Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 14:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
Am very keen to understand why you would advice against the TB500. Always thought that this was their best ever product that they released in recent times.
He is chasing a Unicorm man. The horse with the horn, not the bike.

There is no such thing like a perfect niggle free Bullet that is mechanically and electrically and structrurally sound, does not make adventitious sounds, and does not require a healthy ranging to obsessively involved interventional ownership experience far removed from any other bike.

Yes, all Bullets.

The TB500 is also a Bullet.

As was the C5 before it.

As was the LB500 before it.

One went to Austria and came back. The other was sent to England before returning.

But the genes remain the same.

Its is a Bullet.

Recognize what you want to buy before wanting to buy it.

And Behram like me is a bawa.

I can tell you it will not be a happy union.

He will be disappointed. He will get angry. And he will fight.

Which will not change a thing. Because his Bullet will remain a Bullet.

In the end it is Behram who will have to change. He will either begin to love the bike and accept it for what it is and will always be.

Or he will sell it. And look towards a more reliable faux classic.

Hence my suggestion for the Bonneville.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th April 2013 at 14:49.
ebonho is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 16:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah, another Black TB500 owner after Insearch. Hats off to your passion for buying a bike which is reknowned for its niggles than its pleasure. But, trust me the pleasure will be the one that will live forever than the niggles. Congratulations

Wish you many happy miles on this beautiful modern ( from their entire range of products atleast) and second-latest offering from RE

Btw, an inane question. What's the FE?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 19:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Behram ji I have been following your distant lust-under-control attraction for the Bullet. If you recall, I sent you a private message on the same some time ago as well. My sincere advice to you. please forget the Bullet. Maybe a Triumph Bonneville or something.
Dear Ebonho - of course I remember your PM very well, I know you are a typical "bawa" like me but sorry I forgot your name so send me one more PM please, I can't find your PM in the inbox. We'll catch up.

In September 12 I had taken my classic fiat for the Pune show at Le Meridien. There I saw six Aprilias, I liked only one out of them, the high end one with the Xenon light. It has become my dream bike. Shreekant Apte who is the dealer is a very dear friend from the MASA rally days. He told me "Behram, buy it yaar"! I wish I had lots of money to buy it, I would not consider buying anything else. It costs more than a bomb, but what a bike!

I like the Bullet because I want it in shining black color with lots of chrome, but the main reason is the "phata phata" noise which comes. I want to put a big bright gaudy red mud flap with a hole in it, with a "satan" monogram with a ring through its nose, with a flagpole on the front mudguard with an orange flag fluttering on it, with number plate written in vernacular language with me riding it with "wankda topi, white shirt, lehenga and Kolhapuri chappal"! Nobody should recognize that I am a Bawa! That's why I want it! Crazy naa?

I guess quality problems will never end with RE. I have a friend who has a fully restored 1986 model Bullet in his house. He has recently spent close to a lakh on it. I am taking your advice and I guess I'll have to do the fancy dress competition with his Bullet only!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 20:14   #19
J.Ravi

Thanks a lot for the kind words, mobike008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What's the FE?
I have not yet checked. I shall calculate based on tankful-to-tankful method and post here later.

Old 25th April 2013, 22:43   #20
BHPian

Congratulations Ravijee! 323 Km ride already!
If your rides take you through Hyderabad anytime, allow me to play the host. By the way I share your passion for the Linea too, and the same Color .

Small issues aside, I have had no mechanical challenges with my Thunderbird as yet, after 3500 odd kilometres of riding. I Wish you a hassle free ownership.

Last edited by Insearch : 25th April 2013 at 22:45.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 07:57   #21
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
Congratulations Ravijee!
Thanks a lot, Insearch.
Quote:
If your rides take you through Hyderabad anytime, allow me to play the host.
Sure, I will let you know well in advance.
Quote:
By the way I share your passion for the Linea too, and the same Color.
[Thunder]Birds of a feather flock together!
Quote:
Small issues aside, I have had no mechanical challenges with my Thunderbird as yet, after 3500 odd kilometres of riding.
I faced some difficulty in bring to the neutral and some sound originating from the chain-guard. Both were rectified during the first service. Now, I could easily shift to neutral and no bothering sound! Thanks Insearch , once again.

Old 26th April 2013, 12:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I like the Bullet because I want it in shining black color with lots of chrome, but the main reason is the "phata phata" noise which comes. I want to put a big bright gaudy red mud flap with a hole in it, with a "satan" monogram with a ring through its nose, with a flagpole on the front mudguard with an orange flag fluttering on it, with number plate written in vernacular language with me riding it with "wankda topi, white shirt, lehenga and Kolhapuri chappal"! Nobody should recognize that I am a Bawa! That's why I want it! Crazy naa?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
You are welcome to check out my 2002 Std 500 anytime bro. Every man should own and ride a Bullet at least once in his life.

Have you ever ridden one? I mean properly? Borrow one and ride it to Mumbai or Panchgani one weekend.

Then lets talk .....

Last edited by ebonho : 26th April 2013 at 12:04.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:33   #23
BHPian

I don't get people coming on others' ownership reports and talking crap about the same bike. Go do it on a bullet bashing thread. Not here. I think the mods need to take action on such members.

Quote:
He is chasing a Unicorm man. The horse with the horn, not the bike.

There is no such thing like a perfect niggle free Bullet that is mechanically and electrically and structrurally sound, does not make adventitious sounds, and does not require a healthy ranging to obsessively involved interventional ownership experience far removed from any other bike.
There is no such thing as a perfect bike. Period.

The UCE Bullets are solid bikes, for the price. I don't think they're over priced. I've owned a classic 500 for over 8 months now, with over 14k kms down. No issues, no niggles, no hassles. I've only maintained the bike regularly, as any bike owner should. Others will disagree, but this is mine and many others' experience.

Quote:
Hence my suggestion for the Bonneville.
You're comparing a bullet to a bonneville. Seriously?

Whew! Now that I've vented, Congrats on the buy Mr. Ravi! Just be sure to take regular care of your motorcycle, and I can assure you miles and miles of pleasure riding her! Have a blast owing this beauty!

Peace
enfield_500 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 12:40   #24
BHPian

I laid my my hand on this beast lately. Man this is worth a bike. i just loved it. But the Service of Velavan Motors is pathetic. I left my bike for service without any problem. when i got it back had wheel alignment problem. and when i asked them, they say that i had to request for a wheel alignment check if there is any problem, they will not check it as a part of standard service.

I am wondering why would i ask them to check something which is fine.
Old 26th April 2013, 13:00   #25
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield_500 View Post
There is no such thing as a perfect bike. Period.
Well-said, enfield_500. Nobody is perfect. Nothing is perfect in this world.
Quote:
Congrats on the buy Mr. Ravi!
Thanks a lot for the wishes and kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
Service of Velavan Motors is pathetic.
Please try company-owned ASS at OMR, Chennai. I am sure you will be happy.

Old 26th April 2013, 16:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Raviji - thanks for your reply, I appreciate. I am a vehicle integration / vehicle test engineer by profession, I work in the automobile industry only. I very well know the reasons behind the "smiles" of service advisors. I will be extremely grateful if you could spend some quality time and dig out the root causes. They are certainly not as simple as lack of lubrication! I cannot not buy till I find the engineering / manufacturing solution. If something happens, who has the time to go and fight!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behramji, the Thunderbird is not a bullet. You will not get the thump thump sound, it sounds like a beefed up Bajaj Caliber at the most. Secondly it revs like a sporty bike and not a thumper. Its better built than other bullets before, either it is because its a new bike or because RE finally have something like quality control, I am not sure.
I have a TB500 which has completed 2000kms now, and for me its niggle free. I dont miss the thumps and the niggles, and the TB is a happy marriage of performance, looks and bullet heritage for me.

If you are looking at an old school thumper you must consider Std 500 or something like that, not the TB.
Old 26th April 2013, 17:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Behramji, the Thunderbird is not a bullet.

If you are looking at an old school thumper you must consider Std 500 or something like that, not the TB.
Don't the present day Std 500 and the thunderbird have the same engine?
Old 26th April 2013, 18:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Don't the present day Std 500 and the thunderbird have the same engine?
Same block I believe, some changes in the friction coating, fuel injection etc. Differently tuned exhaust, the thump is gone. Bike revs far higher, consider revving to hit redline 6.5krpm in 1-4 gears, mantaining 125kmph at 5000rpm in 5th gear, I am not sure if the standard 500 ever managed this.
Also the TB revs easily, which is very unlike a thumper, so I am assuming there are some changes internally to the UCE engine.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 18:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Same block I believe, some changes in the friction coating, fuel injection etc. Differently tuned exhaust, the thump is gone. Bike revs far higher, consider revving to hit redline 6.5krpm in 1-4 gears, mantaining 125kmph at 5000rpm in 5th gear, I am not sure if the standard 500 ever managed this.
Also the TB revs easily, which is very unlike a thumper, so I am assuming there are some changes internally to the UCE engine.
My bone stock Std 500 would tip 130 in 4th gear. No idea what the rpm was.
Old 26th April 2013, 19:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ravi and welcome to the club. You got your thumper after a long long wait. It is good to see people following their hearts and not getting swayed by stereotypes when deciding to buy their rides. May our tribe grow.
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks