Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2016, 16:58   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! Sir, I was looking forward to someone comparing a ride report between these two big guys, and here you have it! This must be posted on the himalayan thread or better still the mods must carve out a separate thread out for this post.

I am looking at a daily commute motorcycle and am veering between the mojo and the himalayan... I hear the mojo with abs is due out in april.

Between the two, as far as city rideability and suspension is concerned, which one do you prefer? I think overall finesse has to go to the mojo,by the looks of it.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 17:04   #842
J.Ravi

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I hear the mojo with abs is due out in april.
If not this April, atleast by next year, according to the sales executive of Alfa Motors, Bangalore.

Quote:
Between the two, as far as city rideability and suspension is concerned, which one do you prefer?
My vote goes to Mojo.

Quote:
I think overall finesse has to go to the mojo,by the looks of it.
Yes. The icing on the cake is Pirelli tubeless tyres.

Old 17th March 2016, 18:03   #843
BHPian

@J.Ravi
Sir the windshield of the Himalayan to me looks only for aesthetic purposes. Do you think it will serve any functional purpose on our T-bird if we install it?
Old 17th March 2016, 18:04   #844
BHPian

Thanks to all who tested and reviewed this bike.I am in Market for a ADV bike to be used solely for "Himalyan" runs like Sach pass, Leh etc.

My question to all, can this take almost 40-50deg inclines of Sach pass with 2 up and Luggage from a stand still? I am just concerned about lack of low end grunt as reported

-Ijeet

I wanted to post this in the Himalyan thread, don't know how i reached here ::Confused:: Still Ravi sir, can you reply?

Last edited by ijeet : 17th March 2016 at 18:06.
Old 17th March 2016, 20:00   #845
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
Do you think it will serve any functional purpose on our T-bird if we install it?
I need a windshield mainly to protect and prevent my navigator from flying out of the handlebar holder during high speeds during highway cruising. I think Himalayan's windshield will serve that purpose very well by deflecting the wind away from the navigator.

Old 17th March 2016, 20:18   #846
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Tale Of Two Bikes: Himalayan & Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post

Cons:

* No kick-starter.

* Fixed headlamp on the frame.

* Gear-shifter does not have heel-pusher.

* Carburettor-engine. No electronic fuel injection.

* No ABS.

* Single horn.

Perhaps, Himalayan is suitable for the Himalayan rides and off-roading only and definitely not meant for city-commuting and highway cruising, IMO.

Maybe, Mojo will succeed my Thunderbird 500; but not in the near future.
Chief,
I like the way you have summarized your views on the Himalayan.
However I would like to disagree with you over a few points that you have mentioned.

No Kick Starter --> Majority of the current bikes do not have a kick starter. The Mojo, KTMs, Pulsar AS, R15 the list can go on. Only when RE comes up with a no kicker why are we castrating them

Fixed headlamp --> The CBR also comes with fixed headlamp and honestly it will not matter when you are taking turns once you get a hang of it.

Gear Shifter --> For an adv tourer there is a reason why they are not fitted with heel shifters. When you stand and ride you should not be wrongly slotting an upshift making you lose of the torque in slippery conditions which can make the bike stall

Carburettor-engine --> Its easy to use and is a very important DIY tool when you are stranded. Knowing your industrial nature, I will not be surprised if you end up tuning the carb yourself (Sorry if this is a personal take but I meant in a positive note)

No ABS --> Yes agree with you for the speeds it can achieve they should have given ABS with switch feature. That should help the rider decide when he wants ABS or not. Off Road conditions, you do not need ABS

Single horn --> Its quite load and on the contrary it will reduce noise pollution (yes am cheek with this but we Indians are very proud to keep honking)

I respect your thoughts and hence am inclined to know your answers.

Mojo is a good bike nevertheless but Himalayan can do all what the mojo can do and still go a step further by being an able offroader.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 21:38   #847
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mojo is a good bike nevertheless but Himalayan can do all what the mojo can do and still go a step further by being an able offroader.
It's something like love at first sight. It happened with my Thunderbird 500. It didn't happen in case of Himalayan! Since I am not interested in off-roading, Mojo is enough for me as the probable successor to my bird.
  (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 00:51   #848
BHPian

I had just posted in the Himalayan thread for a comparison with the TB 500.
Tgen came to your thread sir.

Thanks for your input. Suggest, as someone else did too, please add your points there too.

Also, successor to your TB? Blasphemy!
Old 18th March 2016, 09:29   #849
Senior - BHPian

Need guidance on squealing sound from rear disc brake and poor response after rim setting and water wash.

Front was also poor but improved after few miles of ride and braking. Rear brakes are still not confidence inspiring while tested today morning also.
Old 18th March 2016, 12:29   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's something like love at first sight. It happened with my Thunderbird 500. It didn't happen in case of Himalayan!

Ha Ha that was a very good yorker
Appreciate your honest response chief...have a good weekend.

Do let me know when you are in Bangalore next and I shall be very eager to meet you. (Apr would be a busy month with my official and personal engagements. )
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 13:02   #851
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Do let me know when you are in Bangalore next and I shall be very eager to meet you.
Sure. I will send a PM to you, MK. Thanks.

Old 5th April 2016, 10:44   #852
BHPian

Hello Team-BHP Bulleteers, I wanted to create a comprehensive coverage of Royal Enfield One Ride 2016. I created the opening post of the thread describing One Ride in my city, Kolkata. Please contribute to the thread with description, pictures and videos of One Ride in your respective cities. Please do not miss to mention the city name in bold at the start of the post. Below is the link to the thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...e-kolkata.html

Dear Ravi sir, my intention is not to hijack this wonderful thread by any means. I just wanted to reach out to the maximum number of RE fans on this forum for contribution to the above thread. I hope that will be OK with you.

Thanks
Partha
Old 5th April 2016, 11:47   #853
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
I hope that will be OK with you.
Perfectly alright, Partha. Me and my bird are temporarily separated by 350 km. Otherwise, I too would have joined Royal Enfield One Ride 2016.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 18:30   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Need guidance on squealing sound from rear disc brake and poor response after rim setting and water wash.
This requires the cleaning of your rear disc, possible dirt the culprit.
Old 11th April 2016, 15:23   #855
J.Ravi

Silicone Grip For My Phone

Quote:
While riding in AP in the first day [15 Feb 2016], the wind force was so heavy in the morning, it dislodged my phone from the holder and it flew out, but luckily, I took a catch on my left hand, thereby saving my mobile. But, on the second time near Chilakaluripeta, I was not lucky. It flew out as I was going in 100 kmph speed and dropped on the road. Fortunately, there were no vehicles behind me, I came back and retrieved it. Thank god, it did not break; only some scratches on the back side.
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-screenshot_20160411143814408.jpeg

After this incident, I became a collector of rubber bands for use during my remaining part of the Golden Quadrilateral ride. Due to continuous ride in hot summer, the rubber bands became sticky and unusable requiring frequent replacement.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_6233.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_6231.jpg

On 18 March 2016, I ordered a universal phone holder having a silicone band from Ali Express, costing $ 4.57 [₹ 317.01]. Today, I received it.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_6237.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_6238.jpg

Actually, I would be using the silicone grip only in the existing set up, keeping the holder as a back-up. Since my Thunderbird 500 is 350 km away from me, I tried this on my son's Classic 500 and am fully satisfied. So, I don't have to fear of jumping phones in my next ride!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th April 2016 at 15:26.
  (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks