Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 20:53   #136
BHPian

re: KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg

I haven't riddden it yet. Are KTM dealers offering test rides?

The sound of the bike was quite pathetic though. My 390 will get an Akrapovic (or similar) exhaust on it as soon as something becomes available.

Last edited by Harbir : 21st November 2012 at 20:56.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:24   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post

The sound of the bike was quite pathetic though.
Yes they do offer test rides. Hope you like the bike's performance as much as we do

I love the sound however. Akrapovic makes it too bassy for my liking. To each his own
Old 21st November 2012, 23:20   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The sound of the bike was quite pathetic though. My 390 will get an Akrapovic (or similar) exhaust on it as soon as something becomes available.
Mine too

It also helps in beefing up the looks a little, (beefed up look)which is one of my criteria that will not be fulfilled with this bike. But I like the way the bike looks! The KTM certainly sounds very different to anything available in the market anywhere around the world.

For sheer sound try Triumph Street Triple or Ducati Monster
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:44   #139
BHPian

I don't know that it sounds all that different. It just sounds like a small capacity single cylinder 4 stroke, like a scooter engine with a bit more attitude than it would have in a scooter.

My ZX-12R had an akro full exhaust on it, and my Ducati had Termignoni. Aural ecstasy, particularly when either bike was going balls-to-wall WFO at its top speed.

For the KTM 390 I would only hope for a bit more authority and rasp, than the scootery sound that is typical of small 4 stroke singles and twins (ninja 250, CBR250, Rebel 250, etc). I don't expect it though.

And yes, the triumph triples make an incredible noise. Worth owning just for the noise they make when fitted with the Arrow exhaust from the triumph accessories catalog
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:47   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes of course all dealers offer test rides bro. Though its been almost a year since the launch so I do not know if that's still the case.

There is an Akrapovic already available as "official" KTM (I think they own part or whole of Akrapovic) after market fitment - shared by both the 125 and the 200.

Seeing as the 390 looks exactly the same, I'm sure it will be possible to fit the same on to it.

Negligible gains over stock though without a remap, de-snorkeling, and a better air filter.

And it will not have the "submarining" ability of the present stock system.

Plus, while the weight difference will be negligible, you wil lose the central mass dynamics of the bike with the stock exhaust.

KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg-ktmduke125_200akrapovicexhaust_02.jpg
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:30   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sound of the bike was quite pathetic though.
The 200 sounds like a 2-stroke auto and the 390 sounds like a 4 -stroke auto (as is apparent from the video) and it does sound a bit different in a not so nice way when you see the bike go by.

But, when you are riding the scream just puts a big wide grin on your face, at least that is the case with the 200

With the 390 it might be a wider grin.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:19   #142
Senior - BHPian

Frankly I like the sound a lot, especially in the mad dash up the rev range in each gear.

Which other Indian bike besides the Bullet even makes a sound?
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:55   #143
BHPian

I would have liked the 390 Duke to have a linkage on the swing arm instead of being directly bolted to the spring/damper. But I guess thats expecting too much. Next I'll be looking for adjustable preload and independent adjustment in compression and damping damping rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Frankly I like the sound a lot, especially in the mad dash up the rev range in each gear.

Which other Indian bike besides the Bullet even makes a sound?
At present, none. but the RX100 and the RD350 sounded very sweet indeed, as did the Jawa/Yezdi. Even the bullet doesn't sound as anywhere near good as it used to in the bad old days before it was forced to become more mechanically refined to survive.

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd November 2012 at 18:58.
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:12   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would have liked the 390 Duke to have a linkage on the swing arm instead of being directly bolted to the spring/damper. But I guess thats expecting too much. Next I'll be looking for adjustable preload and independent adjustment in compression and damping damping rates.
There are cheaper Indian bikes that already have the linked rear monoshocks. From what I've read about KTM's, till very recently, they did not move to linked, and even now, their "linkage" (trademarked as the "linkless" PDS, and the newer more "traditional" SX) is very different to traditional ones like in the Hondas. And this is only their competition bikes and larger Dukes.

If anything, the front fork seals giving way are the current headache for KTM on the Duke 200, so hope that's taken care of first.

Quote:
At present, none. but the RX100 and the RD350 sounded very sweet indeed, as did the Jawa/Yezdi. Even the bullet doesn't sound as anywhere near good as it used to in the bad old days before it was forced to become more mechanically refined to survive.
Yup, I agree. We Indians have become louder, and our bikes softer. The bike in my avatar is my still unapologetically mechanically raw (and pretty loud) std 500.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd November 2012 at 19:36.
Old 26th November 2012, 17:49   #145
Senior - BHPian

KTM website says that the Duke 390 will soon be launched in India. Please peruse the below link:

http://www.ktm.com/in/naked-bike/390...ighlights.html

Old 4th December 2012, 13:02   #146
BHPian

KTM global CEO Stefan Pierer has said that the faired and touring versions of Duke 390 are in development.
neerajpv87 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 17:56   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87
KTM global CEO Stefan Pierer has said that the faired and touring versions of Duke 390 are in development.
excellent news. seems like ktm are savvy to the market buzz and demand. great gesture
Old 4th December 2012, 18:22   #148
BHPian

thank god. I really badly want a modern touring bike, which is available at a decent price. The tank range and posture on the KTMs was dissappointing on that front.

That said, I honestly never thought that the way an engine is tuned will make too much difference to the touring capacities - the riders adjust to the nature of engine much faster than they adjust to the posture, or suspension.

So, then again. Please KTM! The 50% of RE market is yours for the taking if you start getting your touring models in here. And we are Indians, we don't need your 1000cc touring bikes (though that would also be welcome), we just want reliable non-fussy touring bikes, which can go at a high clip over long distances, carrying loads of stuff.
Old 4th December 2012, 23:15   #149
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am a lil mixed up after hearing the interview from Stefan Pierer. He talks about that the next one is a fully faired version.
Does that mean that the Duke 390 is not coming? Or does that mean that a fully fared version is also under development and will be the next in line to complement the Duke 390?
Though I love naked bikes, I will also appreciate the fully faired version of the 390, especially if it looks even half similar to the RC8.
BTW, please clear my confusion..I've been waiting for the 390 for a while since I want something more powerful than 200 cc, 25 bhp. To me, the D390 was exactly what the doctor ordered. Is it not coming? Can somebody interpret SP quotes for me? Any inside news?

QUOTES

"Q: Speaking of what is expected from this alliance now, you launched the KTM Duke in India, it has met with a lot of success, what about the 125cc because that is being exported from here to Europe. It has done extremely well for you and is largely responsible for the kind of volume growth that you have seen. Are we likely to see that in India anytime soon or is it too close to the Pulsar territory?

A: The 125cc is a very specific displacement for the European market because that is more or less the moped class. You can ride it at the age of 16 and that’s a very European style. For India, I can expect 180cc, 190cc and not a 125cc. We expect additional displacements, the 390cc is coming which is a full faired version and the so called tour purpose version. By the end, we have a full model range where we can settle in all these and especially the Asian markets."

"Q: How soon can we see the next KTM-Bajaj launch for India?

A: Next, we expect a full flared 390cc and may be a 200cc motorcycle. We are also thinking to make one step lower, below 200 cc, 180cc or 190cc to make more price competitive models. There are so many units

Q: What is the timeline that we are talking of?

A: We are talking about somewhere between 12 to 18 months. Every six months something will come."

"Q: The next time you are going to be here in India, are you going to be at the launch of the 180cc, 190cc or the 390cc?

A: I always like to come to India. It doesn't matter which model we are launching. For sure, the next plan is full flared."

What does the above mean? Soure : http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/spe..._790091-3.html

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 4th December 2012 at 23:28.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:16   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

I am a lil mixed up after hearing the interview from Stefan Pierer. He talks about that the next one is a fully faired version.
Does that mean that the Duke 390 is not coming? Or does that mean that a fully fared version is also under development and will be the next in line to complement the Duke 390?
Though I love naked bikes, I will also appreciate the fully faired version of the 390, especially if it looks even half similar to the RC8.
BTW, please clear my confusion..I've been waiting for the 390 for a while since I want something more powerful than 200 cc, 25 bhp. To me, the D390 was exactly what the doctor ordered. Is it not coming? Can somebody interpret SP quotes for me? Any inside news?

QUOTES

"Q: Speaking of what is expected from this alliance now, you launched the KTM Duke in India, it has met with a lot of success, what about the 125cc because that is being exported from here to Europe. It has done extremely well for you and is largely responsible for the kind of volume growth that you have seen. Are we likely to see that in India anytime soon or is it too close to the Pulsar territory?

A: The 125cc is a very specific displacement for the European market because that is more or less the moped class. You can ride it at the age of 16 and that’s a very European style. For India, I can expect 180cc, 190cc and not a 125cc. We expect additional displacements, the 390cc is coming which is a full faired version and the so called tour purpose version. By the end, we have a full model range where we can settle in all these and especially the Asian markets."

"Q: How soon can we see the next KTM-Bajaj launch for India?

A: Next, we expect a full flared 390cc and may be a 200cc motorcycle. We are also thinking to make one step lower, below 200 cc, 180cc or 190cc to make more price competitive models. There are so many units

Q: What is the timeline that we are talking of?

A: We are talking about somewhere between 12 to 18 months. Every six months something will come."

"Q: The next time you are going to be here in India, are you going to be at the launch of the 180cc, 190cc or the 390cc?

A: I always like to come to India. It doesn't matter which model we are launching. For sure, the next plan is full flared."

What does the above mean? Soure : http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/spe..._790091-3.html
Yes there will be a D390 in the 'Street Fighter' avatar. The video released to the press more than confirms that. Considering how well the Indian market has taken to the D200, we can be sure KTM will be bringing the 390 in this avatar for sure.

As for the Fully-faired bike, the interview makes it clear that they are definately considering one for the Indian market too. We could also expect the D200 to get similar treatment.

Here is a picture of the D390 from the related thread on Bike Wale.

Here is the link to the article.
Article

I hope that answers all your questions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks