Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 22:49   #751

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Hi Doc, apologies for the severe blast from the past...I'm just beginning to ride seriously...using my cricket leather shoes with the spikes removed as my riding boots...would you have any idea where i can get the DMS shoes in Delhi.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You are from Pune, so its easier.

Go to MG Road. Go into Kolsa Gulli (lots of photo frame shops).

Ask for Makatee (army surplus store) - its on the right when you enter Kolsa Gulli from MG Road side.

Ask for DMS boots. Buy the best quality they have (500+ should be the price).

Flex was the gold standard, but since you do not get those anymore, ask him (there are two brothers - short on social niceties and patience) for the closest alternative.

DO NOT BUY the fancier "civilian" equivalents with padding etc.

These are what they look like:

Attachment 1006132

Attachment 1006133

Of course they come in Black (Army) as well as Tan (BSF) - the Tan is very rare and difficult to get. Black is always there.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:41   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushagra_bhat View Post
Hi Doc, apologies for the severe blast from the past...I'm just beginning to ride seriously...using my cricket leather shoes with the spikes removed as my riding boots...would you have any idea where i can get the DMS shoes in Delhi.

Thanks.
In the Cantonment area there is a big market (I forget the name - one of my army batchmates had taken me there for gloves and such) with many shops selling army stuff. Lots of high altitude cold weather stuff (blankets, jackets, gloves, tents etc.) and waterproof stuff as well. You should definitely get the DMS boots there.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 11:40   #753

Thank you Doc. The journey to safer and long distance rides begins...only need the 390 to be delivered now to have some serious monsoon blasts...Waiting to read your 'Ridden to the death' story...in the absence of the bike itself, reading the words of passionate bikers like you is amazingly therapeutic...thanks for not letting the passion flag...cheers
Kushagra_bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 21:10   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Any body done any mods to have a pillion AND a saddle bag mounted on this bike? any pictures?
The Pulser 220 Cramster saddle bags is a perfect for the Duke.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ded-ladakh.jpg
Old 14th August 2013, 11:17   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
The Pulser 220 Cramster saddle bags is a perfect for the Duke.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ded-ladakh.jpg
Nandu thanks for the photo. Can you provide details and photos on how exactly you tie them down to the bike? Do they foul with/apply pressure on the indicators? How do you solve the problem of them sliding forward on the split grab rails, and eventually fouling with your legs and sliding under your rear? Have you done a fully laden test ride over some proper distance with them, over different rough terrain and speeds?
Old 14th August 2013, 14:54   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Nandu thanks for the photo. Can you provide details and photos on how exactly you tie them down to the bike? Do they foul with/apply pressure on the indicators? How do you solve the problem of them sliding forward on the split grab rails, and eventually fouling with your legs and sliding under your rear? Have you done a fully laden test ride over some proper distance with them, over different rough terrain and speeds?

Sir not at all. Unfortunately cant send any more pics because bike is en route to Jammu for Ladakh ride. Not even bungee, just a nylon rope tied under the tail plastic.
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 18:20   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nandu thanks for the photo. Can you provide details and photos on how exactly you tie them down to the bike? Do they foul with/apply pressure on the indicators?
Doc,
If you are looking for saddle bags, suggest you to give a good look at Get Off Ur Ass bags. They are a tad expensive but of the top quality. They will last longer provided they dont end up on a crashed bike. You have the utility to split the 2 bags and make them look as sling bags.
Couple of my friends have been using it for donkey number of years and I have also picked up a set recently.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 18:46   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
If you are looking for saddle bags, suggest you to give a good look at Get Off Ur Ass bags. They are a tad expensive but of the top quality. They will last longer provided they dont end up on a crashed bike. You have the utility to split the 2 bags and make them look as sling bags.
Couple of my friends have been using it for donkey number of years and I have also picked up a set recently.
Hey ku69rd, do you think you can share a couple of snaps of the saddle bag. Didnt find any on the get-off-ur-ass website (although i did send a enquiry), hence the request.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:50   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Hey ku69rd, do you think you can share a couple of snaps of the saddle bag. Didnt find any on the get-off-ur-ass website (although i did send a enquiry), hence the request.
Hi DieselDestiny,
Have not taken photos of them as am yet to mount them. However could find some photos from a different forum.

http://xkmph.com/discuss/index.php?topic=2729.0

PS: Hope this goes well in spirits to this forum.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 12:09   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Hi DieselDestiny,
Have not taken photos of them as am yet to mount them. However could find some photos from a different forum.

http://xkmph.com/discuss/index.php?topic=2729.0

PS: Hope this goes well in spirits to this forum.
Thanks ku69rd. They seem to be pretty big at 72lts, was wondering if they would go well on my Duke.
Old 15th August 2013, 18:16   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Thanks ku69rd. They seem to be pretty big at 72lts, was wondering if they would go well on my Duke.
Give it a shot else speak to Santosh he should be able to guide you better. When it fits onto R15 do not see any challenge with the KTM.
When I last spoke to him he was working on a new product which is close to the claw. Let me know if you need any further details.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:01   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Give it a shot else speak to Santosh he should be able to guide you better. When it fits onto R15 do not see any challenge with the KTM.
When I last spoke to him he was working on a new product which is close to the claw. Let me know if you need any further details.
They are way too long. Will definitely foul with the rear indicators, which are placed at an awkward position for most "normal" sadle bags as well, even without a bottle loaded pocket.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:58   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are way too long. Will definitely foul with the rear indicators, which are placed at an awkward position for most "normal" sadle bags as well, even without a bottle loaded pocket.
Doc,
Which do you suggest the best? From my rider group, they rely more on the tail bag & tank bag as KTM generally does not accomodate those huge saddle bags.

Anyways I had not tried the Get Off Ur Ass bags with a KTM.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:08   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc,
Which do you suggest the best? From my rider group, they rely more on the tail bag & tank bag as KTM generally does not accomodate those huge saddle bags.

Anyways I had not tried the Get Off Ur Ass bags with a KTM.
I am using my regular Bullet saddlebags made by Mufi (Gypsy Tents - a Pune based mountaineering and adventure equiment manufacturer I have known for years - details and photos there in this thread I think)

They are huge, have tons of zips and covers and pockets, and the main compartments are really vouinous. With a little bit of strap and buckle ingenuity, I have managed to get them adapted perfectly to the Duke.

It takes literally less than 5 minutes to mount or dismount before or after a ride. I have never used tank bags, and if at all, I have a haversack bungeed to the pillion seat with my ready access stuff for long rides, or on my back for sub-500 km rides. Sits perfectly on the slightly raised pillion seat and I only need to have the chest and waist belts adjusted to prevent it falling to the sides. No stress on the shoulders or arms at all.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:00   #765
Senior - BHPian

What was probably the last rain ride of the season yesterday, rode with a friend (he on his 390, me on my 200) to Amby Valley in Lonavala in the afternoon. Lots of mist and rain and Ganpati visarjan throngs. Multiple times got plastered with pink gulal as well (thankfully the rain washed it all off our gear in double quick time). Some of the morons aim stright for your visor so that you are blinded for an instant.

Anyways, we both wanted to see the two bikes against each other. Even though we knew it would be a no contest. I obviously knew my one and only chance was in the ghats, if I could be close enough to him before they started. His is the first 390 delivered in the country and is already at 6000+ kms.

There was a lot of wind, so neither bike could pull properly to its top end against the strong headwind. The 200 did manage to accelerate better and quicker in short manic bursts everytime both gunned after traffic gaps opened, though admittedly the 390 never was stretched and never had to even try too hard. Even if he got caught out before the gap closed, the way he closed the distance post that was effortless. My friend has ridden with newer 200s and he did comment that mine was significantly quicker and was pulling a lot stronger. I guess that may have something to do with being the first un-neutered lot, with stock unflashed ECU. Though the 42 teeth rear sprocket on the bike now has made it less easy to hit the redline in the higher gears. I wonder if they are still selling the 43 teeth rear sprockets .....

This was when I was riding in front. The story was very different when he was in front. Then the 200 was wrung out in every gear just attempting to keep the gap to the 390 in the distanc ahead constant. While I was pulling to 9.5-10K rpm and still not able to close up, he was chugging along at 7000 rpm. The only time I could and would close was in traffic or in the twisties. Then he would open again.

Another thing is about the wet grip of the tyres. No two ways about it. ABS and Metzelers are a potent combination. I was riding the 200 hard after a long long time, that too in the wet. The past many months having gotten used to the 390. I do not know if my Revz have degraded over 18 months or its just comparative. But the backend just did not give me a lot of confidence and had a few sideways dances under braking as well as one BIM moment under power leaned fully over. We eased up after that all the way up to the main gates f Amby Valley before turning back at a more sensible pace for some bhajji and bhutta and chai in the dense fog.

Both bikes were tanked up at the same Shell pump on the bypass. On return to my friend's basement parking, both bikes had used up the same number of bars (4 bars in the main remaining), though the 390 was showing 3.3 L/100 km while the 200 was showing 3.0 L/100 km. The average speed on the 390 at the end was showing 63 kmph while the 200 (which was forced to work harder) showed 65 kmph.

Bottom line is that a 390 rider and a 200 rider can tour together, but it will not be enjoyable for either. One will burn out trying to keep up, the other will go to sleep trying to keep down.

Last edited by ebonho : 19th September 2013 at 13:04.
ebonho is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks