Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2016, 18:16   #961
J.Ravi

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
I needed your advice whether the purchase of tb350 cc would relieve me of my wrist pain and back niggles to a larger extent?
I am comfortable with my bird's contoured seat and raised handlebar. So far, I have not felt any wrist pain or backache during my long rides including my longest ride of Kolkata-Delhi, 1,538 km [odometer] in 29 hours. Riding posture and seat contribute a lot for a comfortable ride. Kindly have test-rides from different dealers on different roads before deciding.

I wish to quote my own post in a different thread here regarding the contoured rider's seat in my Thunderbird:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
During my long rides, to break the monotony, I used to sit on the back seat of my Thunderbird 500, stretching my hands and legs in a straight line and ride, which I found soothing and relaxing.

Recently, a friend of mine got a custom-made gel cover for his Ducati Scrambler's rider's seat, costing around ₹ 3 k+. He brought his Ducati to my home for demo. I went for a spin more for testing its speed rather than the seat! I found no difference in the comfort offered by my bird's OE stock rider's seat and Ducati Scrambler's custom-made gel covered rider's seat. I touched and manually applied pressure with my fingers on both. I did not find any difference. So, I have decided to have the same old OE stock rider's seat without gel cover for my bird. I don't know whether Thunderbird's rider's seat has a gel top layer beneath the cover. The specification is silent on that.
Quote:
Salutes to your grit and what not
Thanks for the compliments.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 26th November 2016 at 18:25.

Old 2nd December 2016, 17:29   #962
BHPian

Quote:

I needed your advice whether the purchase of tb350 cc would relieve me of my wrist pain and back niggles to a larger extent? I take the madhya kailash-iit-manapakkam-porur-kattupakkam-thirumazhisai route to Sriperumbudur. Looking forward to your kind words.

Thanks
Hi MDED,

I ride the TB500 as well and have owned it for almost a year now. I used to ride the Pulsar 220 DTSi before this and experienced a fair amount of back and wrist pain. I don't have those issues anymore, at least in the city.

Another thing that many of us need to keep in mind is that our desk jobs and sedentary lifestyles affect our backs. It is important to strengthen back muscles as well as sit properly while working. Doing this also will help reduce back strain.

Parikshith
parik_ind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 13:07   #963
J.Ravi

I noticed B Bird idling at 1,500 rpm - as against the normal 1,000 - since a few days. I tried in vain adjusting the idling brass screw below the rider's seat. The excess idling did not reduce. I examined the breather tube for any puncture, but I could not find any. So, I rode to Sri Velavan Motors, 1000 Lights, Chennai, where a mechanic removed the breather tube, cut a portion at the end and fitted it back. Now, B Bird idles around 1,000 rpm! I was not charged for this.
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 16:50   #964
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed B Bird idling at 1,500 rpm - as against the normal 1,000 - since a few days. I tried in vain adjusting the idling brass screw below the rider's seat. The excess idling did not reduce. I examined the breather tube for any puncture, but I could not find any. So, I rode to Sri Velavan Motors, 1000 Lights, Chennai, where a mechanic removed the breather tube, cut a portion at the end and fitted it back. Now, B Bird idles around 1,000 rpm! I was not charged for this.
Ravi Sir, I made trips to the company owned outlet at Besant Nagar and Velavan motors at Greams Road, Chennai and I must say that the follow up of Velavan motors is excellent and the company owned outlet didn't bothered much to call back and ask for booking of the vehicle. Last Wednesday I met with an accident on Chennai Bangalore highway near Poonamallee bypass. I am now seriously looking forward to sell my Honda Unicorn 150 cc and immediately book Thunderbird 350 cc. If you happen to know any reliable place in Chennai wherein I can sell my bike.
Thanks
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 17:36   #965
J.Ravi

Quote:
the follow up of Velavan motors is excellent and the company owned outlet didn't bothered much to call back and ask for booking of the vehicle.
Yes. Sri Velavan Motors is very good. Even, I had a test-ride of Himalayan with them without any problem. The RE brand store at Besant Nagar gave one excuse or the other. I gave up finally.

Quote:
Last Wednesday I met with an accident on Chennai Bangalore highway near Poonamallee bypass.
Sorry to hear that. Take care.

Quote:
If you happen to know any reliable place in Chennai wherein I can sell my bike.
Why don't you insert ad in Team-BHP Classifieds/OLX/Quickr? You will get better offers directly from the potential buyers.

I wish you all the best and speedy recovery.

Old 20th December 2016, 20:43   #966
BHPian

Quote:
I met with an accident on Chennai Bangalore highway near Poonamallee bypass. I am now seriously looking forward to sell my Honda Unicorn 150 cc and immediately book Thunderbird 350 cc.
Thanks
That sounds weird. Upgrading to TB350 because you had a accident. I dont want to jump on conclusions. May I enquire how the accident happened ?
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:45   #967
J.Ravi

It's time for some update.

The day-before-yesterday, Blue Bird electric-started in the very first cranking after hibernating for about 3 weeks.

I have bought some tools as detailed here.

Yesterday, B Bird got her tyre pressure topped up using the new 230V 500W electric compressor.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07332.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-tyrepressure.jpg

From now onwards, the 12V ResQTech tyre inflator will be used on the highways only.

By 4 pm, I connected the battery charger to charge B Bird's battery. When I checked at 9:30 pm, it was still charging. So, I left it in the charging mode overnight. This morning, I found the battery fully charged.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07351.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07359.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07361.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07366.jpg

I used the 2" x 4' 3M reflective tapes in white, red and yellow colours bought from amazon.in on B Bird and my helmet, not only to enhance their safety, but also to hide the man-made scratches.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07334.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07341.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07346.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07337.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc07348.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 14:45   #968
BHPian

Hello Ravi Sir,
I had sold my Unicorn a week back and booked C350 Chestnut at the company owned store at Adyar. The OTR price is Rs 1,47,830 which includes Road Tax and registration charges at Rs 11,073. I find the road tax and registration charges on a steeper side. As per govt. Of Tamilnadu registration rules, lifetime road tax for vehicles exceeding 170 CC is Rs 3000 and the registration fee is Rs 200. Then how come the dealer had quoted Rs 11,073 for road tax and registration. Kindly shed more light on how much you had paid under this head.
Old 5th February 2017, 18:43   #969
J.Ravi

Quote:
I had sold my Unicorn a week back and booked C350 Chestnut at the company owned store at Adyar.
Congratulations and best wishes, MDED.

Quote:
Kindly shed more light on how much you had paid under this head.
The life-time road tax: ₹ 12,962. The registration fees: ₹ 60.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-img_20170205_182627.jpg
  (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 22:59   #970
BHPian

Quote:
The life-time road tax: ₹ 12,962. The registration fees: ₹ 60.

Attachment 1604503
Sir, as per the rates quoted on TN Govt website it is Rs 3000 only.
Sourcehttp://www.tn.gov.in/sta/t6.html

Last edited by MDED : 5th February 2017 at 23:00.
Old 6th February 2017, 07:47   #971
J.Ravi

Quote:
Sir, as per the rates quoted on TN Govt website it is Rs 3000 only.
Another page in the same website of TN government says that LTT is 8% of the total cost of the motorcycle with effect from 01/07/2008. In case of my bird, the ex-showroom price was ₹ 162,014, 8% of which worked out to ₹ 12,961.12 and they collected ₹ 12,962.

http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/t8.html

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-ltt.jpg
  (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 19:08   #972
BHPian

I took delivery of TBTS 350 yesterday and found the headlight beam to be too low. Half of the beam is on my front mud guard. When I checked with the ASS they have mentioned TBTS headlight unit is fixed and no adjustments are possible.

Any suggestions here?
Old 13th February 2017, 22:53   #973
BHPian

Update on my classic 350:
I was promised delivery this weekend and I called the dealership to check on the status of the bike and the manager told it is not possible to have the bike delivered before March second week. I was informed that RE has stopped the production of BSIII vehicles as mandatory BSIV compliance kicks in from April 1, 2017. First BSIV engine shall be given to Himalayan and subsequently to other vehicles. He also mentioned that first the new emission norms compliant vehicles will be dispatched to North, East and Western parts of India and Chennai's turn to get the vehicle delivered will be later.

I am not sure whether to trust whatever the manager at showroom told me.
Old 14th February 2017, 07:27   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Update on my classic 350:
I was promised delivery this weekend and I called the dealership to check on the status of the bike and the manager told it is not possible to have the bike delivered before March second week. I was informed that RE has stopped the production of BSIII vehicles as mandatory BSIV compliance kicks in from April 1, 2017. First BSIV engine shall be given to Himalayan and subsequently to other vehicles. He also mentioned that first the new emission norms compliant vehicles will be dispatched to North, East and Western parts of India and Chennai's turn to get the vehicle delivered will be later.

I am not sure whether to trust whatever the manager at showroom told me.
You can call 044 – 422-30400 and reach out to your specific area sales manager if required.
Old 15th February 2017, 23:06   #975
J.Ravi

Chennai -> Bangalore

Blue Bird brought me to Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home (355 km) safely and comfortably at 9:45 pm today. We had left Chennai Royapettah home at 2:30 pm; there was a km-long traffic jam at Hyundai plant; managed to zigzag with some off-road ride and came out of it; had evening tiffin at Saisangeet, Vaniambadi from 6 to 6:45 pm; had thankful of petrol at Reliance between Krishnagiri and Hosur, costing ₹ 71.61/litre.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks