Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 19:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike for 75,000? Ex-Enfield rider, current CBR rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
1. Hero Impulse - did test ride, yet to decide.
2. Unicorn - did test ride, out of my list.
3. Dazzler - hopefully test ride tomorrow
4. FZ - hmmm, might throw this out of my list too.
I understand the Unicorn getting thrown out. Yes it looks dated and boring. But why is FZ going out without a test ride..?

My guess is the Impulse will win this!
Old 10th October 2012, 22:54   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I understand the Unicorn getting thrown out. ........But why is FZ going out without a test ride..?

My guess is the Impulse will win this!
Yes, the Unicorn is really past its prime. Was/is a great machine, but really boring! No, I will do a test ride of the FZ also - need to see if I can squeeze that in tomorrow also.

Impulse -
Old 10th October 2012, 23:02   #78
BHPian

Even I am juggling between the FZ & the Uni. But I can't see myself spending close to 75 k on the Uni with looks which isn't upgraded at all. I know its a superior machine and It was even when I bought the P150 in 2006! Went with the heart and got the Pulsar! Even today I think that spending around 2.5k more can get me the FZ which is far more modern in looks and presence. I am ready to sacrifice a bit of comfort and mileage . I believe the refreshed FZ's with wider seats must be a bit more comfy.

Even dad would ride the bike occasionally and I can't digest him riding an Impulse!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 10th October 2012 at 23:04.
Old 10th October 2012, 23:09   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Even dad would ride the bike occasionally and I can't digest him riding an Impulse!
Yes, this is the part that doesn't allow me to go outright and decided on the Impulse. Though my Dad won't ride - he will be riding as pillion for short rides and might feel uncomfortable on the Impulse
Old 11th October 2012, 02:18   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is the part that doesn't allow me to go outright and decided on the Impulse. Though my Dad won't ride - he will be riding as pillion for short rides and might feel uncomfortable on the Impulse
If your father does not have a problem hopping onto the pillion seat, then you should be good to go. The seats are surprisingly good. Give it a try at a showroom.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 14:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

Another update. Seems like I am on a roll

Decided to test ride the Impulse here in my hometown too. Guessed that not many people would have test ridden it and atleast the test ride bike would be in good shape. Went off to the showroom and thankfully, they at least had an Impulse on the showroom floor. The floor manager seemed quite knowledgeable and did not push me to look at another bike - unlike in some showrooms in small towns

There was a green Impulse for the test ride. And appreciate the guy for making sure that I had a helmet before getting on the bike. Got on and as mentioned on my last TR, the seating position is comfy. This particular TR bike was in good shape too - slotting of gears was even more confident and the ride more smoother. I took it for around 1km and slotted all gears - nice feel to the ride. When returning back to the showroom, I deliberately took it off the tarmac onto broken patches of road, mud. And that really brought a smile on my face - much like this emoticon - The Impulse really handles road like that beautifully. Like the feel of the brakes too - though the rear brake on this TR bike was a little too worn - too loose - hard to press down hard.

With a smile plastered on my face, I moved on to the Honda showroom to again check if I could do a TR of the Dazzler. Sadly, looks like there is only 1 TR Dazzler in my town and that had been taken to a demo somewhere. I will need to TR this only in Bangalore.

Moved on to the Yamaha showroom to check out the FZ-S and FZ15 in the flesh. Noted the differences between both and there was a FZ15 for TR. Though looked like everyone in the showroom was using it for running errands. In this case, the owner had gone to pick up his daughter from school! Anyways, took this bike also on 1km ride. Comfortable seating - guess it is even better for the pillion. As with Yamaha, gear slotting is very smooth - was reminded of my CBR. And it was very intuitive for me to change gears on this bike as I was shifting it just like I do on the CBR. Takes small curves without flinching - revs up nicely too. Satisfied with the ride quality.

Now, that leaves me with only the Dazzler to check out. But so far, it has been in terms of preference,

1. Impulse
2. FZ15
3. Dazzler - yet to TR
4. Unicorn - out
Old 11th October 2012, 16:08   #82
BHPian

Why you subtracted 1 from the FZ? Its FZ 16 . Anyways, I guess the FZ16 now comes with electric blue color or may be I was not noticing this particular color earlier and Recently saw a new one in that shade. It looked really cool.

Can you elaborate more on the combined comfort of seating/handlebar/foot peg for the FZ & Impulse? Somehow I am not comfortable with forward biased configuration and my wrists pain a lot after a ride. Also I found the seats on my pulsar too narrow and hard for butt comfort. These issues were very well taken care of by the NS200, but it seems its out of budget @ present!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 11th October 2012 at 16:11.
Old 11th October 2012, 16:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why you subtracted 1 from the FZ? Its FZ 16 . Anyways, I guess the FZ16 now comes with electric blue color ...It looked really cool.

Can you elaborate more on the combined comfort of seating/handlebar/foot peg for the FZ & Impulse? Somehow I am not comfortable with forward biased configuration and my wrists pain a lot after a ride. Also I found the seats on my pulsar too narrow and hard for butt comfort. These issues were very well taken care of by the NS200, but it seems its out of budget @ present!
Hahaha, I knew I was doing something wrong there. Yup, the FZ16 it is! Yes, he was elaborating on the colours etc but not sure if he mentioned a new electric blue colour.

As to your question on seating/handlebar/foot-peg configuration for Impulse and FZ, here goes:

Impulse is more like sitting on a Thunderbird - laid back. Handlebars are higher than even the T-Bird (IIRC). Footpegs are more forward than tucked in. What this gives is a feeling of total control - will be easy to manoeuvre in traffic and off-road.

In the FZ, it is a little more tucked in than Impulse. But still comfortable. As I'd mentioned, it was more intuitive for me on the FZ because I'm used to the CBR.

Well, have you tried the CBR and feel it is a more forward stance? I'd agree but it is not as aggressive in stance as say the R15. And the trick to managing riding these bikes is to not put pressure on the wrists/palms - you have to allow your upper body to take more of it. Once you get used to it, it is easy and comfortable. Trust me, I have done 670 kms one way in 9 hours on the CBR.

Oh and the rider seat for the Impulse is a little narrow - guess that is because of its off-roading nature? I am totally not sure how it will fare for longer rides?
Old 11th October 2012, 16:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Impulse
2. FZ15
3. Dazzler - yet to TR
4. Unicorn - out
I think the Dazzler too will be out after the TR since its mostly the old Uni in new clothes albeit slightly lighter and a digital console. The experience will be mostly similar to the Uni.

I see the Impulse's win approaching soon!
Old 11th October 2012, 17:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I see the Impulse's win approaching soon!
Hahaha, well, to me it looks like it but I seriously liked the FZ too. But yes, leaning towards Impulse. I am just hoping that my Thunderbird gets sold for a good price and I can go ahead.
Old 11th October 2012, 22:41   #86
BHPian

I haven't ridden the CBR but sat on a stationary bike in the showroom. Though the seating is forward biased, the seat is pretty wide and overall the bike felt bigger and roomier. This compensated the seating posture and I felt It would be a comfortable bike. In pulsars, the seating is forward biased and the seats are pretty narrow and while riding one can't change the position too often. This exaggerates the discomfort.

Anyways, I used to own a RX100 and have a soft corner for Yamaha. Its better built and has a macho styling. On the other hand, the Impulse is better suited for the rough roads, engine is pretty frugal. Deciding to do test rides soon!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 11th October 2012 at 22:45.
Old 12th October 2012, 21:49   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, the Impulse is better suited for the rough roads, engine is pretty frugal. Deciding to do test rides soon!
Agree about the CBR seating position being comfortable. It is even for long rides. Yes, my Impulse will mostly be used in the city. And I've read people getting 45 or so to the litre. Anyways, my CBR is there for long hauls.

And in the corner of my mind is a strong urge to take it to Leh next year - the Impulse that is!
Old 12th October 2012, 23:12   #88
BHPian

Went to the Hero and Yamaha showrooms. Leave aside the TD, the guy @ the Hero dealership talked as if I was there to get some donation. When inquired about the impulse, I was told rudely that the On road price is 76***/-. . As if I went to a vegetable market and asked about the rate of potato/kg. Anyways decided to check the display bike of my own. I must admit that the look brought a smile on my face. I had never seen such a thing before. Sat on it and felt that the seat is very soft (may become problematic on long hauls) and is pretty narrow for my liking. The handle fell into the hands pretty well and the foot peg placement was OK. When I compared the comfort level with the pulsar, apart from the handle placement, the seats and foot pegs felt the same.So for me, there wasn't any major improvement. The weld marks below the side panels appeared as a sore thumb. After the pulsar the tank size felt pretty small. Overall I felt its a good city bike if those weld marks and soft/narrow seats are kept apart.

At the Yamaha Showroom the FZ was still unavailable. So no question of TD.

Overall I felt that no one wants to sell me a bike . Rode to the bajaj ASSC and got the carb serviced. Also decided to overhaul the front forks and replace both tyres. Somehow I felt @ home at the Bajaj.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 12th October 2012 at 23:14.
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty much set on getting the Impulse.

My only hurdle is the Thunderbird. I need to sell it off before I can put the cash on the Impulse. Have got some offers and hopefully will be sold off soon.

A friend from my Bullet Club is also jumping to the Impulse band-wagon. Hoping we can do Leh next year on our bikes!
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty much set on getting the Impulse.
Congrats! So Impulse won the battle eh! You will love it on the leh roads with the SUV like seating and suspension. You must have already seen the videos posted by Niks_devil in the Impulse thread where he has taken the impulse to leh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks