Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 13:37   #31
BHPian

Re: What bike for 75,000? Ex-Enfield rider, current CBR rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
2 sites below which state the kerb weight of 134kgs.

http://www.bsmotoring.com/news/revie...impulse/4121/6

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/2...o-impulse.aspx

But of course there are quite a few sites like krazytech and few more which state the kerb weight to be 118kgs, 119.1 kgs etc.

I also remember fellow BHPians complaining that it is not very light at 130+kgs. Probably bhpians niks devil and Desert king can shed more light on this.
Hmmm . Well i guess the only way we can tell for sure if one of the current owners look it up from the manual. I wouldnt even trust what the RC book says

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 12th September 2012 at 14:05.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest go buy the Impulse with your eyes closed. It has a bullet proof reliable engine, solid chassis, off road credentials and seems niggle free. Also a light high seated bike is very useful when cutting across traffic, offroading credentials help in climbing on no roads, speed breakers, footpaths and other such urban features. High ground clearance is also useful on semi flooded roads, which is a regular urban feature.

You already own a smooth sporty bike (the cbr), and with an offroad bike (the impulse) you should cover most of your riding requirements and thirst for adventure. Only thing missing in the Impulse is power, but heck you dont really need in during city commutes and I am sure you wont take your city bike for touring rides.
With both these bikes in your garage would be the two wheeled equivalent of a smooth sport car + jeep/offoroader/SUV owner. Cheers
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 16:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
It was the one on Inner Ring Road opposite to TVS showroom. I think its called Millennium Motors. Very badly maintained bike and you cannot get the real feel of the bike if you test ride that bike.
Ok, that was where I was planning to go for a test ride. Will have to look elsewhere now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Which car do you own? Why not use a car to the office and use the bike as weekend fun thing?
--------------------------------
However, there is other section of junta down south too which is completely bike enthusiast. I'll ride the bike no matter what coz I love it type. I think you belong to the second category.
I own an 800. But it is just sitting there gathering rust. I am not at all a car person. Yes, "I'll ride the bike no matter what coz I love it type" And no Avenger for me either. Too laid back. Reminds me of the TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

I would recommend Unicorn - reliable, smooth honda engine (important for me to enjoy commuting) and suits your height.
Another one for the Unicorn! Its going to be a close fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
But Naveen, don't you think Impluse will be too puny for you. Do check out in person.
But rk_sans, you mean puny in terms of the engine? Cause the bike isn't puny - has good height a presence - AFAICT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I would suggest go buy the Impulse with your eyes closed. It has a bullet proof reliable engine, solid chassis, off road credentials and seems niggle free. Also a light high seated bike is very useful when cutting across traffic, offroading credentials help in climbing on no roads, speed breakers, footpaths and other such urban features. High ground clearance is also useful on semi flooded roads, which is a regular urban feature.

With both these bikes in your garage would be the two wheeled equivalent of a smooth sport car + jeep/offoroader/SUV owner. Cheers
Good feedback on the bike. The flooding part is also important. The analogy to the cars is interesting!
Old 12th September 2012, 17:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Unicorn Dazzler. I had my friends bike with me and i rode it from Mumbai to Lonavala and back and we had a Fazer for Company. I simply loved the Honda for its simplicity. Excellent handling, good torque, decent price and honda reliability. Me on the Dazzler with Pillion could easily tackle the ghat section where the Fazer without a pillion was struggling.

I have borrowed his Dazzler many a times to drop my gf home and it has never dissappointed. Go for it. The monoshocks and rear disc brakes are real nice as well.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 19:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, don't believe what anyone says. Test ride everything, buy what your heart tells you to buy. That way, you won't have any regrets. So get out there, head to Banashankari 3rd Stage, near Deve Gowda Petrol Bunk. You have all possible companies there, TVS, Bajaj, Yamaha, Suzuki, Hero, Honda et al. Test ride all their bikes within your budget and buy the bike that incites that second look back when you're leaving the showroom!
Old 13th September 2012, 12:19   #36
BHPian

Seriously concerned about Honda Reliability

I own a 2008 unicorn(with silver embossed badge - old engine). It is super reliable. Didn't put me on road for a single day in last 4+ years.

This made me recommend the same bike to my cousin. He got it in 2011 and his friend also bought one!

Both of them had developed suspension problems(front oil leak, stiff mono shock). Also many parts are rusting (exhaust, many nuts, bolts). The engine heatsink now looks like a dalmatian dog - the powder coating is also going away.

Also there are stability issues like it will drive itself sidewise when going over the thick white markers in road - I observed this with tuff up tubes(using new tyres and tubes now - not observing it now)

Also the quality of plastic parts is too low - fades and develop white look(mirrors, switches and bar end mock weights)

It ( was ) one super reliable engine - balance everything is almost crap now a days.

After sales is pathetic - The only thing they do is washing the vehicle! Now I am maintaining and repairing my bike on my own. Even Honda wont reply to emails on complaints. No communication except for auto reply messages.

Last edited by Sedate : 13th September 2012 at 12:23.
Sedate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 12:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I own an 800. But it is just sitting there gathering rust. I am not at all a car person. Yes, "I'll ride the bike no matter what coz I love it type" And no Avenger for me either. Too laid back. Reminds me of the TB.
Ok, so my suggestion is for F16 then. A small but no-compromise bike. Although it was conceived and designed for India, it's not el' cheapo like some others.
Old 13th September 2012, 13:01   #38
BHPian

Test ride FZs and Suzuki GS150R and you will have the answer.
Old 14th September 2012, 03:35   #39
BHPian

Not sure if anyone suggested the Avenger 220. I might be slightly above the budget you quoted but its worth checking once.

Since its going to be your daily drive, I think the driving posture will be more relaxing and wont give you too much stress on your back. You might find it a little low because of your height but I would suggest you to take a test ride at least once.

- r-six
Old 14th September 2012, 10:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Ok, here is my shortlist:

1. Unicorn/Dazzler - looks like most of you suggested I check this out. I have friends who own the Unicorn and have had no issues for years now - have even taken 700 km rides on it. Will surely do a test ride. But only thing that might put me off is the looks

2. Impulse - this was actually a surprising suggestion. This bike did not even venture into my thoughts. Good suggestion though, have read some reviews of the bike - here on Team-BHP even.

3. FZ-16 - My original interest. Need to do a test ride to see if it really is that interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Unicorn Dazzler.
+1 to the Unicorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
To be honest, don't believe what anyone says. Test ride everything
Yes, I intend to do that possibly this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Seriously concerned about Honda Reliability
Well, from my personal experience, I can trust a Honda engine blindly. Remember that I am coming from the Royal Enfield stable - where most horses are lame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Not sure if anyone suggested the Avenger 220.
Someone else did. Not really interested in getting the Avenger. Too much TB styling.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, here is my shortlist:

2. Impulse - this was actually a surprising suggestion. This bike did not even venture into my thoughts. Good suggestion though, have read some reviews of the bike - here on Team-BHP even.
I just read in another thread that Hero is going to phase out Impulse. After sales support will be an issue going forward considering the short time the product was in market, stay away!
Old 14th September 2012, 13:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I just read in another thread that Hero is going to phase out Impulse. After sales support will be an issue going forward considering the short time the product was in market, stay away!
Yes, read about that. Don't think Hero will lets its customers down like that in terms of parts availability but you never know. Will be cautious going down this path now
Old 14th September 2012, 15:21   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, read about that. Don't think Hero will lets its customers down like that in terms of parts availability but you never know. Will be cautious going down this path now
Autocar reported that contrary to media reports Hero is increasing the production of the impulse. Hope that helps in your decision making process.

Link
SASproject is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 18:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASproject View Post
Autocar reported that contrary to media reports Hero is increasing the production of the impulse. Hope that helps in your decision making process.

Link
That is good news indeed. This doesn't outright exclude the Impulse now.
Old 14th September 2012, 23:49   #45
BHPian

*Assuming you are interested in 150+ CC segment.

Unicorn - Seriously old and dull. Just too plain.

Pulsar - Too common and versions/upgrades are confusing at least for me...

Yamaha - Looks interesting but really not sure of the service support part.

TVS Apache - Looks like they ruined the new one with their head lamp treatment - up right head lamp not suited for the rest of the aero-dynamic body design. not sure if the vibrations are totally gone now.

Suzuki GS150 - Neutral bike, you will look like riding a good old pulsar in a mint condition (Due to head lamp viser looks)

CBZ Xtreme - Have owned one. Was totally happy with that. Unicorn in sports trouser Comfortable, Reliable, ease of service by almost any mechanic. Mileage that I usually got was anywhere from 45KMPL to 50KMPL in Bangalore outer ring road traffic in 2009 (That's when fly over constructions were going on - Too much traffic).

Quote:
That is good news indeed. This doesn't outright exclude the Impulse now.
This might be to compensate the phasing out news

If you want exclusivity, then you could very well go with the impulse, who knows it might become a shogun/shoalin story! A classic to preserve.

Hero Motocorp's Impulse is nothing but a Honda NXR 150 Bros and the new one is exactly the same without the kicker and LED tail lamp i guess.

Better go with the crowd, you wont be wrong - Something from Hero(Honda) stable at least for their After Sales Service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks