Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 18:46   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R Tire Query

Aargee, I saw your PM but I dont have anything to add here! The others giving recommendations are doing a much better job than me as I dont have any experience witrh 2 wheeler tyres,.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

1. Dunlop - I really am not impressed with the tread pattern as I tend to believe it doesn't fair well during the rains

3. MRF - They make Zapper Q in the stock size & I'm very much impressed with their tread pattern as I believe that this is the best tread pattern that I've ever seen which is suited well for rains as well as dry weather -
I'm not sure how to look at a tread pattern and decide its good or not??
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:32   #33
BHPian

Replies appended in quoted text below in bold:
Quote:
Whaat I never thought it was radial. Let me check on that point. May be its time to think on different lines than what the dealer says.

Make sure dealer is a genuine guy and not trying to push a particular tyre for better profit margin.

No, that's OK with me as CBR's suspension setup is quite different from R15.

Good then

No no; they're all in the same league, mostly around 3 grands.

Buy MRF tyres from authorised MRF dealers only. My experience says they have better prices. I got old 100/80 17 R15 tyre for 1800/-

I'm considering the possibility of fitting a Battlax kind of tire in the front (though front is not worn out yet & is good for another few 1000 Kms & I'm really embarrassed to say that) & fitting OE Conti-Go in the rear.; would that combi work?
For indian conditions, esp wet roads, you need a central groove in front tyre.
razor aka Gopy (xbhpian) had real bad experience when he had put rear IRC tyre at front.
Even all of my bikes' front tyres have central groove. it avoids aquaplaning.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire large post as it inconveniences our small screen/mobile users. Kindly avoid posting in bold text. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd March 2012 at 12:39.
Old 22nd March 2012, 23:16   #34
BHPian

MRF Zapper Q is a good tyre - ive used on both my strokers and its never failed to reassure me. But its getting a little hard to source in the sizes i want at Bangalore. When i wanted to source a replacement for the 20,000 km old Q on my rx is was a little difficult. Finally hit up Sapthagiri Tyres in Chamrajpet. Great price and he is well stocked - though he only had one piece in the size i wanted and was quite unsure of when he would be able to get hold of fresh stock in the same size. A Zapper FV runs on my RD and im pretty happy with it. Its not great but it feels/looks special . And Doc you are right alot of guys have use the Q on the track with great success but back then we didnt have a lot of tyre options as we do today.

Since you are on 17s you have alot of options - you can go with the MRF tyres that they make for the R15 or the KTM . Or a better deal would be to go for anything from Michelin to Perilli or Bridgestone. You cant really go wrong with any of them.

ps : just picked up R15 tyres today - any idea which rims it would fit other than the R15s ( mags / spoked wheels ) ?

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 22nd March 2012 at 23:17.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
And Doc you are right alot of guys have use the Q on the track with great success but back then we didnt have a lot of tyre options as we do today.
Yeah, you're right bro. I'm talking about 2006,2007, 2008 - the game has moved on significantly since then.

But on its own, a good tyre is a good tyre - regardless of whether there is something better. That was the reason for my initial few posts on this thread when I read someone saying that the Zapper Q was not a good tyre.

And though prices of Indian tyres have gone through the roof recently, especially MRF - in comparison to the pricey foreign imports, cost is still always going to be a factor.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th March 2012 at 10:42.
Old 30th March 2012, 19:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Time for update - Changed the rear tire to ContiGo 140/70 R17

Here goes the reason...

The best tire that's suitable is a radial, medium compound with not many tire grooves & with medium groved treads. However, the entire tire market doesn't have a 140/70 spec of tire made in radial & the ones available are all plys & all the plys sold are hard compound.

Now with the current Crankgress coverment, no tires are to be sold without ISI (as if Pirelli, Michelin & Bridgestones are making inferior than ISI quality to the world) approval & hence no imported tires for over 6-8 months now; even the ones that were imported few months ago were all sold by now. And even if there were any left over, they're categorized under grey market & it attracts no warranty & no bill.

Now the only option left options are MRF, Pirelli, Dunlop & Contigo. Pirelli only has 130/80R17 which is not stock size & yields to speedo error, hard compound & very heavy; Dunlop has grooves bang in the center of the tire to for the grip (not sure how much of grip it can provide).

Now the options are left with MRF & Contigo; MRF dealer is in haze when saying it takes about 2 weeks for him to get one for me.

Now, I'm left not with much options other than to settle for ContiGo. I changed the mouth to a new one & filled Nitrogen in the rear. All I got it done at XL Tire Center Anna Nagar.

Lesson learnt - Never wait for the tire to get worn out completely to buy a new one. Keep watching the market to buy & stock the desired one when the specific brand/model is available.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 21:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now the only option left options are MRF, Pirelli, Dunlop & Contigo. Pirelli only has 130/80R17 which is not stock size & yields to speedo error, hard compound & very heavy; Dunlop has grooves bang in the center of the tire to for the grip (not sure how much of grip it can provide).
Ermmm speedos are present on front wheel, wondering how change in rear wheel would affect speedo.

In any case, 140/70 and 130/80 are exactly the right sizes/minimum ( 1%?) difference. No speed increase/decrease between them.
Old 31st March 2012, 08:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Ermmm speedos are present on front wheel, wondering how change in rear wheel would affect speedo
SunnyBoi - Unlike Rx, speedo is connected to rear wheel for CBR250R.

Quote:
No speed increase/decrease between them.
There is, pls check - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Last edited by aargee : 31st March 2012 at 08:24.
Old 31st March 2012, 08:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

I stand corrected - Even with 2% difference it hardly matters. Going in for a smaller size is better, I downsized from a 120/80-17 to 110/70-17 for my NSR and I loved it. The tyre profile becomes better and its lot more chuckable in the corners.
Old 31st March 2012, 19:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyre profile becomes better and its lot more chuckable in the corners.
One of my requirement was a tire that need not support cornering ability as I don't do that because of my high usage on streets; but I'll keep that point in mind though. Tks.
Old 6th November 2012, 03:45   #41
BHPian

I'm in need of 140/70 17s for my CBR. My stock contigos lasted for a good 18k kms which included my SS and BB runs, khardung lah expedition and multiple long distance touring plus some city commuting too. It took 36 hours of non stop high speed beating during my BB run. Inspite of all this, It still lasted for 18k Kms. The compound isn't hard but it's not soft either. It's a good all rounder. Now it's time to switch it and I'm out of options. No tyre with the stock specs are in stock in hyderabad. If anybody can find out about 140/70 17 PSDs or contigos availability, That would be great. Thanks in advance
Old 6th November 2012, 10:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pirelli only has 130/80R17 which is not stock size & yields to speedo error, hard compound & very heavy
Pirelli Sport Demon tires are softer than the IRC's and i reckon a lot softer than the ContiGo's too.

Quote:
Lesson learnt - Never wait for the tire to get worn out completely to buy a new one. Keep watching the market to buy & stock the desired one when the specific brand/model is available.
Precisely. I replaced my rear tire last year with the PSD and it was bought and kept at home for 6 months before it finally got on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
If anybody can find out about 140/70 17 PSDs or contigos availability, That would be great. Thanks in advance
Check in Pune or Delhi. You might want to try here but please be warned prices are exorbitant at this site.
Old 25th August 2013, 19:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Time for update - Changed the rear tire to ContiGo 140/70 R17
I need to replace my CBR tires soon. What do you recommend? I want to try something else other than Conti as I am not happy with the grip on wet and gravel surface. Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 15:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I need to replace my CBR tires soon. What do you recommend? I want to try something else other than Conti as I am not happy with the grip on wet and gravel surface. Thanks
Dunlop or MRF

Source - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html
Old 27th September 2013, 22:40   #45
BHPian

I'm gong with the MRF Zapper Q as it is available in my city easily. I was initially thinking of going with Pirelli but the damn govt. makes it impossible to do so. I live in a hilly area and do a lot of cornering, will this tyre provide the adequate grip for cornering?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks