Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Handlebar Holder For My Blue Bird & Gloves For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The next in the list is either 12 V charger with switch and fuse or a power bank for energising my navigator!
Sir,
As mentioned earlier in a different thread, I would suggest you to buy a simple cigarette charger and have it tagged to your handle bar. This will be a simple function and I would strongly believe that you can do this by yourself.
Ensure you put a fuse box so that you are not over burdening the battery or electrical. This setup would help you in your proposed Leh trip as well incase you buy an air pump to fix punctures or fill in air by yourself.

Have a good time with the gloves they look very snug though.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:37   #122
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
I would suggest you to buy a simple cigarette charger and have it tagged to your handle bar.
Thanks a lot, ku69rd. I read somewhere that 12 charger would drain the battery. That's why I am hesitating. Hope, if I include a fuse and switch in the circuit, it won't overload the battery. Am I correct?

Old 3rd June 2013, 18:38   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, ku69rd. I read somewhere that 12 charger would drain the battery. That's why I am hesitating. Hope, if I include a fuse and switch in the circuit, it won't overload the battery. Am I correct?
Sir,
Please go ahead with a proper switch. It will not drain the battery for sure. Ensure the fuse is a proper one and you must ensure that the fuse matches with the maximum output required for the air pump.
That ways you will be able to balance it with your requirements without damaging the battery. But it will be prudent that the engine is turned on when you are using the air pump. If you take care of these basics trust me, you will be able to even cook your basic food using the car charger provided you keep a blind eye on the petrol consumption.

With a 20 liter tank, I will not be bothered much
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 07:51   #124
J.Ravi

Quote:
Please go ahead with a proper switch.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply, ku69rd. Yes, I have a 12 V portable compressor bought from amazon for my Linea. Many times, I used it to inflate my Linea's tyres with the engine idling. So far, I have never faced any problem with it. The problem with the power bank is, it won't last long during long trips for hours together. I have to switch it on and off frequently, which is annoying. So, my next project is fixing 12 V charger with fuse and switch on my Blue Bird.

Old 4th June 2013, 11:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, my next project is fixing 12 V charger with fuse and switch on my Blue Bird.
Fantastic Stuff Sir, you are indeed proving to be a DIY Chap.
Keep in mind that you might have to remove the tank for the purpose and ensure you put a plastic jacket around the wires so that they are not hanging in loose. As usual please do put in a detailed photo review for the benefit of others.

Switch can be a simple toggle one so that it does not fail you when you need it the most.

All the best and do PM me your address will try to make it one of these weekends.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 13:11   #126
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Hello Sir,

I have a power bank i got from US, it is a 5000mha battery pack and suits my needs pretty well on long drives, can charge my phone 2.5 times and the standby i have experienced is about 1 week , hope this help in your decision further.
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 13:44   #127
J.Ravi

Quote:
do PM me
Yes, PM'ed. Thanks, once again, ku69rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
5000mha battery pack
Thanks, Jimmy_u. Now, I am thinking of having both 12 V charger and power bank!

Old 6th June 2013, 14:54   #128
J.Ravi

My Blue Bird Flies Across Bangalore

Yesterday and today, my Blue Bird was busy with shopping errands in Sheshadripuram and Malleswaram. I rode my bird in the lanes, bylanes and conservancy lanes behind the Malleswaram cross roads without any difficulty disproving the popular urban myth that 500 cc Royal Enfields were unfit for city ride. My Blue Bird recorded a fuel efficiency of 28.20 kmpl after today's tankful of petrol.

Old 6th June 2013, 15:08   #129
BHPian

Re: My Blue Bird Flies Across Bangalore

Quote:
Yesterday and today, my Blue Bird was busy with shopping errands in Sheshadripuram and Malleswaram. I rode my bird in the lanes, bylanes and conservancy lanes behind the Malleswaram cross roads without any difficulty disproving the popular urban myth that 500 cc Royal Enfields were unfit for city ride. My Blue Bird recorded a fuel efficiency of 28.20 kmpl after today's tankful of petrol.
J Ravi. The Bullet if ridden well can navigate even through the old bangalore streets like Chikpet, Balepet where both human and vehicular traffic is thick. Its always good to wake up the neighbourhood with the thump of the 500 cc engine. By the by it would be helpful if you could share which application or tool you used to measure the mileage? Is it useful for trying the same for Cars as well?
alokgunhal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 15:34   #130
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokgunhal View Post
By the by it would be helpful if you could share which application or tool you used to measure the mileage?
My Blue Bird's multi-information display [MID] does not include fuel efficiency in kmpl. So, the safe bet is tankful-to-tankful method. I got my bird's tank filled upto the brim near Gundlupet, and again, today at HP COCOO, Basaveswara Nagar. The distance ridden between the two tankfuls divided by the number of litres of petrol gave this fuel efficiency figure of 28.20 kmpl. One can also opt for auto-shutoff-to-auto-shutoff instead of filling upto the brim.
Quote:
Is it useful for trying the same for Cars as well?
Yes, the same tankful-to-tankful method can be adopted to cars as well. But, my Linea's MID includes fuel efficiency in kmpl. So, I normally go by that figure as I consider it to be more accurate than the tankful-to-tankful method, which is susceptible to the possible meter-tampering by petrol pump guys that could change the fuel efficiency.
  (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 15:50   #131
BHPian

[QUOTE The distance ridden between the two tankfuls divided by the number of litres of petrol gave this fuel efficiency figure of 28.20 kmpl.[/quote]

Thank you for this easy way of recording the mileage on one's bike or car. In these trying times it does help to know how much we are getting out of the fuel we are putting in. I also agree that HP COCO and BP COCO are the best places to tank up. I have observed that the performance of the car has dropped when i refueled at a Indian Oil PP.

Alas I do not have the MID on my car and will use the tankful to tankful method to record the fuel efficiencies.
alokgunhal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 18:56   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokgunhal View Post
[QUOTE The distance ridden between the two tankfuls divided by the number of litres of petrol gave this fuel efficiency figure of 28.20 kmpl.
Thank you for this easy way of recording the mileage on one's bike or car. In these trying times it does help to know how much we are getting out of the fuel we are putting in.[/quote]

For bikes if you have the good ol tap, then you can follow the reserve to reserve mechanism if you are not keen on doing the tankful to tankful method. But certain bikes might throw up inconsistencies because of construction of tank.
Old 6th June 2013, 19:30   #133
Senior - BHPian

Tankfull tot tankful, after adequate shaking to make sure all nooks and crannies and dead spaces are taken care of (Dilip Bam has a more colorful description of the same ....) is the most accurate method on a bike.

For my Baleno, which does not have a low fuel warning, I use the position of the needle and when it comes back to hit red - been prety accurate for me.

Ditto for my Zen.

For my Storme, been using amber light to amber light till now. And getting consistent results (10-11 kmpl).

On a std 500, with a 1.25 L reserve, when you hit reserve, you do not fool around, but make a beeline for the nearest petrol pump.

Or you learn quickly when you need to push a 200 kilo bike all the way home through deserted roads at 2 a.m. .....
Old 11th June 2013, 13:04   #134
J.Ravi

Bangalore To Chennai

My Blue Bird took me to my Chennai Royapettah home safely and comfortably by 11:45 am today. I left my Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 4:45 am today. I took my first break of 10 minutes at Chittoor bypass after riding 190 km in about 2.5 hours. The next break of 40 minutes was for breakfast at Sangeetha's located near Chennasamudram toll plaza.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-3.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-4.jpg

I wore my Cramster jacket throughout my ride including the ride from Porur to home under scorching sun of Chennai! I found my Cramster all-weather gloves were more comfortable than the water-proof Technic gloves presented by my friend.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-5.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-6.jpg

My Blue Bird's digital display started reminding me of the next service although it is 1000 km/1 month away!

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-7.jpg
  (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 17:03   #135
J.Ravi

Re: Bangalore To Chennai

Quote:
My Blue Bird's digital display started reminding me of the next service although it is 1000 km/1 month away!
Now, the service reminder icon is gone. I turned the ignition on; pressed both select and set buttons for more than 3 seconds; turned the ignition off, and then, on again while keeping the buttons pressed; the service reminder icon is gone for now. I don't know, when it would bother me again before the scheduled second free service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks