Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 00:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: What bike for 75,000? Ex-Enfield rider, current CBR rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Looks like most of you suggested the Unicorn. I will have to test ride the Unicorn and the FZ16 as well. And a surprising suggestion - the Impulse. But does it flatter in the looks department to deceive?
Let us know of what you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Read somewhere in the forum that Hero Maestro & Impulse are being taken out of production! It would be difficult to get some parts in future for a bike which was just sold for few months. I mentioned 'some' because I believe most of the underpinnings (Engine/Clutch etc) are a straight lift from other Hero 150's.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...o-impulse.html

Is the link you're referring to?
Old 12th September 2012, 09:33   #17
BHPian

At first glance the impulse may not appeal to many. Everyone notices the ugly welds on the frame where the swing arm rests. But these welds are there for a reason- to make the chassis stiffer. One can seriously feel the stiffness of it while riding it.

Unicorn/Dazzeler are all good but they only do one thing ie. commuting very well. On the other hand the impulse is a light weight (118 kg as opposed to 150 for uni/Dazzler etc), nimble dirt bike which just happens to have a commuter's engine. Oh and because it is almost 35 odd kilos lighter it feels much quicker than the rest of the siblings too. Just check out on this very own forum how many impulses have gone to ladakh and back with utter ease. Some even regard it better than the bullets that have been doing the rounds for Oh so many years despite the 200 odd cc defecit. Many have been banging on about how hero should have plonked the Zma's engine in it but for guys like us who already have a performance machine this bike makes total sense. You can ride it to office during the weekdays and take it for a stroll on the beach or create new tracks where roads don't even exist, tell me if any unicorn or any other namesake can do this

And I dont see it as a major issue even if Hero phases it out. This engine does duty in all 150cc bikes from both hero and honda's stable so parts will be available a plenty. I've planned for such a crisis and just gonna keep a set of 3 chain/sprocket kits and some fork seals for the long run. The rest should be available off the shelf.

I've suggested this to many of my friends and they are all happy customers. Cant wait to get my hands on one soon and give my duke some rest.

Happy choosing

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 12th September 2012 at 09:49.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 09:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
1. Budget - hoping for a bike for around ~75K.
2. Primary use - commute to office
3. Looks - good styling - R15 is too much, out!
4. Engine - a decent punch to give me a smile when riding to office too
5. Trouble-free ride with no major known issues
6. Good service centers, customer service
7. Should be a good fit for a 5'11" frame - not too small a bike
Considering the above requirements, I would definitely suggest you to buy a TVS Apache RTR 160/180. I have used this bike for a few weeks and I really enjoyed the bike. It has very good performance which always brought that smile when riding to office (Point no. 4). It definitely is a good looker (not the latest version though). And I have heard from my friends it is no trouble maker and the service is also not very expensive. Although I have seen lots and lots of TVS service stations, I am unaware of the quality of the Customer Service offered. About point 7, I guess you have to go for a test ride and check it.

All the best!
Old 12th September 2012, 10:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Do a test ride of the Suzuki GS 150R with an open mind. I think it will suit you to a "T"! Tall bike with a seat like a sofa! A good commutourer is what people call it.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th September 2012 at 10:14.
Old 12th September 2012, 10:37   #20
BHPian

Impulse would be stopped now. Check out dazzler with unicorn as well.

Also another crazy idea would be to check out scooterettes for commuter duties (Activa / Access / Wego) - pretty comfortable and would have some storage for nick-knacks..

If you are a fan of saving the environment check out electric scooters we well... there are quiet a few of them with good power for in city commuting.

p.s. gustakhi maaf
Old 12th September 2012, 11:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be Hulk and Yamaha FZ-s

Both have a far more comfortable seating position and handlebar set up and FZ-s has excellent road grip and presence and poise.

From Thunderbird, if you still dont hate RE, i would also look at getting an old Cast Iron engine where the problems are very minimal and is resolvable by "YOU" most of the time.

You still get the feel of a bullet.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:25   #22
BHPian

Sorry but have to ask this. Why cant you just ride the CBR to work? Is it too cumbersome in traffic? Mileage and maintenance should not be an issue because you would be forking out near 75k for another bike.

The only bike I have ever owned was a splendor and even today I miss the bike for its sheer practicality and trouble free nature. Been out of touch with bikes lately so wondering what the deal is with getting two bikes?
Old 12th September 2012, 11:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Unicorn/Dazzeler are all good but they only do one thing ie. commuting very well. On the other hand the impulse is a light weight (118 kg as opposed to 150 for uni/Dazzler etc), nimble dirt bike which just happens to have a commuter's engine.
Not sure where you got the kerb weight of the Impulse from but it is certainly not 118kg. It is 134 or 136kgs IIRC. This is similar weight of an RTR/FZ while Uni and GS are definitely heavier as you pointed out.

Naveen, Impulse is good for our roads. Did a test ride on a bike which was ill maintained by the service center. The only thing that put me off was the broken plastics and rattles from the test ride bike. Have not had a chance to try a well maintained Impluse. Will let you know if i get a chance to ride one before you do
Old 12th September 2012, 12:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike - 75K - ex-Enfield rider, current CBR rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
I would recommend a Unicorn Dazzler.
----------------------
Hope my reply is helpful.
Has been! Thanks for the insights.

Quote:
At first glance the Impulse may not appeal to many.
----------------------------------
And I dont see it as a major issue even if Hero phases it out. This engine does duty in all 150cc bikes from both hero and honda's stable so parts will be available a plenty. I've planned for such a crisis and just gonna keep a set of 3 chain/sprocket kits and some fork seals for the long run. The rest should be available off the shelf.
Though Hero maybe phasing this out, I don't think it will be a problem for the bike in terms of parts availabilty or service. It will surely be using the same chassis for another bike - put on some stickers and call it another name

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
Considering the above requirements, I would definitely suggest you to buy a TVS Apache RTR 160/180.
Only thing is my height. Love the bike otherwise. Feel it is a little too puny for my frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Do a test ride of the Suzuki GS 150R with an open mind. I think it will suit you to a "T"! Tall bike with a seat like a sofa! A good commutourer is what people call it.
Open mind is really really hard when it comes to the GS 150R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Also another crazy idea would be to check out scooterettes for commuter duties (Activa / Access / Wego) - pretty comfortable and would have some storage for nick-knacks.
No waaaay!! Amigo, am not married, no kids and 33. Don't even want to go down the scooterette road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
From Thunderbird, if you still dont hate RE, i would also look at getting an old Cast Iron engine where the problems are very minimal and is resolvable by "YOU" most of the time.

You still get the feel of a bullet.
No, been there, done that. RE is out! Tired of the name itself. Perhaps a few years down the line, will buy one for namesake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Sorry but have to ask this. Why cant you just ride the CBR to work? Is it too cumbersome in traffic?
Nope, the CBR is a great bike. I have no issues in traffic either. But I want to keep it only for my touring duties. It is also a pain to take the bike on short city shopping trips etc - parking hassles, crazy people scratching the paint, wanting to sit on the bike. Undue attention. It is not a bike for short city rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Naveen, Impulse is good for our roads. Did a test ride on a bike which was ill maintained by the service center. The only thing that put me off was the broken plastics and rattles from the test ride bike. Have not had a chance to try a well maintained Impluse. Will let you know if i get a chance to ride one before you do
Do let me know if you get a chance for a good test ride. Which showroom did you say was the ill-maintained bike? Hopefully not the Domlur one. Was planning to go there for a test ride.
Old 12th September 2012, 12:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike - 75K - ex-Enfield rider, current CBR rider

Quote:
Which showroom did you say was the ill-maintained bike? Hopefully not the Domlur one. Was planning to go there for a test ride.
It was the one on Inner Ring Road opposite to TVS showroom. I think its called Millennium Motors. Very badly maintained bike and you cannot get the real feel of the bike if you test ride that bike.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike for 75,000? Ex-Enfield rider, current CBR rider

Quote:
As you guys can see from my signature, I own a Royal Enfield Thunderbird. I've owned it for close to 7 year now. But I think the time has come for me to sell it. I've had years of good rides on it and even done a ride to Kanyakumari on it. Of late, it has become too unpredictable. I mean this in the sense that I cannot trust it to give me trouble-free performance. Though I own the CBR 250R, I use the TB primarily as a commute to and from office.

Trouble started with some wiring issues a few years back. These were corrected and have had relatively trouble free rides for the past few months. However, I have somehow lost my trust on this bike. And it stayed true to that by just dying on me a few days back on the way to office. I'm simply tired of it giving me trouble and want to get rid of it.

But this is not what this post is about. This post is not about chest-thumping Bullet lovers too. This is not for those people. This is not for people who try and say things like "A Royal Enfield is god" etc. Yes, I was one of you. If you are so interested in the Royal Enfield - please buy the TB from me. PM me for a price.

This post is a post asking for feedback and ideas for a bike that I am planning to buy. As I have mentioned - I already own a CBR 250R for my touring and long rides. Love the bike! I only want a trouble free bike for my daily commute. I don't want to go the lower rungs of the ladder to choose something like a Splendour etc. That is out for me.

1. Budget - hoping for a bike for around ~75K.
2. Primary use - commute to office
3. Looks - good styling - R15 is too much, out!
4. Engine - a decent punch to give me a smile when riding to office too
5. Trouble-free ride with no major known issues
6. Good service centers, customer service
7. Should be a good fit for a 5'11" frame - not too small a bike

These are my main requirements. I have not seriously considered even buying another bike until now so this is kinda new for me. The past few days, I have been looking at some options and was thinking of the FZ-16 FZS. Somehow those were the first bikes to come into my head.

I have not done a test ride of these bikes but might try to. Any known issues with these? Hows the sales and service? What is the on-road price? Will it be a good fit?

Would love to hear what you guys say. Please do keep my requirements in mind before you shoot me down with your ideas

And please - the Royal Enfield is out for me.
Which car do you own? Why not use a car to the office and use the bike a s weekend fun thing? I'd say a car for a daily drive makes super sense. Safe , comfortable and 'no dirt stuck to your face when you get back home'. That's my philosophy.

Down south junta is more conservative in terms of money saving and thus you see a lot more bikes on the road. Mostly to save money. No matter whatever is the official reasoning. However, there is other section of junta down south too which is completely bike enthusiast. I'll ride the bike no matter what coz I love it type. I think you belong to the second category. Up north, the theory is simple, buy a car as soon as you can afford one.

Anyway, to the topic of a second bike: I'd go with the thought of F-16. It may not be the most practical (as reasoned by the folks above) but it feels like a proper no compromise bike. Some of the 150 cc brigade feels 'pure local-chaap' to me. I mean they just look and feel cheap. At least, that's not an issue with F-16.

Or wait...maybe you can look at Bajaj Avenger 220. Not a bad bike . I own the 180 version and its a pretty decent bike (although I don't ride it at all; waiting to buy a 'good bike' you see--> waiting for KTM 350/ settle for CBR250R). You can look at the Avenger as a modern RE with much less oomph but much higher reliability. That way you can own two completely different types of bikes too. What say?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 12th September 2012 at 13:02.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Not sure where you got the kerb weight of the Impulse from but it is certainly not 118kg. It is 134 or 136kgs IIRC. This is similar weight of an RTR/FZ while Uni and GS are definitely heavier as you
Actually i have the same question for u. Where did u see the weight as 134+? All the sites I have seen state it as 118 .I own a duke weighing 126 kgs and the impulse definitely felt lighter than it.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

I agree that Apache is not suitable for your height.

I would recommend Unicorn - reliable, smooth honda engine (important for me to enjoy commuting) and suits your height.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

But Naveen, don't you think Impluse will be too puny for you. Do check out in person.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually i have the same question for u. Where did u see the weight as 134+? All the sites I have seen state it as 118 .
2 sites below which state the kerb weight of 134kgs.

http://www.bsmotoring.com/news/revie...impulse/4121/6

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/2...o-impulse.aspx

But of course there are quite a few sites like krazytech and few more which state the kerb weight to be 118kgs, 119.1 kgs etc.

I also remember fellow BHPians complaining that it is not very light at 130+kgs. Probably bhpians niks devil and Desert king can shed more light on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks