Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:14   #31

Hello,

That's a great review I'd say; I own a 180 rtr too and it's a complete package for a youngster like me.

I have done 21,000k on the mean machine and now am eager to try out something more. I own a 2006 rx-135 too and have got a naughty thought of changing my rtr into a speed demon!

So here's my question-How good would I increase the top speed on my rtr by changing the sprocket ratio?
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Apache RTR180: Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
... is this a common issues with the RTRs?
Don't think so. May be i chose the bike with the most niggles from the lot of bikes!!
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Don't think so. May be i chose the bike with the most niggles from the lot of bikes!!
nice one.... but Trijal TVS has been really awesome.. tempted to pick up the bike from them.
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbY1618 View Post
So here's my question-How good would I increase the top speed on my rtr by changing the sprocket ratio?
Thanks for your appreciation and kind words. Coming to the top speed quest on the RTR, sprocketing is a double edged sword. You try top speed and you will lose acceleration and vice versa. Since you are in Bangalore, best is to contact Joel Joseph from Race concepts ---> :.Welcome To Race Concepts.:

Speak to him and he can guide you appropriately to increase the top speed on the RTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
but Trijal TVS has been really awesome.. tempted to pick up the bike from them.
Yes Trijal has been immensely supportive and have not cut corners when it comes to warranty replacements. Very happy with the service and support so far! You will not go wrong if you pick up the bike from there!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 12:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

11 months and 14000kms later, it was time for the first PAID service (6th Service).

Due to my negligence, i was unable to lubricate the chain when it was about to go dry and used the bike as is for nearly 1500kms on an almost dry chain. This costed me the chain and sprocket!!! So a warning to all RTR180 owners and owners of bike with open chains in general. Please lubricate your chain as soon as you visually notice that it is dry or will dry up soon. Don't worry about the no. of kms before the last time you sprayed the chain lubricant.

Service completed yesterday and pretty happy with the service from Trijal TVS. Costs and parts details below:

Chain, Sprocket kit --> Rs.950/-
Labour (Chain-sprocket only)--> Rs.110
Spark Plug --> Rs.110/-
Paid service charge --> Rs.250/-

Including tax the bill came up to Rs.1640/-

Before the sprocket change, there was uneven tightening on the chain which was leading to loss in pick up and was taking eons to reach 6k RPM. All that is now rectified and the bike moves as good as new.

Next up for replacement is the front disk pad and the disc plate. Not sure why the disc plate needs replacement. Will check during the next service. The rear brake pads are wonderful and will run for another 5-6k kms
Old 5th July 2012, 00:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Due to my negligence, i was unable to lubricate the chain when it was about to go dry and used the bike as is for nearly 1500kms on an almost dry chain. This costed me the chain and sprocket!!!
Hmmm...I will definitely try to keep this in mind. I can't remember the last time I lubed the chain. I have replaced the chain and sprocket recently and wouldn't want to do that again. It's a costly affair at nearly 1200 bucks!

Now if I may hijack your ownership thread for a while, Abhinav.

I have swapped the rear IRC rubber (that I used to praise a lot) with Michelin Pilot Sporty. It isn't exactly of same stock size but a size thinner, i.e., 100 instead of 110. Having it for the past 15 days now and, the results so far have been positive, to say the least. Wet/slush/loose gravel grip is phenomenal (may be because it's new?), I must say. But on dry tarmac, under-hard braking it tends to screech and scream. Which has never been the case with IRC until it finally came to end of its life-cycle at 12k kilometers.

Still, around the twisty roads I can lean the bike more, which in turn has also increased my confidence level by a wee-bit. I am scraping pegs and other hanging metal parts quite easily now. Can push the bike far and there's a certain assurance from the rubber. Loving it!

The rest of it is pretty much the same story. Bike has been running fine with a few trivial niggles popping up every week. No big or serious issues to report.

I also managed to cover 30k quality kilometers on my bike. Hoping to continue this journey in the same blissful way. Here's a pic I was luckily able to click that day,
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Apache RTR180: Ownership Review-photo0026.jpg  

Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 11:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Of course.

Quote:
I have swapped the rear IRC rubber (that I used to praise a lot) with Michelin Pilot Sporty. It isn't exactly of same stock size but a size thinner, i.e., 100 instead of 110.
Great that you were able to find the Michelin Pilot Sporty. Here in Bangalore Pilot Sporty in any size was not available and still is the case. It is good that grip levels in treacherous conditions is very good. On dry, when you say hard braking, do you rely on the rear brakes as much to make the tyres squeal?

Quote:
Still, around the twisty roads I can lean the bike more, which in turn has also increased my confidence level by a wee-bit.
This is a good point. Though you have got a thinner tyre section, the cornering grip is good goes to say a lot about the tyre profile and compound used.

Quote:
I also managed to cover 30k quality kilometers on my bike. Hoping to continue this journey in the same blissful way.
Congrats on the 30k kms mark and hope you have many more miles and smiles with the RTR.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 00:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Great that you were able to find the Michelin Pilot Sporty. Here in Bangalore Pilot Sporty in any size was not available and still is the case. It is good that grip levels in treacherous conditions is very good. On dry, when you say hard braking, do you rely on the rear brakes as much to make the tyres squeal?

Very interesting that you put that up. While I tend to grab the front brakes more often I have also noticed that I dab on the rear ones with equal pressure. So, instead of 70:30 I am going 55:45 or 50:50 most of the times. The reason for this is that I find RTR's front brakes very bitey. Just pull the lever by a hair's breadth and the wheels lock. Pads are fine, brake-fluid level has been topped-up. Yet, it feels very hard. On slight application there's a solid jhatka and sometimes even the tires give up the ghost too. I believe I can control the rear when it skids but once the front loses its composure...I am very likely to fall over.

On emergency stops or while riding around hills, I rely on engine-braking heavily. Bleeding the brakes might help but not sure about that either.

The worse thing happens when I am riding in a stop-go traffic. Feel like a complete jerk in front of everyone every time I brake.
Old 6th July 2012, 01:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm...I will definitely try to keep this in mind. I can't remember the last time I lubed the chain. I have replaced the chain and sprocket recently and wouldn't want to do that again. It's a costly affair at nearly 1200 bucks!

I have swapped the rear IRC rubber (that I used to praise a lot) with Michelin Pilot Sporty. It isn't exactly of same stock size but a size thinner, i.e., 100 instead of 110. Having it for the past 15 days now and, the results so far have been positive, to say the least. Wet/slush/loose gravel grip is phenomenal (may be because it's new?), I must say. But on dry tarmac, under-hard braking it tends to screech and scream. Which has never been the case with IRC until it finally came to end of its life-cycle at 12k kilometers.

Still, around the twisty roads I can lean the bike more, which in turn has also increased my confidence level by a wee-bit. I am scraping pegs and other hanging metal parts quite easily now. Can push the bike far and there's a certain assurance from the rubber. Loving it!

The rest of it is pretty much the same story. Bike has been running fine with a few trivial niggles popping up every week. No big or serious issues to report.

I also managed to cover 30k quality kilometers on my bike. Hoping to continue this journey in the same blissful way. Here's a pic I was luckily able to click that day,
My eyes playing games or is it 300K kms and not 30K
Old 6th July 2012, 03:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
My eyes playing games or is it 300K kms and not 30K

It's 30000.0 kilometers. The decimal there is hardly visible so can't blame you on that. Sorry!
Old 6th July 2012, 14:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I believe I can control the rear when it skids but once the front loses its composure...I am very likely to fall over.
Interesting to note the front brakes being so sharp. During the 14k kms i have always found the front brakes progressive. So far i have hardly used the rear brakes for about 1k kms. I rely only the fronts. Hence i have had to replace the pads already on the front but the rear is good for up to 20k kms.

Quote:
Bleeding the brakes might help but not sure about that either.
Bleeding helps if the brakes are spongy or ineffective. But going by your description below, it feels like they have become highly effective & sensitive to the touch!!

Quote:
The worse thing happens when I am riding in a stop-go traffic. Feel like a complete jerk in front of everyone every time I brake...
Old 8th July 2012, 01:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Bleeding helps if the brakes are spongy or ineffective. But going by your description below, it feels like they have become highly effective & sensitive to the touch!!

Today it got even worse. It rained heavily here (don't know if that has to do something with it) so couldn't take the bike out all day long. In the evening ran a quick errand and while on my way riding there using the front brakes would jerkily lock the wheels every time. Had to take the issue to the local mechanic by riding and relying wholly on the rear-brakes.

The mechanic said the piston on the master-cylinder has gone kaput and is to be replaced. He didn't have the part in stock though. It was already night and he has asked to bring the bike tomorrow morning.

I think I will first visit the dealership tomorrow and have them inspect the damn thing. Till then wish me good luck, again!
Old 9th July 2012, 11:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mechanic said the piston on the master-cylinder has gone kaput and is to be replaced.
Too bad, but the bright side is that there is now some diagnosis. You can hound the dealership to set it right Are you sticking to the service center for paid services as well or taking it to the local guy? If you are with the local guy after the free services, then get the job done from him if you trust him/his skills. Else best to stick to the service center.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Too bad, but the bright side is that there is now some diagnosis. You can hound the dealership to set it right Are you sticking to the service center for paid services as well or taking it to the local guy? If you are with the local guy after the free services, then get the job done from him if you trust him/his skills. Else best to stick to the service center.

The dealership is crap, IMHO. They need atleast an hour to check the bike. However, I do send my bike for paid services but that doesn't include oil change.

The problem with mechanics at all these dealership is that they set the bike up as per their convenience. As if they are to ride it and not me. They'd fiddle with the clutch, screw-up the AFR to lean, make the handle light and will never get the major issues worked out. Seriously, that puts me off and I am disappointed every time. So, it's better to take the bike to the local mechanic and have everything done in front of eyes. They are prompt in their services and aren't always crowded.

When some part is to be replaced, like in the case above, I try to stick with the dealership for genuineness.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I do send my bike for paid services but that doesn't include oil change.
Same here! It was my first paid service without any oil change. Fortunately, my experience with the service center is positive so far. Hope it remains!

Quote:
They'd fiddle with the clutch, screw-up the AFR to lean, make the handle light and will never get the major issues worked out.
Contradicting my above point, though the service experience is positive, they do mess up all the things you have mentioned above. So from the 3rd free service onwards, i would ensure i make the SA write on the job card not to adjust the clutch, AFR, Idling etc. Unless he mentions it, I would not sign the card. It was A-OK from then on.

Quote:
When some part is to be replaced, like in the case above, I try to stick with the dealership for genuineness.
True again. I got my local guy to confirm if the chain kit indeed needed replacement. Once confirmed, i got it done from the dealership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks