Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 10:23   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)

At last it seems that Royal Enfield heard the heart beat of their customers. The Royal Enfield "Self learning UCE module DVD" is in the stores.

Install it in you computer, send the generated system id code to RE and get the authentication code. I am yet to do this, so more details on what might be inside is not known.

Finally it is a big.. I mean really big thanks to the Royal Enfield.
regards adrian
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-image0824.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-image0825.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-uce.jpg  

Last edited by adrian : 10th August 2012 at 10:51.
adrian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 11:41   #2
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)

Hi,

That's an awesome support from RE . From where did u pick it? RE Brand store? At what price? Is it available with regular RE dealers too? We don't have a brand store here in Trichur. That's why asking.
aruncheloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 12:49   #3
BHPian

It is surprising that RE has given any of this type CD. No manufacturer allows any tinkering as D.I.Y. and always refers to contact their authorized dealer.
(Alok) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:41   #4
BHPian

Shows what confidence RE has in their engines. Instead of focusing on improving the quality of the bike and their irresponsible service centres, they want customers to get their hands greased and dirty.

I don't think there are even 10% buyers those are into DIY. Looks like they want less hassle on their hands after the sale and let the customer psyche his brain by watching the DVD.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 10th August 2012 at 14:42.
TaurusAl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 16:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
That's an awesome support from RE .
Sorry I fail to see the awesomeness of this move. Taurus's post aptly sums up what I was intending to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Shows what confidence RE has in their engines. Instead of focusing on improving the quality of the bike and their irresponsible service centres, they want customers to get their hands greased and dirty. .
To top it, you pay to get your hands on the DVD and get your hands greased and dirty!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 17:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys it clearly says DIY for common UCE issues. So I am sure the engineers at RE would have given a thought or two about it while making this cd/DVD. On the other hand, this CD can be a boon for RE Raid De Himalaya guys, who may not find mechanics to repair the bike at remote places.

Now please dont ask me, when one cannot even find a mechanic, how is one supposed to read the contents in the cd.

All in all, this cd could contain solutions for carb tuning and some oil changing stuff or some minor things that one could easily fix but never know the right settings or tools to use. I cannot imagine to learn anything big/huge from this CD, reason as everyone points out - Warranty issues, Service centre will go jobless then and lack of hands on experience with mechanical/electrical parts.

Rather than unnecessarily speculating and bashing RE lets wait for our member to get his approval code and then for sure Adrian will be kind enough to share the details of the contents of the DVD.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 10th August 2012 at 17:48.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 19:19   #7
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)

I feel this is a very interesting move. I would love to get the DVD. I love working on my T'bird. I change the silencer / handles and fix basic stuff on my own. I am a complete DIY kinda person. Would love to get this DVD and learn more about my bike. Of course i won't try to fix the engine or try to service it on my own. But it feels good you know at least something about how your bike works!

Please share details about the DVD! And the basic features etc on it. And where I can get it?
thumpingheart is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 21:14   #8
BHPian

Hey, there is nothing here to over react ! Royal Enfield is not even advertising this DVD. Why I got this was because I wanted to know more about
my bike and was constantly on the hunt for information. I recently acquired a parts manual and the DVD was mentioned in it and so I went for it. So first of all just erase the thought that RE is begging you to buy it.
Just by seeing a DVD you cannot rip an engine apart and put it back. It requires special tools, adequate knowledge about what to do when something gets wrong and this you get only by experience; which currently exists with RE service not because they are brighter than you but for the cause that they had ripped open more engines. You are the one who is drawing the line. You can decide whether to stick on to small DIYs or not to touch your machine. I believe that no one in this forum is going to rip their machines apart like a maniac after seeing the DVD.
So by having a guide like this you can know what is in your bike's engine and what makes it tick. Also there is an added benefit of doing simple DIYs such as cleaning the fuel filter and carburetor, adjusting the TPS, changing a tyre, adjusting the brakes etc at home and it would be a great help for the Himalayan rides like Alphakilo said when you are stuck in never never land, out of cell phone range, being paranoid uttering "Let it rain RE mechanics".
If you don't want your hands greasy, don't buy the DVD. Forget the fact that adrian mentioned it in T-Bhp and be happy with yourself just like the old days.
So as a bottom line I believe (just like Arun said)that RE has done an awesome thing here which no other manufacturers would do. And for those who love to get their hands dirty :-
I bought it from RE spare parts store in Trivandrum and it costs Rs.2860/-. The part number is 888002. It contains information in English and Hindi and covers all models from Standard UCE to exporting models.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 10th August 2012 at 21:29. Reason: Typo
adrian is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 00:13   #9
BHPian

hey Adrian do try to look up if they have a section on the front fork service and front fork oil change...........see if you follow the details there.

from the quality of service manual provided earlier by RE, I have a feeling this may just be another ordinary effort from them. Nobody will be more happy than myself, if they prove me wrong with this CD........Cheers ! thanks for sharing your views.
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 16:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
At last it seems that Royal Enfield heard the heart beat of their customers. The Royal Enfield "Self learning UCE module DVD" is in the stores.

Install it in you computer, send the generated system id code to RE and get the authentication code. I am yet to do this, so more details on what might be inside is not known.

Finally it is a big.. I mean really big thanks to the Royal Enfield.
regards adrian
Thanks Adrian. This is great info. I hope you have gone through the DVD by now. Has it been worth it? Whats your opinion?
datvichrox2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 20:02   #11

Thanks Adrian. Was searching for something which gives info on the UCE. So after going through it do you feel a newbie could do basic DIYs by self on the bullet?
mawerick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 21:26   #12
BHPian

Hi Adrian, any chance you can tell us where you bought this DVD from? My thoughts are the same as yours - it'd be good to get a better understanding of your bike's internals, as well as be able to do some basic work on your own. Thanks!
grplr02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 21:12   #13
BHPian

Hi team mates, first of all I am really grateful to RE for providing me with the unlock key to the DVD. The reason I didn't continue with this thread was because all I could do was to boast on my possession. Sadly RE instructed the store from which I purchased the DVD, not to sell it to public

Since so many team mates have inquired about the product, I will brief a little.

The DVD was compiled by RE during the early production stage of the UCE. It uses the Thunderbird for demonstrations on 350 cc and Classic 500 for demonstrations on 500 cc. If you are talented on DIY, you could shred your bike and put it back.

What I had done with it so far :
1. Complete carburetor dis- assembly, cleaning and reassembly.
2. Rectification of valve cover leak at home.
3. Rear brake shoe replacement at home.
4. Proper TPS adjustment.
5. All my engine oil changes are done at home.

Sorry for the late reply friends

@bradhey : They don't have a section on front forks although there is a detailed video on swing arm bush replacement. So RE has disappointed you again.
@datvichrox2 : Being a newbie then, I found it useful. Worth the hard earned 3000K.
@maverick: The things I listed above are easily done at home provided you have the right tools.
@grplr02 : Please see my previous post for your query.

PS: The blunders shown by several RE workshops can be traced back to this DVD.
For eg: in Randyman's 500C thread, someone had keyed in that the mechanic had started his bike while draining oil. Actually the video for engine oil change was edited improperly. It streams with Microsoft Sam,s narration as follows :
1. Check ignition on
2. Check engine switch on
3. Start the engine
4. Open drain bolt with such and such equipments...!

I think the service is following the video as such without thinking that the starting of the bike is for warming up the engine oil to ensure smooth draining.
As a bottomline if you are able to get your hands on this DVD then you have found real treasure provided you use commonsense.

Last edited by adrian : 25th October 2013 at 21:17.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 14:22   #14
BHPian

Some screenshots of the contents of the DVD.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-up0.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-up1.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-up2.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-up3.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-up4.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-up5.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-up6.jpg  

Royal Enfield DVD - The Bible of UCE Engines (DIY)-up7.jpg  

adrian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 10:19   #15
BHPian

99% of my friends (true blue americans and europeans) abroad who own high end cars, use DVD's like these to solve common problems. Does it mean that the high end car makers have washed their hands off these customers ?

One or two Saturday's a month, for almost a year, my enfield mechanic in Chennai, Mr.Seshan, used to give me theory and practical sessions for my Bullet (Thunderbird and normal). Does it mean that he will not service my vehicle anymore ?

The more we learn about the mechanics of our vehicle, the better drivers that we become.

How many of us have concentrated on the rpm meter on our vehicles and understood its real meaning ?

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks