Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 09:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Yamaha R15 V2.0- A query

Hi Anup,

I have never noticed the speed range, but as recommended by fellow bhpians the best way to go is changing gears according to rev range.
I have noticed the engine is happy when i change gears around 5000 rpm while upshifting.

As for down shifting, i try to keep the rev range between 4000 to 4500 rpm, i.e, while slowing down i never let the rpm drop below 4000, i have often noticed this often, say i am decelerating, regardless of what gear or speed i am in, i keep an eye at the rpm if it drops below 4000 rpm, i shift down one gear, the rpm will climb to 5000 near about.
But say its a slow moving traffic and i have to slow down even more, i follow the same downshift pattern.

And as for upshifting, say if i am accelerating in a calm manner(whether city or highway), i try to keep the rpm between 4000 to 5000, no matter how long i have to ride in that range, i only upshift to higher gear if the rpm starts to climb past 5500, and if i can mantain the momentum, and an upshift there will drop the rpm to 4500 region.

I hope this helps. this is only to be done initially, as time passes, just listening to engine noise and feeling the vibrations can tell you when to change, looking at rpm will not be required.

I feel that speed is not the best indicator for gear change.

As for the upper limit for changing gear, well, thats any easy one 10500 rmp, only after running in is done.
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 14:47   #47
BHPian

As many have said over here that speed is not a great indicator to change gears, the RPM is. I usually shift gears b/w 4500 - 5500 rpm to get a good amount of torque in the gear I just slotted into.
Sudden bursts of acceleration are compounded when you are still in the process of getting in terms with the throttle control and clutch action. A light clutch action will definitely help in getting a smooth roll on.
The distance of the clutch lever from the grip is also a reason of discomfort as it was in my case. Thus I switched to adjustable levers and I have solved my clutch in - clutch out problems.

Congratulations on the motorcycle!

DM99
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 23:46   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
as time passes, just listening to engine noise and feeling the vibrations can tell you when to change, looking at rpm will not be required.

I feel that speed is not the best indicator for gear change.
Great insight meheul. Now I need to adapt my riding style accordingly and also change my psyche (which is a result of riding commuter bikes, solely focusing on speed).

Thanks..
Old 14th January 2015, 23:50   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
Sudden bursts of acceleration are compounded when you are still in the process of getting in terms with the throttle control and clutch action. A light clutch action will definitely help in getting a smooth roll on.
The distance of the clutch lever from the grip is also a reason of discomfort as it was in my case. Thus I switched to adjustable levers and I have solved my clutch in - clutch out problems.

Congratulations on the motorcycle!

DM99
Thanks DM99 and rightly said. I'm still in the process of finding my sweet spot position of the clutch lever. Hope to sort it out soon.
anup89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 22:00   #50
BHPian

Could not find a relevant ongoing topic so posting my query here. Please move it to the appropriate thread if necessary.

Lately I have noticed that my R15 V2.0 rear tyre has been losing pressure quite rapidly. It falls to 12-13 psi within 3 days even after topping it up to 33 psi as recommended when riding with pillion. When I went for a puncture check, there was nothing to be found

The bike has done about 12300 kms so far so I think the tyre is good to last for a few thousand kms more.

Has anyone else faced this issue? Any pointers appreciated.
Old 24th January 2015, 13:35   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
Has anyone else faced this issue? Any pointers appreciated.
Please check tire valves as a leaky valve can result in air loss.
On the scarier side, carefully inspect your rims as damaged rims/ dented rims cannot hold the air in the tire.

If your tire was removed anytime in the past, see if it is put in proper direction and lastly check if the walls of the tire have develop cracks.

DM99
Old 1st February 2015, 14:02   #52

hello again everyone..
need some expert advice ,yet again,
my R15 v2.0's odo reads 720km and i am done with my first service.
after 500km i was beginning to rev it upto 7000rpm and on a low traffic highway i notched a max speed of 102kmph in the 6th gear at around 7000rpm. Is it advisable to do so at this odo reading or should i wait??
please advise.
thank you.
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup89 View Post
hello again everyone..
need some expert advice ,yet again,
my R15 v2.0's odo reads 720km and i am done with my first service.
after 500km i was beginning to rev it upto 7000rpm and on a low traffic highway i notched a max speed of 102kmph in the 6th gear at around 7000rpm. Is it advisable to do so at this odo reading or should i wait??
please advise.
thank you.
I understand that it is very tempting to unleash the raw power in the engine, but WAIT. Till at least for another 250kms. Your bike owner's manual is your best guide. Follow the run-in instructions sincerely. Happy riding.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

How do you find the bike on long rides? Is the sitting position comfortable for longer durations?
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:29   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How do you find the bike on long rides? Is the sitting position comfortable for longer durations?
The definition of comfort differs from person to person. As the body sizes, weight, earlier used bikes and riding styles makes it completely different scenario for everyone. Obviously its not as comfortable as a Karizma or Pulsar and if you ask me most of the people feel its too extreme to be used for long rides. I did every sort of riding on mine, even rode it continuously for 20-21 hours while coming back from a 1600 km long mountain trip. I never felt this much pain as I did in this trip due to the knee guards I was wearing because I was not able to grip the tank with my thighs. So correct riding style and gear is very important, others thing is your fitness level.
Old 9th May 2018, 12:34   #56
BHPian

I am not able to start my 2.5 year old R15 S while in gear (1st) with the clutch pulled in. Starts without a fuss when slotted into neutral. Battery should be fine as lamps, horn etc have no problems. Done 20k plus kms and serviced regularly. Only thing is that I had to transport it cross country last week and this cropped up the moment I started riding it after taking delivery. Not sure if the packers messed some sensor up.

Its not a big thing as I do not mind slotting to neutral and then starting it. Would like to take some action if it becomes a bigger headache later.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I am not able to start my 2.5 year old R15 S while in gear (1st) with the clutch pulled in. Starts without a fuss when slotted into neutral. Battery should be fine as lamps, horn etc have no problems. Done 20k plus kms and serviced regularly. Only thing is that I had to transport it cross country last week and this cropped up the moment I started riding it after taking delivery. Not sure if the packers messed some sensor up.

Its not a big thing as I do not mind slotting to neutral and then starting it. Would like to take some action if it becomes a bigger headache later.

Any thoughts please? Adding another incident which happened over the weekend. The ignition cut out with the bike in 3rd gear IIRC while doing around 35kmph and slowing down for a signal ahead. After that it just refused to start. Battery was fine as engine was cranking and all electricals were working. Pushed it to the side of the road with plans for a quick ride around the city of joy evaporating in the May morning heat. After about twenty minutes of poking around with only grease on my fingers to show for it, tried the engine switch once again and voila, the engine came to life!

Lost no time in riding back home. Started the engine an hour later and all was fine. Rode around the neighborhood and nothing felt amiss. Wonder what it was. Had given her a water wash a week back and was parked ever since. If that had anything to do with it then that would be a first as not the first time I washed the bike and am very careful - use a small bucket and a mug, not a hose.
Old 15th May 2018, 17:05   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I am not able to start my 2.5 year old R15 S while in gear (1st) with the clutch pulled in. Starts without a fuss when slotted into neutral.
There should be a spring return switch near the clutch lever which prevents the bike from starting while in gear. Check the socket as well.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 18:13   #59
BANNED

Quote:

Your clutch switch ain't working, see if the connection is fine, if its broken get it replaced.

Yamaha R15 V2.0- A query-11512992_001.jpg
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 20:56   #60

Hello, fellow R15 riders/enthusiasts..
I ride an R15v2.0,about to complete 59-60k kms. In the last two service visits(Yamaha SCs) I was informed about engine noise. They suggested to replace the camshaft. At first, i ignored but on careful listening ,i too heard a sound other than the normal engine sound.
What can be the probable causes and how to confirm?
Is it a problem that anyone else here has faced?
Is changing the camshaft the only solution?
TIA

Most Viewed