Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 10:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TVS Apache RTR180: Ownership Review

The AF ratio mixture does not need any fiddling with at every service. I got the carb tuned after a good 25K kms from Rajesh, which was done only on my insistance. The tuning was intact. Same goes for the clutch play. However, the Clutch overhaul at every 3-5k service is good. By overhaul I meant removing the drive and driven plates, cleaning it up and putting it back. Makes a whole lot of difference and also prolongs the life of the plates as well.

Abhinav since you are going for the paid service why dont you try Rajesh's garage and see if it makes a difference. Nothing will be fiddled with there.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Abhinav since you are going for the paid service why dont you try Rajesh's garage and see if it makes a difference. Nothing will be fiddled with there.
Oh yes, will surely visit Rajesh. I went with the paid service (first one) at the service center since I had to get the chain kit changed and it was close by to office.

PS: Is Rajesh still operating out of the same shop? I heard he has moved to a bigger set up else where.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:03   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Oh yes, will surely visit Rajesh. I went with the paid service (first one) at the service center since I had to get the chain kit changed and it was close by to office.

PS: Is Rajesh still operating out of the same shop? I heard he has moved to a bigger set up else where.
Rajesh has a bigger garage near Seeta Circle (near bank colony).

By the way what happened to the RTR with Joel's kit.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 13:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way what happened to the RTR with Joel's kit.
That had to be sold as it developed a glitch after a routine service at a local mech near my house. Even Joel could not fix it after inspecting the bike for nearly 2 days. So put the stock exhaust and sold it around a year ago.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:16   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Drop me a PM if you intend to go to Rajesh's Garage. Lets have a chat with the mods for the RTR which does not bring up niggles.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 12:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drop me a PM if you intend to go to Rajesh's Garage. Lets have a chat with the mods for the RTR which does not bring up niggles.
Surely will PM you before i go to Rajesh. I would be very interested in mods that dont bring up niggles.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
Booking period is 5 days. Now from your experience, would you like me to ask/ inquire about anything more relating to the bike or service....and 'anything' means anything here. Would love your feedback.
Instead of discussing this in the Gearless scooters thread, i am quoting here. Hope that is ok with you.

With regards to Service, its a make it or break it at the dealership. In my case, my service center was friendly, service oriented and accommodating. I also built a good rapport with the service adviser and service center manager. Overall experience has been good so far as you can see from the updates in this thread. At the same time about 20kms away in the same city, my friend had a horrid experience with the service center and had to run from pillar to post to get his RTR160 engine issues resolved. Unless you have a very capable independent mechanic (which i guess you do) better to start evaluating the service center by visiting the service bays and seeing how the mechanics are treating the vehicle, talk to the adviser etc.

Ensure your PDI is done with a hawk eye and also take along a friend or family member who can look at the bike critically rather than emotionally! Helps when they spot the obvious scratch or leak which we would have missed in our excitement of getting the new bike.

All the best and enjoy your new RTR180. What color are you getting?
Old 1st August 2012, 17:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hope that is ok with you.

Ensure your PDI is done with a hawk eye and also take along a friend or family member who can look at the bike critically rather than emotionally! Helps when they spot the obvious scratch or leak which we would have missed in our excitement of getting the new bike.

All the best and enjoy your new RTR180. What color are you getting?
Yeah, great; I was thinking that would be the inappropriate thread; thanks for moving this discussion to the relevant thread.

Yes, I have a gem of a mechanic near my location but I don't think I will let him tinker around with the new RTR other then the obvious minor changes.

Yes, the TVS showroom guys were very welcoming and helpful! I took a TR of the FZ-S on the same day but found the FZ engine hollow inside and only showy outside in comparison to the superb handling, suspension and response/ refinement of the RTR engine. Will take your advice regarding the SVC!!

I was very interested in the Black-Green color option but as it is not available in the 180 segment, so I opted for the pure Black one in the 180 segment (Non ABS). However, I later called them and inquired that if I do a paint job on the bike, will the warranty be affected in any way? The guy wanted to know the reason and when I explained the color problem he told me to give him the complete detail on the booking day and "they will provide that color option." So, does that mean that on my request TVS will provide me a custom-painted black-green RTR 180?

<Off the topic but> another reason I went with TVS was because they promised to deliver the RC within 2 months of the purchase; I will be needing it exactly after 2 months as I will be transporting it to my native state. The Yamaha guys quoted a 3 months period which I think most dealers quote. Do let me know after how many months you received your RC?
Old 1st August 2012, 18:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, does that mean that on my request TVS will provide me a custom-painted black-green RTR 180?
The major cosmetic changes to the current gen RTR is stickering and bigger tank shrouds with some color options (Apart from the DRL's and CF bits that is). So i am guessing that the tank stickers and tank shrouds will be provided in a matching color scheme of RTR160 upon your request. Nice gesture of the dealer to honor this request.

Quote:
Do let me know after how many months you received your RC?
Down south, the RC will come direct to the address provided during booking. There is no dealership involvement once the registration is done and the tax paid receipt is handed over. It took me 30 days to get the bike RC and 45 days for the car RC (well both are smart cards now).

Last edited by abhinav.s : 1st August 2012 at 18:57.
Old 1st August 2012, 19:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:

Nice gesture of the dealer to honor this request.

Yes, I told you they were welcoming and accommodating. I agree with a fellow BHPian - TVS really disappointed their existing customer base with their new line of RTR's by not upgrading but for new customers like us - they are no short of a boon!!

Quote:

It took me 30 days to get the bike RC and 45 days for the car RC (well both are smart cards now).
Wow, thats really fast in South. I still remember when I bought my age-old HH Deluxe, it took me 3 months to get the RC.

Also do you know if I can get the ABS installed in the bike later as an after-market package once the warranty is over?
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also do you know if I can get the ABS installed in the bike later as an after-market package once the warranty is over?
Best to go with factory fitted ABS and not tinker around later on with trying to fit it. Fellow member prateekm has got the ABS version and has been having a good experience so far. Though a bit costly, TVS has priced the ABS version only about 8-10k dearer than the non ABS which is a steal. During the time of buying my vehicle, the ABS had a wait period of about 45 days while i needed the bike almost off the shelf. Hence I went with the non ABS version.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 14:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

Been on a solo round trip of 550kms of which the return leg was in full wet conditions. For nearly 150kms on the return journey, it was raining very heavily though thankfully visibility was not affected. Got a chance to actually check the Pirelli rear tyres in full wet highway conditions. They performed beautifully and it was as if i was riding on dry tarmac.

With the TVS stock tyres, in a straight line, it was confidence inspiring for me to touch 75kmph. But with these Pirelli's i was constantly at 85-90kmph with no worries about braking, sliding, slipping etc. The deserted highway due to the rain was an added advantage. In fact i enjoyed the ride so much that I did not think about stopping to take shelter anywhere for the entire 150kms. Though i am not a motoGP rider to try knee downs in the wet, i was able to comfortably corner at 55-60kmph without any jitters that were a part and parcel of the stock tyres. All in all a worthy investment on the MT75

Last edited by abhinav.s : 6th August 2012 at 14:10.
Old 6th August 2012, 14:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Got a chance to actually check the Pirelli rear tyres in full wet highway conditions. They performed beautifully and it was as if i was riding on dry tarmac.

All in all a worthy investment on the MT75
Sounds great!

How much did the Pirellis cost and what amount did you have to ditch out in total for the installation? Also, sorry if you answered earlier but what engine oil are you using? Is Motul 7100 a great performer for the RTR 180 engine after 2.5kms?
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 15:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds great!
Thanks!

Quote:
How much did the Pirellis cost and what amount did you have to ditch out in total for the installation?
The cost of the tyre including installation was 3000/-

Quote:
Also, sorry if you answered earlier but what engine oil are you using? Is Motul 7100 a great performer for the RTR 180 engine after 2.5kms?
After suggestion from fellow bhpian Sheel, I am sticking to mineral oil. I tried fully synthetic only once [OWS brand]. While the performance was awesome, the oil wore out in about 1200kms. 800 bucks every 1200kms was too heavy on the pocket.

I am not sticking to mfg. recommended 10W30 oil. Its too thin and wont offer good protection for high revving engine of the RTR. I am sticking to Motul Mineral oil 20W40. Every 1500kms is when i change it and at 230-250 bucks a litre does not dent my wallet much as well.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 20:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Best to wait till you can go wide-open-throttle before doing stretches like that else you would be bored to death.
Okay that settled, would like to know what all I will have to insist on getting done on the first service other then the obvious oil change? And is Teflon a better idea or lamination?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks