Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 10:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway on 15th / 16th October, 2011

Guys,
Apologies, appears that my tryst with Kari Motor Speedway will have to wait, The annual RD meet is being conducted on 16th October @ Kanteerva Stadium from 0700 to 0900. Please excuse me for the change of plans.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway on 15th / 16th October, 2011

Mahesh, we will miss you. Hope to get a glimpse or your RD soon during weekend rides.

I am thinking about starting for Coimbatore on Friday morning itself as afternoon is getting very hot nowadays and the traffic between Salem and Coimbatore is bad in the evening. This will give adequate time to rest and be fresh for the gruelling Saturday.
Old 28th September 2011, 13:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Mahesh, we will miss you. Hope to get a glimpse or your RD soon during weekend rides.
Sure thing mate, would love to ride with you as well. Tough decision to be honest but then thought it would be worthwhile putting the RD up on the stage after spending quite some time on her.
CSS in January will be in for sure no second thoughts
Old 4th October 2011, 13:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Guys making it to the track, here is some info from another website i was browsing about track riding. Since i have never been to a track some of the things below are new to me.

Mental and Physical preparation:

- Hydrate yourself

- Eat a protein rich breakfast.

- Track riding is a physically demanding task and being in good shape will help.

- Get a good night’s sleep before your track day.

- Prepare for fun. But remember track is a dangerous place. Concentration is required at every stage or you may end up hurting not just yourself but others too.

- Enter the premises with a positive and strong mind ready to learn and concentrate. How ever natural you are at it. You need to take it easy and push yourself harder only at a much later stage once you get the basics right.

Bike preparation:

- Go over your motorcycle thoroughly.

- Tires and brake pads must be near new.

- Tire must be race or near-race quality. A stickier soft compound tire preferred.

- Proper tire pressure is of utmost importance. Ask the other racers or people running the track day. Your tire pressure will be a function of the difference in pressure from hot to cold.

- Remove the mirrors. (Why is this?)

- Disconnect the headlight and brake light. Use duct tape entirely over the headlight, turn signals, and taillight.

- Check the oil, chain, forks, anything else with possible maintenance.

- Setting your suspension up is important in track riding. If you don’t know how to set your forks and swing arm to racing settings according to your body weight, set them to firm.

The rest of the info should also be useful posted at the Source
abhinav.s is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 19:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Remove the mirrors. (Why is this?)
Mirrors are removed so that in case of a crash the fragments do not pose a risk to other riders on the track. Same reason why tail lights, indicators, headlights etc. are covered with duct tape.

Also, it is important to ensure that there is no fluid leakage from the bike (engine oil, brake fluid, coolant, etc.).
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 19:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Mirrors are removed so that in case of a crash the fragments do not pose a risk to other riders on the track. Same reason why tail lights, indicators, headlights etc. are covered with duct tape.

Also, it is important to ensure that there is no fluid leakage from the bike (engine oil, brake fluid, coolant, etc.).
Thanks Aditya. Makes sense. So if you want to see if any rider is close behind, you have to crane your neck and look every time.

And yes a good point about arresting any fluid leakages.
Old 4th October 2011, 19:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aditya. Makes sense. So if you want to see if any rider is close behind, you have to crane your neck and look every time.
I guess there would be adequate distance between each rider. Also, more importantly each rider will be following his/her line on the track and the apex's just before the corner entry/exit.

Its a lot more disciplined on the track than on the streets so absence of the mirrors wouldn't pose any issues.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 00:43   #38
Team-BHP Support

You won't have to worry about as to who is behind you in a track-day class/school as it is of no significance.

And while racing, you would be losing precious kmph if you crane your neck, keep an eye on the pit-board or screen.

Remove all the parts which aren't required on a track, indicators, registration plates, pillion seat etc.
Old 5th October 2011, 20:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

This is mainly for the CBR250R guys. So PatienceWins and other CBR owners heading out on 18th will benefit. This is a small review of how the CBR performed at the track from a biking forum. Should give a fair idea to the CBR guys what to expect from the bike. There was no info on which track this was so please excuse me for missing that but this was in South India somewhere for sure since the guy is from Bangalore.

Quote:
The way I see a stock CBR 250 - simply not the setup for track use. If you want to push it then be ready with loads of cash to spend on the damage (please note that the spares for this bike are not available as of now). The front suspension will hold in the corner's but the rear will not hold at all.The first lap I went out and at the first corner entry I came to the conclusion that I need to be carefull with this setup. So I took the rest of the corners very casually just to feel the mid range and the top end of the bike. once i entered the home straight, i made up my mind to see how the suspension behaves at the first corner which is a big one, so entered the corner at around 135kmph and as soon as I flicked the bike, the rear started to bounce like a ping pong ball. I was able to hold the bike in the same position until the end of the corner. So moral of the story - if you want to take CBR to track, get the suspension adjusted. it should not be too soft, not only this bike, this is the same setting for other bikes also

On the other hand the low end and mid range is very good in the bike - the pull after 4k rpm is superb & the gearing is also good.

Riding position is comfortable, it handles almost like R15 at track - I mean I didnt face any problem in flicking the bike in between two corners.
.....I was able to do comfortably 135 to 140 kmph....

We didnt get time to do some adjustments and test out again, otherwise I will be able to give you guys a much more clear picture...

CBR 250...as per me will be very good for city use and touring purpose....so tourer's get yourself a CBR asap.

Source

Last edited by abhinav.s : 5th October 2011 at 20:38.
Old 5th October 2011, 22:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

This write seems a bit conflicting with whatever I have read either on the web or magazines. The front end is the culprit on the track as well as on the road with too much dive while braking or dipping-in, in a corner.

Remedy suggested was to use more strengthened springs in the front shocks and over-fill (the front shocks) by a bit.

On the road there is a bit too much nose-dive and that is it.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This write seems a bit conflicting with whatever I have read either on the web or magazines. The front end is the culprit on the track as well as on the road with too much dive while braking or dipping-in, in a corner.

Remedy suggested was to use more strengthened springs in the front shocks and over-fill (the front shocks) by a bit.

On the road there is a bit too much nose-dive and that is it.
Hmm... Could be Sheel. As this is from another forum, this particular user might have felt this way and also his bike might have been set up different. As he mentions he did not get a chance to change any settings and take a few more laps. So may be he was already tinkering around before he went out on the track and had got the front shocks set up as suggested by you/web above.
Old 6th October 2011, 19:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is mainly for the CBR250R guys. So PatienceWins and other CBR owners heading out on 18th will benefit. This is a small review of how the CBR performed at the track from a biking forum. Should give a fair idea to the CBR guys what to expect from the bike. There was no info on which track this was so please excuse me for missing that but this was in South India somewhere for sure since the guy is from Bangalore.

Source
Thanks Abhinav. I read that in the other forum and intend to try with the rear suspension set to hard. It seems to be easy as per the manual.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 6th October 2011 at 19:30.
Old 17th October 2011, 13:57   #43
JVH
Senior - BHPian

It was great fun for the last 2 days. I would recommend the track days for all those who are interested in improving their riding skills, knowing their and the bike's limitations and overcoming the fear. While 2 days is definitely not enough to teach you a whole lot of things, there is a definite take away from all the sessions and by the end of the last lap, when you connect all and apply, you are bound to become a better rider.

There are a lot of pics which am sure would be coming up soon, thanks to our dear friends.

And thanks to Indimotard for a pretty professional set up. Thanks to all the instructors - Anand, Dodo, Josh, Bhaskar and Shubhabrata Marmar.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Some photos from the Class, the instructor and his classroom full of attentive people
Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-065-large.jpg

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-067-large.jpg

After Effects of Class Sessions
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-355-large.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Few were handheld by the trainers literally
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-295-large.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

And then we could get a glimpse of R-6 peppering the track with a very good display
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-270-large.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

That's it from my end
Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-251-large.jpg

@ Mods, appears that the formatting has been lost would you be able to correct it?
Attached Thumbnails
Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-335-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-344-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-116-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-202-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-343-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-326-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-332-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-312-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-224-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-228-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-241-large.jpg  

Track School (Motorcycles) @ Kari Motor Speedway. Edit: Feb 11/12, 2012.-picture-242-large.jpg  

Last edited by ku69rd : 18th October 2011 at 16:51.
ku69rd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 12:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

The next edition of the TWO track school is on Feb 11th and 12th of 2012.

Details here: indiMotard adventures - motorcycle experiences, india and beyond!

Had a super time last october which was my first time on the track with the ninja.

Looking forward to this one again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks