Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 19:49   #31
BHPian

re: KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
YES, a pillion seat is what's missing in the 200, and I doubt the 390 will be much of an improvement either, given what the Zigwheels article says. The 200 is a good tourer as we saw some of our fellow bullet buddies on KTMs zoom from bangalore to kodai in much lesser time than we could manage on bullets. But it is strictly for a single rider.

I guess I can understand your point. Wifey likes the backrest and modified seat (broad, at 10 inches) and she has done long rides (2000 kms) and sometimes even a single-day ride of 500 km + with me. Can't see her doing that on a faster but uncomfortable bike (uncomfortable for the pillion).

So, what is the option for those who have a budget of around 3 lakhs and want to tour with our wives? ST-7 is too low and too expensive, plus it has a lot of tacky chrome and Gangnam-style Korean bling. *** is a total suspect because by the time you ride from Delhi to Bangalore, the ownership of the company might have changed! Enfields are Enfields, and can't impress you beyond a point. Reliability is a big issue. Thunderbird 500? A bigger Avenger with more comfortable seating for the pillion?The only affordable alternative is a Karizma, which is underpowered. Will the KTM 390 answer our prayers? Or will it be a bigger-capacity Impulse?

Till then, an Enfield it is.

WOOW You said it all mate. The whole Indian Sport Tourer reality is here in your write-up.

Hopefully the 390 should be the answer for the tourers with enthusiast wifey. But would not a Yamaha Fazer 250/600 solve it (if its launched though).
Old 29th October 2012, 20:21   #32
BHPian

Here is a spy pic

Source: Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg-duke.jpg  

Aston.Martin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 21:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston.Martin View Post
Here is a spy pic

Source: Facebook
That is the spy pic of 1190 super duke.
Source: Link
samschenker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 22:32   #34
BHPian

I created a thread for Pulsar 375 as well. Am eagerly awaiting this launch.
Loads of news round the corner about Duke/pulsar 375 , Ninja 300 CBR 500

Looks like exciting time as ahead.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Almost forgot the news that I had to share. Yesterday, I watched Rajiv Bajaj's interview on some business news channel. He talked at length about the company's plans and market share positions etc. In the end, the host asked him about the product road maps of the various products in the Bajaj lineup, especially the KTM lineup.

To this, Rajiv Bajaj reiterated that KTM will lauch one 'completely new' product each year. About the 2013 launch, he said: ' There will be the KTM 390 coming up early in the year, but I suspect that they may launch more than one product next year.' Dunno what that means but could we be looking at a derivative of the 390 platform? What about a fully faired version of the same (sporting RC-8 type look)

Anyway, I am more interested in the Duke 390 as I like naked bikes. I think the Nov launch rumour for the global market could be true. That be the case, not too long to go then

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 30th October 2012 at 12:12.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:11   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, what is the option for those who have a budget of around 3 lakhs and want to tour with our wives?
CBR 250R. Can ably tour two up & cruise at 100+kmph all day/night. One of my friend from Delhi tours with his wife on this & mighty satisfied with it.

A bit expensive, but the Ninja 650R ticks the boxes as well.

Maybe an year down the line, I can update you on this aspect
Old 31st October 2012, 10:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
So, what is the option for those who have a budget of around 3 lakhs and want to tour with our wives? ST-7 is too low and too expensive, plus it has a lot of tacky chrome and Gangnam-style Korean bling. *** is a total suspect because by the time you ride from Delhi to Bangalore, the ownership of the company might have changed! Enfields are Enfields, and can't impress you beyond a point. Reliability is a big issue. Thunderbird 500? A bigger Avenger with more comfortable seating for the pillion?The only affordable alternative is a Karizma, which is underpowered. Will the KTM 390 answer our prayers? Or will it be a bigger-capacity Impulse?

Till then, an Enfield it is.
With a budget of around 3 lacs, its difficult to look beyond the Ninja 250r. Nothing really comes close today.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:56   #38
BHPian

I'm mentally,a disturbed man these days.

You see,i currently own a ZMR which has served me well over the past year and a half.Absolutely no issues faced and did its job well.But i've now decided to bid farewell to it and graduate to quarter litre+ class.And that is where my problem starts.

Problem - Choosing between KTM Duke 390,
Kawasaki Ninja 300 and
Honda CB500.

Yes,the bikes are far from being launched and i dont see it happening in the next couple of months either!Heck,i donno what the Duke 390 even looks like or if the CB500 will make it to our shores!!!!
But i'm so engrossed in thinking bout each one everyday that its hampering my work and my relationship with friends and family!!!All i do is spend countless hours on the net browsing for possible spy pictures and that one point which could help me choose my steed from the lot (yes,even before they are launched!!!!).

I donno what to do as of now and i'm sure i will NOT know what to do when all the three hit the streets.

Just thought i will share my anxiety and frustration with my fellow BHPians(by far the best people who will understand my situation)!!!!!.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 20:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I'm mentally,a disturbed man these days.

You see,i currently own a ZMR which has served me well over the past year and a half.Absolutely no issues faced and did its job well.But i've now decided to bid farewell to it and graduate to quarter litre+ class.And that is where my problem starts.

Problem - Choosing between KTM Duke 390,
Kawasaki Ninja 300 and
Honda CB500.

Yes,the bikes are far from being launched and i dont see it happening in the next couple of months either!Heck,i donno what the Duke 390 even looks like or if the CB500 will make it to our shores!!!!
But i'm so engrossed in thinking bout each one everyday that its hampering my work and my relationship with friends and family!!!All i do is spend countless hours on the net browsing for possible spy pictures and that one point which could help me choose my steed from the lot (yes,even before they are launched!!!!).
LOL, thats how it is with the whole motorcycle obsession. I was disturbed even when I had the KTM 690 SMC and a DR650 both at the same time. Now I ride a 125cc scooter and I continue to be 'disturbed'
Rash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 21:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post
Now I ride a 125cc scooter and I continue to be 'disturbed'
Man condolences. What happened?!!!!!!!! Are you back in Pune now, or married?
Old 1st November 2012, 22:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL, thats how it is with the whole motorcycle obsession. I was disturbed even when I had the KTM 690 SMC and a DR650 both at the same time. Now I ride a 125cc scooter and I continue to be 'disturbed'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Man condolences. What happened?!!!!!!!! Are you back in Pune now, or married?
All kinds of emotions, really!

What a demotion buddy!!! 125 cc scooter coming from that pedigree What happened to the healthy dose of bikes that you had?
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I think its coz you went all SUPERMOTO on the Indian public... jokes aside a 60+hp single imo is just not streetable on our roads...Too much torque to get you into trouble
Old 2nd November 2012, 03:21   #43
BHPian

It all comes down to pricing ultimately. If bajaj manage below (or indeed roundabout) 2lakhs, they've got a complete winner on their hands. Not to mention the Pulsar derivative, and also, as further explained by Adil in the Zigwheels article, the far-off possibility of a 400cc V-twin! All in all, a mad, complete overhaul of the Indian performance motorcycle scene!

Just the one grouse then - seating comfort for the girlfriend! :-P
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
It all comes down to pricing ultimately. If bajaj manage below (or indeed roundabout) 2lakhs,
With the Duke 200 retailing at almost 1.5L now. How can you expect a bike which approximately makes double the power and has double the CC, to be priced just 30% more?

A more realistic price would be anywhere from 2.7-3.2L!

Last edited by praful : 2nd November 2012 at 09:29.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:44   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With a budget of around 3 lacs, its difficult to look beyond the Ninja 250r. Nothing really comes close today.
While the Ninja 250R is a wonderful Motorcycle, I honestly believe touring two up, the CBR just might prove to be a better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

A more realistic price would be anywhere from 2.7-3.2L!
Planning to upgrade Tripathy Jee?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks