Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 23:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet

I have been looking out for a Bull for quite a long time, almost a year may be.
All the time I was going through Classifieds of our T Bhp.There were some classifieds asking 1.5 L for old Bulls in not so good condition.It was just because they were 30 to 40 yrs old.There is a fad nowadays to ask any amount for the BULLET bikes.

I then contacted some of my freinds also but no one came forward.I told my son to also look around, but I told him dont think of a new Bull, as of my horrible experience with enfeild india.and bikes of nowdays NO GOOD.

I have given it in my thread and how I GOT BACK MY 1000/-booking amount refund from E.I. in 3 months time.

Then as there is a saying where there is a will there is a way ,I used to keep a eye on every Bullet that came to my freinds spare parts shop.
One day I was chatting with him when this Bull came and was parked by its owner ,who had come for some minor job.

I heard the THUMPS and was FIDA on it.
As it was love at first sight I shamelessly went to him an asked politely if he can part with his bike as I am looking for the same.

As for my luck he was looking for a true Bulletier who will take care of his BABY .even after it was sold.He said he is selling it as he has a 500 cc Bull at home.
I convinced him that the bike is going to a Bull lovers home.In less then 10 minutes deal was done, and I was told to contact him 3 days later.

On Saturday me and my son went to his place ,paid some advance to him .
Now there was fitness and Envirnment tax to be paid on the bike,which that gentleman agreed to do in 2 days time.
3 days later he called me and said papers are in order kindly take delivery.
We went to his place and took delivery of the bike, at the time of delivery his small kid started crying ,there was sadness in the house.

I convinced his family that the bike is going to a right hands and Bike lovers.

Next day I took it to a service station for a good bath with shampoo.

Next I took it to my freinds garage Mr. Barkat bhai near my office.He said that there is a little sound from clutch side and maybe the whole unit will have to be replaced.

Next he opened up the clutch and said that all is OK only some bolts fixing the back side of the clutch assly were loose .
Next was full Tune up job, Cleaned the Carb with spray for cleaning the choke and carb,got new Champian Spark plug.

Barkat told me that the bike is modified and point and condenser are eliminated and ELECTRA unit is fitted in it.

Bike will start even though Battery is dead or weak.
After all work done he went for a spin and was all smiles when he returned ,he at last said to me for which I was waiting "Sir yeh Bullet ekdam TIGHT HAI"

Next step was opening up the bike for its FACE OFF ,new looks and fresh make up.

Bull was stripped open incl of spokes and each and every nut and bolt.
and handed over to Mr,Rafique bhai for painting.

I asked him if he can fix brass monogrammes on petrol tank like we see of Standard bike on my bike after doing some welding work on the tank,eliminating the sticker type monogrammes.He has agreed .
I also got hold of those golden water stickers set for all over the Bull which come on standard bike.

Here I will need help of our restorer GURUS ..HOW TO FIX THESE WATER STICKERS

I will get back the bike in 7 days time after painting.

Let the bike come back from PAINTING, after that I shall continue this thread.
I am posting some photos starting from first sight of bike till it went to Rafiue bhai for painting.

Sorry guys I dont know how to write comments below each photos being posted.Pls imagine and presume the stages bike has gone through...

Kindly excuse me for poor quality of photos , its a cell camera and is not giving good results.
But next continuation thread will be having good photos.....Regards

BULLET gurus your suggestions,comments,advices are needed badly .
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-06072011249.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-06072011250.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-06072011251.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-06072011252.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-06072011253.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-06072011254.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-06072011255.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-06072011256.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0016.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0017.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0018.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0019.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0020.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0021.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0023.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0025.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0036.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0034.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0038.jpg  

Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-photo0039.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 25th July 2011 at 23:36.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 08:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet

congrats!!

dont mod your tank for monograms.

buy a new one at any bull shop with the steel monograms & install brass ones. (even high capacity ones)

the golden parts can be chromed any time you want.

the Transistor Coil Ignition is better than the old CB system. (IMO )

also go for gas filled rear shocks.

also start the tyre search for the bull.

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 08:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
congrats!!

dont mod your tank for monograms.

buy a new one at any bull shop with the steel monograms & install brass ones. (even high capacity ones)

the golden parts can be chromed any time you want.

the Transistor Coil Ignition is better than the old CB system. (IMO )

also go for gas filled rear shocks.

also start the tyre search for the bull.

rgds,
Nikhil
Nikhil, my mechanic says that nothing needs to be replaced , incl of shocks.I am going to spray WD40 on all electrical parts,contacts,bulb holders,transister unit contacts,moving parts..viz. parking stands,locks,petroltank lock,ignition switch etc etc.

In fact all four indicator lights are working and the reflector is good,even the small front parking lights are working..
What about the WATER STICKER TRANFERS that I got ,how it is fixed ?????.
After the painting I shall go to Milan subway for the goldlines painting on Petrol tank and both tool boxes. The same guy says he will try to fix those water stickers also.but I am not confident.

I may get the original nuts and bolts zinc plated and use them instead of going for non original ones as new.

Yester day I got a new brass wing nut for the tappet cover plate,for 190/-.
All chrome parts are without trace of rust and just needs to be washed and cleaned with diesel and soap and they are shining.

I have earlier cleaned alluminium parts of a small instrument at my office by using SILVO paste, it is just to be applied and brushed lightly with a tooth brush and wash it off,and it is shining.Iwill do the same to the engine when the bike is assembled .

I shall paint the engine with Black and silver by those spray cans available inthe market.
Once again a request for that water sticker transfer method plssssssss.Regards.
Old 26th July 2011, 15:20   #4
BHPian

Hello Mr. Veerji,

Good to see finally Jaspal has himself a new baby to look after.

The water stickers you are talking about, can you please upload a picture of same? It would be very helpful.

If you are planning to get the bike painted, I would recommend you have the stickers applied before you get the final clear coat on the bike that would ensure longer life of the stickers.

Also, as suggested by Jeepster the TCi system any better than the CB point systems which would require lot of care. Especially during monsoons the TCi would ensure trouble free starts.

As far as the Std fuel tank look is concerned, you can take a look at CST road for a tank in good condition and I am sure you will be able to lay your hands on a decent one which will serve the purpose. Still better, if you have extra cash please go in for a new tank but if you are not giving the entire bike a new look it may end up looking out of place.

All the best with you restoration, I am very happy that you finally got what you have been so long craving for - "A Bull Thumping in your Yard".
mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 20:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello Mr. Veerji,

Good to see finally Jaspal has himself a new baby to look after.

The water stickers you are talking about, can you please upload a picture of same? It would be very helpful.

If you are planning to get the bike painted, I would recommend you have the stickers applied before you get the final clear coat on the bike that would ensure longer life of the stickers.

Also, as suggested by Jeepster the TCi system any better than the CB point systems which would require lot of care. Especially during monsoons the TCi would ensure trouble free starts.

As far as the Std fuel tank look is concerned, you can take a look at CST road for a tank in good condition and I am sure you will be able to lay your hands on a decent one which will serve the purpose. Still better, if you have extra cash please go in for a new tank but if you are not giving the entire bike a new look it may end up looking out of place.

All the best with you restoration, I am very happy that you finally got what you have been so long craving for - "A Bull Thumping in your Yard".
YES, GAURAV, IT IS THE bull KEEDAA AGAIN which has bitten Jaspal. and it is true saying "Once bullet rider he is a forever Bullet rider".heheheheheheh.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:03   #6
BHPian

Hey. Bike looks very well maintained.
Nice catch. How much did you pay for it?
Please post some high res pics for before & after.
AFAIK if the bike is going to start even if the battery is weak or dead then it is a CDI system.
iron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 20:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

what look are you going for??

standard, machismo, classic (60's), new classic?

i went for the 60's for my 1988 bull. (4 years back)
Restoration Of My 1989 Bullet-377.jpg
Old 26th July 2011, 20:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Hey. Bike looks very well maintained.
Nice catch. How much did you pay for it?
Please post some high res pics for before & after.
AFAIK if the bike is going to start even if the battery is weak or dead then it is a CDI system.
Yes sir, it is modified to CDI unit by the owner, Today got its battery charged at a battery wala,and after the charge it is 13.6 volts.

Quote:

Attachment 583402
Going for standard version sir,

Last edited by GTO : 27th July 2011 at 15:56. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing back to back posts.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th July 2011, 09:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratz on the but and happy to see the restoration. If you are planning for standard looks, please change the mud guards - the classic and Electra have different designs and I personally like the square one of standard than the round profile of Electra.

As many have suggested, I too would suggest you to hunt for a classic tank - you should be able to get a good condition one from the second hand markets. Please do not change to gas filled shock absorbers - I have personally never felt much improvement after changing to gas filled shocks and I prefer the look of standard shock absorbers.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 17:18   #10

One change which helped the performance of my bull...

Change the chain and sprocket set immediately. Helps a lot
as the new chain models/designs (diamond brand) give less trouble.
My older ones used to open up frequently. The new chain has not
given me trouble even once in the last 2 years. Just requires
some minor care/cleaning during servicing.

I too bought an old bull (1991) in 2005.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
jeepster. where did you get that white patch tyres. I have painted my tyres and i am running the painted ones since i couldnt find one here.

And that is one good looking restoration.

I have a 500 that just looks perfectly standard with very little modification and i am getting a 1980 std 350 which also has very little modifications.

This thread is giving me inspiration to modify one them to look absolutely different with racer like machine. Great thread.
Old 27th July 2011, 19:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Excellent buy Veerji. Congratulations. This bike looks in great nick and im sure was very well cared for.

I have been looking for a RE myself and though that the older ones would be cheaper but i was quite shocked to hear the prices. Especially their range from 55k-100k so im still confused as to what is the correct market value of the older (60-late 70s)REs would be. frankly i dont even mind a newer one if its cheap. If i can pick a Military disposal one which is working, ill go for it and restore it. If you dont mind, can you tell us how much you paid for the bike? Thanks

Quote:

Amazing looking bike Jeepster. I just love the whitewalls. Are these Indian and are they available? if yes for how much, if you dont mind.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 21:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Excellent buy Veerji. Congratulations. This bike looks in great nick and im sure was very well cared for.

I have been looking for a RE myself and though that the older ones would be cheaper but i was quite shocked to hear the prices. Especially their range from 55k-100k so im still confused as to what is the correct market value of the older (60-late 70s)REs would be. frankly i dont even mind a newer one if its cheap. If i can pick a Military disposal one which is working, ill go for it and restore it. If you dont mind, can you tell us how much you paid for the bike? Thanks

Amazing looking bike Jeepster. I just love the whitewalls. Are these Indian and are they available? if yes for how much, if you dont mind.
Yes ji, prices asked for are not at all correct and they are very steep.
In 1982 I was getting a Bull in good condition for 8000/- .
Old 27th July 2011, 22:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sirji, Some quick personal tips. Very general ones which you may already have thought of.

1) Accelarator, clutch, front brake, de-compress cable - REPLACE blindly with OE ones
2) Front and rear brake linings/shoes - replace
3) Chain sprocket set - replace
4) Clutch plates - check and replace
5) Overhaul magneto and electrical system (engine Starting related)
6) Remove the gears inside the CB system (the bike is modded to CDI)
7) Spark Plug - replace
8) Check and replace entire electrical wiring kit while you are it, is very cheap.
9) Overhaul front shocks and oil seals - bad habit of leaking oil!!
10) Swing arm cleaning and grease nipple replace/clean.
11) GET a NEW Center stand (OE, not local) while you are it, it is a pain in $$$ to replace a worn out center stand on a bullet!!!
12) Tyres and battery. Check the inside of the RIMS for rust while you at it.
13) Of course Carb Overhaul and a bigger JET if you need it
14) Check/change the Headlight doom if it is peeling off - get a SUPERB bulb, nothing comes close to a bulls headlight beam!!

Rest everything like paint, stickers is upto your taste.

EDIT---- How could I forget!!

15) Wheel bearings - unlike a tiny pulsar/spelndor - this bike takes a beating!! Please REPLACE all WHEEL BEARINGS to begin your new ownership. Your bike and fuel tank will THANK you for this 15!!

PS - the bike has had at least 1 fall/skid on its left side, please check for any obvious pull/drag in handling.

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th July 2011 at 22:28.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 10:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
If i can pick a Military disposal one which is working, ill go for it and restore it.

I just love the whitewalls. Are these Indian and are they available? if yes for how much, if you dont mind.
there was a auction in mumbai with around 60+ bullets ranging from 1995 to 2003.

they went at a price of 45K+ as a scrap.

after which the paper & restoration will be added.

the same will happen with army bullet.

the whitewall tyres are actually normal MRF's with little DIY paint job.
which costed rs 30/-.

rgds,
Nikhil

BTW there was a army auctioned bullet 1972 (AFAIK) in pune .

if you want i can give you the details
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks