do it myself, after which the painter will give a laqure coat all over the bike giving a coat of lamination type of coat which will protect them. cost of the stickers 75/-only.Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-sticker.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2011, 23:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys I am back, my long absence was due to bike was with the painter, I am correcting his name, he is Mr.Rashid Bhai.
Now when Rashid bhai started his work the weather of mumbai was not co-operating and he was not able to do anything on the bike.
Even then he applied putty, aka lambi and kept the items in his hot steel case for drying.
When the weather cleared he took advantage and sprayed the paint on the items ready for the treatment.

In the meanwhile I took time off and went to a guy called Sandip near versova police station and got my long awaited golden water stickers as well as golden lining on the petrol tank and tool boxes,mud guard etc he also worked on the number plates.
These water stickers were first experience for Sandip,so he tried out one sticker on a scrap plate of his own and then worked on my items ready for the sticker job.
Now when he completd his job he sent all the items back to Rashid bhai for the final laqure or lamination work to give that sparcle of his hard work.Rashid bhai sprayed the laqure on the number plates too.He has painted rear shocks,both levers,rear brake rod too.

I got all the parts duly wrapped up in newspaper and asked Barkat bhai to ask for them one by one when installation is carried out.I shall keep all of them in my ALTO K10.Kindly see for your self the finishing , still some final polishing is to be done.

I was checking out the wheel bearings , when the spoke fixing guy asked me to get wheel bearings changed which was done.

Now from tomorrow I am expecting the assembling to begin, but due to Ramzan Barkat bhai is also not able to give much time to my bike. I have told him to relax and do the assembling in peaceful manner.
I have sprayed WD40 to all electrical switches, terminals,bulb holders,sockets,contactc.etc.

Battery will be charged again tomorrow or dayafter tomorrow.
All lights glasses are original, and some are slightly faded I shall not change them but refix them to give impression of originalty.
About head light rim Barkat says not to replace it and let the small damaged portion be painted with thin brush,.as new rim will be rust very fast.
More when he starts the assembling. Regards......
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-painter.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0051-copy.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0054-copy.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0055.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0058.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0060.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-rashid.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-gad.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2011, 23:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes ji, prices asked for are not at all correct and they are very steep.
In 1982 I was getting a Bull in good condition for 8000/- .
Veer Jee you talking about 1982 i got an ok running bullet for 10000 in 2007 and in 2009 got another on for 12000 which is apparently a 1965 model

And sir jee why TAPE on the tank why not hand painted?

Last edited by desideep : 3rd August 2011 at 23:48.
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys some of the photos were not at all uploading due to my mistake of not resizing them and later on resized . This completes the as of today part of the restoration . The reflctor you see below the number plate is got from a cycle shop and the cost is 10/-.Regards.Rabb Rakhaa.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-epepepep.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-gasss.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-hophop.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-no.plate.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-p.tank.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-ppptank.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-tptptppt.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 3rd August 2011 at 23:43.
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
there was a auction in mumbai with around 60+ bullets ranging from 1995 to 2003.

they went at a price of 45K+ as a scrap.

after which the paper & restoration will be added.

the same will happen with army bullet.

which costed rs 30/-.

rgds,
Nikhil

BTW there was a army auctioned bullet 1972 (AFAIK) in pune .

if you want i can give you the details
If it was 45000/- for scrap bullets I am fortunate to get this beauty of mine for a very very good price as compared to you mentioined.
This bull of mine needs0/- on engine ,only I am replacing all oils, and oil filter..
Old 4th August 2011, 00:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Veer Jee you talking about 1982 i got an ok running bullet for 10000 in 2007 and in 2009 got another on for 12000 which is apparently a 1965 model

And sir jee why TAPE on the tank why not hand painted?
No sir, in mumbai all are hesitating for hand painting,and say it needs a steady hand which mumbai guys dont have,thus taping is done and it is more refined then a dirty wavey lines.
Hand painting is done the best in India only at E.India by those two brothers at the factory, who are working day and night doing only golden lining job in the factory.Steady hands of cource.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No sir, in mumbai all are hesitating for hand painting,and say it needs a steady hand which mumbai guys dont have,thus taping is done and it is more refined then a dirty wavey lines.
Hand painting is done the best in India only at E.India by those two brothers at the factory, who are working day and night doing only golden lining job in the factory.Steady hands of cource.
I dont know Veerji but i always thought that there were Kalakar bande in Bombay. any ways it looks good.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks