Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 17:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield to make 1000cc monsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
OT:
Whether they produce 1000cc or not, RE has been sleepin for a lonnnng time thinkin no one is gonna beat them...
The rumor has it that, H-D is gonna come up with a sub 750cc M/C just for Indian market & workin on it...
If this holds true, the day is not too far when H-D would beat RE in their own game...
Totally agree with you. Plus, triumph is coming into the Indian market - Triumph Motorcycles Entering India

Enfield is probably thinking about expanding its business in the 1000cc model because it is going to get competition in the 350-500 cc range by both HD and Triumph sooner or later.

Either way, lets hope the news is true. It will be exciting to see the new spin Enfield puts on its traditional model.
Old 19th August 2011, 00:02   #17
BHPian

1000 CC Bullets are all ready runnin Down Under. They are 50 BHP V twins made by Carberry. Looks and sound pretty good. God knows what all issues they are facing. Now, as far as the RE's 1000 cc monsters are concerned, I will buy one only 4 years after its launch.

Last edited by Leepower : 19th August 2011 at 00:05.
Old 19th August 2011, 07:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well, RE is trying to move to the 1000cc category cause Triumph plans a 350 cc bike. Probably will be one of its entry level here in India. This is mentioned in this month's Bike magazine.
Old 19th August 2011, 09:28   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps Royal Enfield will create a large displacement motorcycle to compete with Triumph and Harley but, it wouldn't be the first time for a company making threats to accomplish a long range goal.

In Americas past in the late 1800's, there was a time when the Winchester Rifle company decided to make a pistol which would compete with the Colt pistol. In response to this, Colt produced a rifle to compete with Winchesters rifle.
Shortly after Colt's rifle went on sale Winchester agreed to stop design and production of their pistol if Colt would stop production of their rifle.
This was agreed to by both sides. Colt stopped its rifle production and Winchester never offered their pistol for sale.

By the same token, Enfields threat to design and produce a large displacement motorcycle that would compete with Triumph and Harley Davidson may be in fact a plan to stop any thoughts those two companies might entertain about building smaller motorcycles that would compete with Royal Enfield.

Just something to think about
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 00:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

By the same token, Enfields threat to design and produce a large displacement motorcycle that would compete with Triumph and Harley Davidson may be in fact a plan to stop any thoughts those two companies might entertain about building smaller motorcycles that would compete with Royal Enfield.
Effective tactic!

That article also mentions the idea of a multi fuel (kerosene) royal enfield bike to tackle petrol prices! Wonder what a kerosene powered bike would sound like.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

even if they make a 1000 cc bike, i would urge them to not try and make any blunders they made while making the classic 500. specifically the electrical blunders.

cheers,
ac
Old 25th August 2011, 15:50   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I just checked the pigs aren't flying.

They cant get a 500 cc, 20 odd bhp bike to handle well. With 1000cc I wouldn't let my mother-in-law ride it(on second thoughts maybe i would at WOT )

PS: Prove me wrong RE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well if this is true RE maybe joking! RE is not only lagging production wise but also thier is a serious issue with ASC, finding a skilled mech has become a big challenge and to top it all niggling issues.

If RE is thinking about bigger engines first they should solve the existing issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Oh think of it this way -
2 niggling problems with your 350 cc RE? Then it will become 2 X 3 = 6 niggling problems on your 1000 cc RE.
2 niggling problems with your 500 cc RE? Then it will become 2 X 2 = 4 niggling problems on your 1000 cc RE.

Simple math.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I'd love to be elated by this piece of news, but knowing the Design issues that their 350 cc and 500 cc Mini-Monsters face, I'd actually shudder to think what the 1000 cc and 750 cc beasts might have to endure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Oh my GAWD!!!
Hopefully they get their 350 & 500 evergreen problems sorted out before they start with this experiment.
God save those blessed ones who would put their sweat and blood to own one!!!

Agreed! In 2006 I was on the hunt for a new bike. I could not bring myself to like any other bike for its image and charm, but I kept dilly dallying on the RE due to its ugly reputation for performance. I ended up up postponing the buying decision by one full year and used the office cab, only to buy a Honda Pleasure for my shopping errands instead, rather than buy another stupid modern bike for 20k more.

I decided to sacrifice the option of Long drives in Himachal and Ladhak etc etc rather than live with a vehicle with such a poor reputation as Royal Enfield. It was a very sad decision taken after a whole year of thinking about it but that's what I decided in the end. But my final word was driven ultimately by a lack of respect for the company and its capabilities.

RE needs to achieve Japanese reliability before they can start day dreaming about 1000cc.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 25th August 2011 at 15:52.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
RE needs to achieve Japanese reliability before they can start day dreaming about 1000cc.
This statement has no basis to be honest. Harley Davidsons were famous for their unreliability. They continued what they do best and off late HDs have been very reliable bikes. They haven't tried to compete with the Japanese because that is not their target market.

In the same way, RE have their own target customers. If anything if RE made a 1000cc bike I would be queuing up to buy one. Buying an Indian made bike would make this such a sweet proposition.
Old 25th August 2011, 18:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
This statement has no basis to be honest. Harley Davidsons were famous for their unreliability. They continued what they do best and off late HDs have been very reliable bikes. They haven't tried to compete with the Japanese because that is not their target market.

In the same way, RE have their own target customers. If anything if RE made a 1000cc bike I would be queuing up to buy one. Buying an Indian made bike would make this such a sweet proposition.
OT - I dont think Ragul is anywhere talking about RE's target customers being Japanese. Reliability is what he is talking about and traditionally Japanese have been known for efforts they put in for the quality of their products.

An Indian made 1000cc enfield, for the cost reasons could come as a single cylinder. And if its a single cylinder 1000cc - there would be a lot of thermodynamics and structural issues IMO.
Old 25th August 2011, 18:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
OT - I dont think Ragul is anywhere talking about RE's target customers being Japanese. Reliability is what he is talking about and traditionally Japanese have been known for efforts they put in for the quality of their products.

An Indian made 1000cc enfield, for the cost reasons could come as a single cylinder. And if its a single cylinder 1000cc - there would be a lot of thermodynamics and structural issues IMO.
I never said target customers were Japanese but I did mean that the target customers were ones who would buy Japanese bikes for their qualities, and these customers would usually be different from those who would buy a RE.

Single cylinder 1000cc engine? Really?
Old 25th August 2011, 19:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow Single Cylinder 1000 CC engine? trying hard to imagine the size of piston that would be required along with the crank.
Old 25th August 2011, 19:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd

Wow Single Cylinder 1000 CC engine? trying hard to imagine the size of piston that would be required along with the crank.
Exactly. Doesn't make much sense. Flawed logic being pushed around this thread.
Old 25th August 2011, 19:39   #28
BHPian

I'm sure the current target customers/fans of RE would also love to have Japanese-like quality and reliability. There would be no stopping RE then. A powerful bike that never breaks down, which can be bought blindly without thinking twice!
Old 25th August 2011, 20:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Quote:
Exactly. Doesn't make much sense. Flawed logic being pushed around this thread.
Who is pushing the flawed logic? They are just assumptions at best. Right now I would say 750/1000cc's is an assumption, single or V-twin is just another assumption. And did I not say the following? (the sentence includes an "if" if you fail to see it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
And if its a single cylinder 1000cc - there would be a lot of thermodynamics and structural issues IMO.
Old 25th August 2011, 20:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think we are overshooting here for a 1000cc SINGLE cylinder. That is not going to happen. (is it?)

A V twin 350+350 or the 500+500 is the only option RE would have. Keeping this set up well priced will be key.

I am sure this will sell well here and abroad.

As for problems come on guys its a RE - what is a RE without the occasional issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks