Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2016, 14:40   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
It's selfie time with Blue Bird.
Looks like the bike got a very good bath followed by a massage

Congrats on the milestone, what are your long term intentions with the TB?
Would be interested to know on what basis you arrive at a bike good enough to continue the service or sell it
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 20:05   #872
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Looks like the bike got a very good bath followed by a massage
Yeah, MK. After the GQ ride, B Bird had a nice wash and waxing at the cost of my few hundred kcals. With the new battery, B Bird started chirping in the very first cranking on 2 May 2016 early morning after being in hibernation for more than a month.
Quote:
Congrats on the milestone, what are your long term intentions with the TB?
Thanks. Now that the GQ ride is successfully completed, my next target is to ride to the Himalayas via the North-South corridor. Actually, two plans - one each for Thunderbird 500 and XUV 500 - are ready. I have to fill in the dates! Lemme see, when it becomes a reality.
Quote:
Would be interested to know on what basis you arrive at a bike good enough to continue the service or sell it
As long as B Bird remains trouble-free, I wish to keep it. I don't have immediate plans to sell it. Perhaps, I may reconsider my decision, when Royal Enfield launches a super bike >500 cc or Mojo gets ABS.
  (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 13:36   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
. With the new battery, B Bird started chirping in the very first cranking on 2 May 2016 early morning after being in hibernation for more than a month.
Still envy your physical fitness at that age Sirji
Not sure if you have a trickle charger at home, if you not using the B Bird regularly it will be a fantastic Option to own.

Will be all eyes on your threads to read your journeys...
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 10:42   #874
BHPian

Waiting for your Bluebirds' Himalayan adventure Tlog sir. Slightly OT, can you please say about the cruising ability of a TBTS 350, if you have ridden one? About it's ability to munch miles. Planning for 350 because of Mileage constraints
Old 28th May 2016, 15:03   #875
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
can you please say about the cruising ability of a TBTS 350, if you have ridden one? About it's ability to munch miles.
I did test-rides of Electra 350/Classic 500/Desert Storm/Thunderbird 500 before buying the last one. Thunderbird 350 is also equally competent and comfortable cruiser with the smaller carbureted engine, all others remaining the same. Please go ahead.
  (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 13:28   #876
BHPian

Having a similar bad experience with TB500 and battery here :(
Had a good sweat trying to bring back my TB500 unused for near 3 months, seems like the black bike has become a white walker!

Keying on doesn't even turn on meter console lights.
Tried kicking, rolling down slope with 2nd gear, nothing seems to bring it back to life. I don't even hear the fuel pump (duh!).

Any other ideas I might have missed out?
Any ideas what size allen key would I require to remove it's battery?
Old 4th June 2016, 18:23   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
Any other ideas I might have missed out?
Any ideas what size allen key would I require to remove it's battery?
Mate looks like your battery is undercharged or dead which is why it is not providing enough cranking power besides not operating the EFi and other electronics/electrical as well.

You have two options. One is to jump start the battery using a fully charged donor battery or a battery jumper unit. Option two is to remove the battery from its housing(No you do not need an allen key to access the battery). The battery is located on the left side and can be accessed by opening the left side cover on which Thunderbird 500 is written. This cover is locked/unlocked using the key. Once the cover is removed use a flat screwdriver to open the two screws holding the black metal bracket. After this pull the battery outside gently and remove the terminal connection wires which are held by screws one on either side. Voila your battery is removed and can be given for charging. You can call a battery guy to open and access the battery and ask him to charge it.

Note there is a coil which is next to the battery be careful while dismounting the battery so as to not pull it out accidentally.

Hope this helps.
Old 4th June 2016, 18:39   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
(No you do not need an allen key to access the battery). The battery is located on the left side and can be accessed by opening the left side cover on which Thunderbird 500 is written. This cover is locked/unlocked using the key. Once the cover is removed use a flat screwdriver to open the two screws holding the black metal bracket.
Somehow I don't see a screw that takes a flat screwdriver! The metal bracket is held by a screw that takes a key and terminals have the kind of you screw you said.
Guess someone screwed a wrong screw in RE ASS when I gave it to service last time :(

Is there a "doorstep" battery service in Bengaluru?
Old 4th June 2016, 23:57   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

It may be that the screw has been replaced but more likely, it is a Phillips head screw.

If so, look at the screw driver supplied with the motorcycle.
Usually, the steel shank will easily pull out of the handle and on the opposite end from the straight blade will be a Phillips type screwdriver.

Just stick the shank back into the handle with the Phillips type end exposed and you should be in business.
Old 5th June 2016, 10:18   #880

Hi, need one help. ..I have been driving very little on my TB 500, just around a 1000 km in the full year :(. When I switch on the key, all instrument comes up but the electronic start button does not work and a battery weak sign is displayed in the instrument cluster. I am able to kick start the bike. Any suggestions on how to handle this. I am assuming that with some driving battery will get charged. Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 00:07   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps a few good, long, high speed rides will recharge your battery but if it is presently too weak to start the engine or even activate the starter motor it may take quite a bit of riding.

Riding at slow speeds will do little to recharge the battery because the alternator doesn't produce very much electricity at very low speeds.

Although it can be somewhat dangerous and in some locations, against the law, riding with just the parking lights on but the headlight turned off will provide more power to recharge the battery faster.

Many of you know this but some may not realize that a motorcycle or automobile battery will lose it's charge just sitting there doing nothing.

This is why it is a good idea to invest in a small, low power battery charger, often called a "float charger", designed to maintain the charge, if you don't use the vehicle often.

http://www.ruralking.com/12v-auto-ba...FQaUfgodTewJHw

Those considering using a battery charger must never use a setting that will produce over 2 amps of power with a motorcycle battery.
The "float chargers" power is well below this but a charger made to actually recharge a low or dead battery need to be aware of this fact.
Also, a true battery charger (not a float charger), when it is turned on, even at its lowest setting should not be left connected to the battery for long periods of time.

Over charging a battery can be just as bad for it as leaving it undercharged.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 17:32   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
This is why it is a good idea to invest in a small, low power battery charger, often called a "float charger", designed to maintain the charge, if you don't use the vehicle often.

http://www.ruralking.com/12v-auto-ba...FQaUfgodTewJHw

Those considering using a battery charger must never use a setting that will produce over 2 amps of power with a motorcycle battery.
The "float chargers" power is well below this but a charger made to actually recharge a low or dead battery need to be aware of this fact.
Also, a true battery charger (not a float charger), when it is turned on, even at its lowest setting should not be left connected to the battery for long periods of time.

People from India, any sources for something like this or any other battery tender?
Old 7th June 2016, 09:52   #883
J.Ravi

Blue Bird's Flights At A Glance

It's time to look back at the major rides of Blue Bird.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-collage2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-29.jpg

1. Bangalore>Mysore>Gopalaswamy Hill & Back

2. Bangalore>Chitradurga Fort>Vani Vilasa Sagara Dam>Bangalore

3. Chennai>Kanniyakumari>Chennai Within 25 Hours

4. Chennai>Aliyar/Sholayar Dams>Charpa/Athirapilly Falls>Chennai Within 28 Hours

5. Chennai>Kodaikanal>Chennai [1,140 km] Within 24 Hours!

6. Chennai>MetturDam>Ooty>Chennai In 24 Hours

7. Chennai>Gandikota>Belum Caves>Chennai Within 23 Hours

8. Golden Quadrilateral

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-screenshot_20160227102016523.jpeg

For the first time, I have prepared two sets of detailed plans/itineraries - one each for Thunderbird 500 and XUV 500 - for my next mega ride/drive. Whoever wins the race, it will only win by a nose!
  (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 21:24   #884
BHPian

I dont mean to hijack Ravi Sir's thread here, but this seems to be a thread visited by most Thunderbird owners, hence posting my question here.

Is it possible to reduce the height of a thunderbird? Why - cause my wife also wants to ride one, and its too tall for her.

The good thing is that the seat is removable - so, the question is, is there any seat available in the market that is a couple of inches lower?
Old 10th July 2016, 01:19   #885
BHPian

It may be a little tricky to lower the seat by mechanical means.

I would suggest that you can reduce the saddle height by reducing by getting some of the seat's foam removed with help of a local cushioning shop.
That 's what I did for my Standard Uce.

Alternatively you can buy a thinner seat. They are available online too.

Cheers!
bulletboy76 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks